MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is it worth it to keep images at StockXpert for Thinkstock royalties?  (Read 34099 times)

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 06:39 »
Why do so many people find that SS is their biggest earning site in dollars? Not because it has the highest return per download, or highest commissions. It's because they sell the most licenses.
Aaaahhhh.... I think I'll put it in big red letters too  :P

SS and TS both give 0.25$ to starters, yes. At TS you will be a starter till hell freezes over. At SS, you have a growth path and with a decent port you'll be soon on 0.33$. I'm for a while on 0.36$.

Then, SS has regular ELs at 28$ and frequent ODs, giving an effective RPD of 0.60$ or so.
TS will give a maximum of 0.80$ on image pack sales, so even with 50% IP sales on TS, you'll still have a lower RPD.

Finally, since TS will only be accessible through IS, they'll throw your full sizes to the crocodiles, while at SS, most of us upload reduced sizes.

ap

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 13:08 »
Why do so many people find that SS is their biggest earning site in dollars? Not because it has the highest return per download, or highest commissions. It's because they sell the most licenses.
Aaaahhhh.... I think I'll put it in big red letters too  :P

SS and TS both give 0.25$ to starters, yes. At TS you will be a starter till hell freezes over. At SS, you have a growth path and with a decent port you'll be soon on 0.33$. I'm for a while on 0.36$.

Then, SS has regular ELs at 28$ and frequent ODs, giving an effective RPD of 0.60$ or so.
TS will give a maximum of 0.80$ on image pack sales, so even with 50% IP sales on TS, you'll still have a lower RPD.

Finally, since TS will only be accessible through IS, they'll throw your full sizes to the crocodiles, while at SS, most of us upload reduced sizes.

in my experience, i find ss to be the biggest earner due to the high # of ELs + ODs, rather than the #of licenses sold. I have yet to have an EL at is (i wonder why?). does thinkstock have ELs or ODs? if not, then a pure sub site is just a sub site. it really need a high turnover to make it worthwhile.

also, i've not seen anything lower than .36 for a sub sale or xsmall credit sale at 123. however i've seen $5+ for their extra large tiffs.

i guess people's rancor at ts has a lot to do with taking away the credit sales program in existence at StockXpert, where again i have seen $5+ sales for extra large images.

however, i don't see ts as a bad thing. i use it to dump, er, i mean place my more marginal photos that haven't sold. as an independent, i mix and match all the different agencies to their best use. you get to know what each agency's strengths and weaknesses are and place your portfolio accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 13:17 by ap »

RacePhoto

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 14:22 »
So true. Keep in mind I'm not saying that people should have a kind and warm feeling about ThinkStock, nor that they should embrace the "25c until Hell Freezes Over" payment program. Just pointing out that there are some contradictions in the logic against this change, and we haven't seen a full week of it's existence.

Hand wringing that StockXpert is gone, that income is lost. No it isn't! The buyers have to either go someplace else or suddenly stop buying photo licenses. Does anyone think that the customers from StockXpert are going out of business because StockXpert shut down? OK they will be buying at some other microstock site, the customers and sales have migrated. Some of that will be to ThinkStock.

Might as well add that we can scream until HFO and nothing is going to change with the photo dumping site. Which I'd call more politely a consolidation of many scattered, withering Getty owned sites. This is a good move for them to get all these orphans into one home. It should bring in buyers and sales.

If it was an option I'd go exclusive on SS. That's how much I like their sales based on volume, occasional .81 and $1.88 ODs and less frequent $28 ELs. IS is still my best Microstock RPD but there are less, so based on the one thing that matters, Bottom Line, Dollars earned, SS is still #1.

SS minimum is 4mp, IS is 2mp, StockXpert was 1mp, anyone want to guess what sizes will be the minimum on ThinkStock? I don't know. Best value for buyers is getting 4mp files from SS. Cheap subs on ThinkStock, what size? Good question? IS exclusives not joining, that's fine because ThinkStock isn't that kind of place. It's a big value priced collection not a modern highest quality stock photo offering.

StockXpert was getting old, with many small files. The fact that they accepted things that others didn't, points to lower acceptance standards, nothing else. Merging the StockXpert collection into one place with some other stale photos, on a single value priced site, makes perfect business sense. Adding the IS collection, especially exclusive content, at subscription prices, to that same site, doesn't make any sense.

Aaaahhhh.... I think I'll put it in big red letters too  :P

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 14:41 »
Asking hypothetically ...  What if Getty gets it right with ThinkStock and creates a viable competitor to Shutterstock's subscription model?

How bad do things get for contributors?

How good do things get for contributors?

-Mark
http://markwpayne.wordpress.com

RacePhoto

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 15:05 »
Asking hypothetically ...  What if Getty gets it right with ThinkStock and creates a viable competitor to Shutterstock's subscription model?

-Mark

Wait and see? That's what I've really been trying to say.

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 15:14 »
...Hand wringing that StockXpert is gone, that income is lost. No it isn't! The buyers have to either go someplace else or suddenly stop buying photo licenses...
I want them to go someplace else, it is called shutterstock but any of the other subs sites that pay me much more commission than TS will do :)

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 15:28 »

-Mark

Actually, I think that is a bad choice in this case.  If you wait and see - i.e. leave your images on StockXpert to be sold on ThinkStock - you are helping them to succeed with this lower commission rate.   You would be competing with your own images wherever they are (SS, FT, BigStock, etc.) at lower prices.  Sounds like cutting your own throat to me.

Will be cashing out and deleting my port from StockXpert soon I think.
fred

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2010, 17:35 »

The heck with photography... let's talk about this fantastic smiley face beer toasting icon... 
now that's superb, sir!! LOL  8)=tom

btw...  I left my pix on StockXpert and didn't crash out because I was told my stuff was being migrated over.  As of today, they still aren't there as is none of my junk from IS.   go figure...

RacePhoto

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2010, 21:56 »
Leaf needs to get my collection and add them.

The heck with photography... let's talk about this fantastic smiley face beer toasting icon... 
now that's superb, sir!! LOL  8)=tom

btw...  I left my pix on StockXpert and didn't crash out because I was told my stuff was being migrated over.  As of today, they still aren't there as is none of my junk from IS.   go figure...