MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: IPTC problems persist after years of "continues to work on this issue"  (Read 6242 times)

« on: March 02, 2010, 11:03 »
Just a rant on my part that IS still can't read my IPTC data via Mac OSX 10.6.2  and CS4 Photoshop. They sent me nearly the same response as they did over a year ago:

Thank you very much for your message.

We appreciate the frustration of the meta data not being read consistently. The error is not happening for everyone, even when they use similar processes and software.

Our team continues to work on this issue.

Sincerely,

Tina
iStockphoto LP
Contributor Relations

It is truly not worth the effort for me to re-enter all the data...even for IS.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:06 »
If I were you, I'd give serious consideration to DeepMeta for iS upload.  I started using it a couple of months ago when the developer finally got it working for Snow Leopard and am pretty pleased with the experience.  It does read IPTC data even if iStock itself won't, and it lets you do your disambiguation and attach releases in advance, uploading as slots become available.  Best of all, it's free.

RT

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:36 »
Another vote for Deepmeta on a Mac, so much easier than the iS upload process.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:56 »
I resisted DM for a long time, thinking that contributors shouldn't have to install extra software just to upload to a site. But it is clearly evident IS has no intention of ever fixing it, so I just gave in. So far I haven't had any issues with DeepMeta and IPTC.

But be aware...there was a time when even DM people were having issues with IPTC being read correctly. It is definitely on IS's end, but no solution is likely to come.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58 »
I'll throw in another for DeepMeta, it works well, and has a lot of features that can make life easier on you.  It is far better than manually uploading through the web pages on iStock, and less time consuming. 

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 13:18 »
The most "advanced" site out there doesn't have ftp uploads (even deepmeta can't handle vectors). Also ITPC from vectors doesn't load from me. If you add disambiguation (which is good for buyers though) it becomes the most annoying site to upload to. At least sales are worth it :D

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 19:04 »
I resisted DM for a long time, thinking that contributors shouldn't have to install extra software just to upload to a site. But it is clearly evident IS has no intention of ever fixing it, so I just gave in. So far I haven't had any issues with DeepMeta and IPTC.

But be aware...there was a time when even DM people were having issues with IPTC being read correctly. It is definitely on IS's end, but no solution is likely to come.

pretty much my thinking too, been using DM about 6 months now. Have tried a number of programs on my PC to keyword in and cant get it read by istock. It's been much longer than a year though. Always thought it showed a lack of respect and their lack of interest in their contributors, each time they come out with something new, I think 'yep but you havent fixed iptc' 

dbvirago

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 19:21 »
Since starting with deepmeta, I consistently get my weekly 15 done for the first time since being on IS.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 19:44 »
I'd guess anything that doesn't cause the monster squid page to show up or help with reaching their revenue goal is probably lower on the priority list.

And since IPTC probably doesn't affect either of those it probably keeps getting bumped down by other stuff like Thinkstock.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 19:48 »
I thought only I had a problem, using Exifer.  I remember having written to IS twice nd receiving a "we are aware of this issue", with no solution ever in plans, it seems.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 22:52 »
Just a rant on my part that IS still can't read my IPTC data via Mac OSX 10.6.2  and CS4 Photoshop. They sent me nearly the same response as they did over a year ago:

Thank you very much for your message.

We appreciate the frustration of the meta data not being read consistently. The error is not happening for everyone, even when they use similar processes and software.

Our team continues to work on this issue.

Sincerely,

Tina
iStockphoto LP
Contributor Relations

It is truly not worth the effort for me to re-enter all the data...even for IS.

Eh
I just give up with any ranting and complains about that. (I have about 10 or 15 posts about that)
From photo images they have about 50% ratio in reading keyword from IPTC but from vector images 0%.
Actually no big deal e.g. BigStock and canStock also dont read IPTC data from Vector pair jpg images.
So I stop ranting and have opened this File Infos during upload and Copy/Paste.
More fair from iStock will bee they confession that they sys dont read it or that they are unable to fix it.
OK Bla bla about Deep Sht Meta (allways in beta) which is not develop for non Intel processor and even in future if they fix they fix they Beta status they dont support vector and movie uploads and in this case we are in same circular problem about upload...
Copy/Paste keywords from FileInfo fast as you can and forget they promise that they will fix it...

PS
month or two before I dont know how I browse thru they forum and find Thread about another third part application for mobile phones for like dashboard or widget called
Cattle or iCattle???
And PLS dont tell me anything about my poor wannabe joke that in my language iStock means Cattle.
Anyhow I dont except any good news from them in future...
Go as you go, tomorrow is new day...
Live long and prosper V

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 18:27 »
The problem is that there are two types of IPTC. The "legacy" (old) one and the XMP model by Adobe that was meant as a superset of it. A few new sites had problems with it. I remember I had to send some code to LO to get it solved on their site. There are a few tricks in that code. Apparently IS doesn't want to invest in it. After DeepMeta, it just doesn't matter any more. Are there still people around not using DeepMeta?
FYI: I use Irfanview and it only writes the legacy IPTC. The only problem is with BigStock that takes old field values when you overwrite them with new values.

RacePhoto

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 21:47 »
The problem is that there are two types of IPTC. The "legacy" (old) one and the XMP model by Adobe that was meant as a superset of it. A few new sites had problems with it. I remember I had to send some code to LO to get it solved on their site. There are a few tricks in that code. Apparently IS doesn't want to invest in it. After DeepMeta, it just doesn't matter any more. Are there still people around not using DeepMeta?
FYI: I use Irfanview and it only writes the legacy IPTC. The only problem is with BigStock that takes old field values when you overwrite them with new values.

So true. Actually Breeze Browser solves the issue by writing both legacy and XMP, but just what we needed, writing the data, then opening it again in another piece of software, changing a comma (because it doesn't write "new" data unless there's something new) Sometimes that means changing the data three times, just so all the sites might read it.

XMP standard is much better and as soon as the sites start reading it properly it would be beneficial to everyone.