pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: unsuitable camera?  (Read 25473 times)

« on: March 29, 2010, 18:58 »
anyone else getting rejections for an unsuitable camera?  i've been getting images from my sony hx1 ACCEPTED OVER THE LAST YEAR AT ALAMy - suddenly it's unsuitable - i susxpect a  reviewer just looks at exif and doesnt bother looking at the actual image.  all the images i submit to alamy are photomerged panoramas, using 3 or 4 or more images, so i don't need much if any upsizing - these images do fine with SS and istock. 

i'm about ready to give up on alamy, but wanted to frst try to see if it's just one rogue reviewer or a new policy [no reply from alamy support]

their silly 'toss the whole batch' policy is bad enuf...

s

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 20:24 »
Alamy has an Approved Camera List

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/recommended-digital-cameras.asp

and also an Unsuitable Camera List which your HX1 is on.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/unsuitable-cameras.asp

And since you're submitting stuff with a camera that doesn't meet their requirements, yes, they're probably automatically rejecting them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 20:26 by PaulieWalnuts »

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 21:55 »
I guess it's something new 'cause I have many accepted images from non approved camera.

Xalanx

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:05 »
I think (hope) it's just a matter of time until all stock agencies will require at least a DSLR.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:57 »
Apparently all the models of the Canon Powershot G series above the G7 are accepted, good to know:)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10 »
I think (hope) it's just a matter of time until all stock agencies will require at least a DSLR.

AMEN

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:48 »
I've plenty of old 6MP images that were all passing thru QC like a breeze until november or december, now they're rejecting everything apart pin-sharp human portraits or images with big sharp subjects.

Anything else goes to the bin and they also ley you wait a week or more to tell you failed QC because of "SoLD".

As i'm now shooting 12MP and 18MP i couldn't care less, i'm afraid i'll thrash those oldies and keep shooting higher-res images.

In any case it would have been polite for Alamy to at least write in their blog that from now on the minimum acceptable is 12MP, they made me waste a lot of time for nothing.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 13:28 »
I remove all metadata (except keywords) before submitting to anybody. It eliminates a lot problems.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 13:56 by rimglow »

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 14:00 »
I just have some of Sony Alpha shots which are in my backlog for alamy... After that I have several thousand made with Nikon D80... And in the meantime I upload shots made with Nikon D300 and Alpha 850 ;-)

Nevertheless, I don't upload the same series or similars to both micro and macro... It is not professional!

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 14:32 »
in my case they rejected mostly images with trees or crowds with skyscrapers.

of course a 6MP bunch of trees looks like sh.. when resized to 18MP but they never
had any problems months ago.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 15:13 »
I've plenty of old 6MP images that were all passing thru QC like a breeze until november or december, now they're rejecting everything apart pin-sharp human portraits or images with big sharp subjects.

Anything else goes to the bin and they also ley you wait a week or more to tell you failed QC because of "SoLD".

In any case it would have been polite for Alamy to at least write in their blog that from now on the minimum acceptable is 12MP, they made me waste a lot of time for nothing.

yep - that's been my experience too - i had a batch of cybershot images accepted in jan, but nothing since.

it's really pretty silly - quality should be the measure not snobbery or seeing who's camera is bigger

i've been selling these images thru ss, is, dt and others with no complaints -   the hx1 has a feature that takes 6 quick images and then prepares a sharp composite.  i have a neuropathy that left my right hand unable to work a camera, and get tremors, but with the hx1 i get better resuts than with my dslr, even with a tripod.

s
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 15:16 by cascoly »

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 15:57 »
there's nothing we can do.

if you've still 6MP images you can forget about it, only sharp portraits will pass QC, anything more complex will get rejected with disdain.

after all any other RM agencies ask for minimum 12MP photos so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

with 800$ you can buy a 18MP like the Canon Rebel 550D.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56 »

OMG! I think that the ONLY thing which matters should be image quality. Clear example of insanity was (not sure if its still that way) Getty - ALL Canon/Nikon/Leica were ok including those very old models with just 4Mpix - but NONE Sony or Olympus DSLR was there - what??? And btw. some Ricoh models or Sigma DP1/DP2 are often well above cheap DSLR with kit lens. And all current P&S are definitely MUCH better then any old C/N DSLR from the beginning of digital era... These "suitable" cameras are often very disputable...

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 07:38 »
They say they accept those old models but then if you submit the images they'll get all rejected.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02 »
OMG! I think that the ONLY thing which matters should be image quality.

So vision, concept, and salability don't matter?

Clear example of insanity was (not sure if its still that way) Getty - ALL Canon/Nikon/Leica were ok including those very old models with just 4Mpix - but NONE Sony or Olympus DSLR was there - what??? And btw. some Ricoh models or Sigma DP1/DP2 are often well above cheap DSLR with kit lens.

Some of the Olympus stuff is on the approved list.

And all current P&S are definitely MUCH better then any old C/N DSLR from the beginning of digital era... These "suitable" cameras are often very disputable...

I don't think a typical tiny-sensor P&S camera would have better image quality than even the oldest DSLR. But, some of the new hybrid stuff like a Panasonic DP1 or Olympus PEN probably would be way better.

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40 »
P&S have improved dramatically but at the same price of a high-end P&S you can buy a cheap Canon Rebel so what's the point in using P&S anyway ?

i wonder how many people is sending images taken with an iPhone and complaining about rejections...

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:11 »
P&S have improved dramatically but at the same price of a high-end P&S you can buy a cheap Canon Rebel so what's the point in using P&S anyway ?

P&S cameras are obviously small and as such fit in backpacks and in pockets and are just way less obtrusive than SLRs. As such they capture images that would likely never get taken. So, yeh they have a purpose and I think if they create salable images of unique images then the image should be judged on that. There is way too much pixel peeping in this world.

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:44 »
You'll never make saleable images with a P&S in bad or low light conditions, think about inside airplanes,
trains, waiting rooms, the only places where i shoot with P&S but it's just for fun, i never made crisp and sharp
images in these places, even using flash.

they're only good outdoor in optimal conditions but then why not using a DSLR ?

RacePhoto

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 16:08 »

P&S cameras are obviously small and as such fit in backpacks and in pockets and are just way less obtrusive than SLRs. As such they capture images that would likely never get taken. So, yeh they have a purpose and I think if they create salable images of unique images then the image should be judged on that. There is way too much pixel peeping in this world.

Probably has more to do with sensor size and pixel packing than image sizes. A 6MP image from a 10-D is much better than a 12MP image from a P&S.

You can fit 12 people in a VW Bug, but it's a clown car, not a comfortable shuttle bus!  ;D

You can't trick Mother Nature or Father Physics. Tiny pixels, crammed into a tiny sensor will never look as good as a DSLR size sensor. Sony Hx1 sensor size is  1/2.4 " 9MP. Canon 40-D for example is APS-C 10MP. It's not hard to figure out that a sensor that's 13 times larger in area will produce much better images!

So vision, concept, and salability don't matter?
Not on Alamy. Only image quality is checked by QC. No rejections for "we don't need these at this time" or "Not suitable for stock" or any of the usual vague micro rejections.

If it was true that would be a reason for them to post it in the blog. I had 85 new images accepted last week. No problems. 10MP DSLR Want me to send in something from the 10-D to get accepted to prove my point? SoLD is just what they say. Doesn't matter if you are shooting the latest new big sensor toy or a Bridge camera, the image must meet their quality standards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 16:20 by RacePhoto »

Xalanx

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 16:14 »
P&S are good as gifts for your kids, or for people with "japanese hand" syndrome. You know, the ones that go click-click-click until the card is full.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 16:24 »
You'll never make saleable images with a P&S in bad or low light conditions, think about inside airplanes,
trains, waiting rooms, the only places where i shoot with P&S but it's just for fun, i never made crisp and sharp
images in these places, even using flash.

I partially disagree with this, at least if you are calling any compact a P&S.  I have a Canon Powershot A620, 7MPix, and I have taken some very nice sharp and well exposed images with it, even under non-optimal conditions.  Some have been accepted in Alamy - I haven't uploaded lately so I can not say they still would.  But just because they may not be upsizable to their 48MB minimum, it doesn't mean they are not sellable, especially given that many (perhaps most) editorial images will not require anything larger than the original size.  A 1/4th page is about 4x6in, therefore a 2MPix camera would deliver that size without crop.  A 7MPix can deliver a full page quality image.

RacePhoto

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 16:26 »
P&S are good as gifts for your kids, or for people with "japanese hand" syndrome. You know, the ones that go click-click-click until the card is full.

Xalanx-tally correct.  ;D

I'll add they are nice in the car, while I'm driving down the Interstate. Good for camping, family vacations, quick shots to have some fun, friends and family, and SNAPSHOTS. P&S will make dandy 4x6 prints for a photo album.

This is going off track again. Here's the list. I didn't write it, I'm not even on the same continent as Alamy. They make the rules...

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/unsuitable-cameras.asp

Unsuitable Canon cameras:  http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/unsuitable-canon-list.asp

Canon PowerShot A620
Canon PowerShot G7
Canon EOS-1D (4 megapixe in case anyone wonders)
and many more, as far as I can tell, that's anything Powershot starting with the letter A, and all G models from 7 backwards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 16:38 by RacePhoto »

macrosaur

This user is banned.
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 17:11 »
even a 100$ nikon Coolpix with 8MP will make pics for Alamy in theory but under which condition ? blue sky, sun, outdoor, non moving subjects, and a good lot of photoshop post processing ...

i had a photo blog with my  early pix shot in 1024x768 and resized for the web in 550px ... they all looked great
on a laptop, i've nothing against P&S, i mean they're TOYS for snapshots, that's what they are for.

of course you can make the odd good saleable photo.

Xalanx

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 17:39 »
We're talking stock agencies requirements here, where absolutely ANY point-and-shoot should be banned - even the best of them, as DP2 or the Pen (which is not really a P&S), or LX3, or Canon's G-Klasse :P . DSLRs are already extremely cheap so almost anyone could afford one. I'm sure there can happen these days to get an image from a P&S approved at some agency, but that shouldn't be a reason to be proud of. Again - it's about the present time, not 5 years ago.
Macrosaur is right - these things are toys, nothing more.

RacePhoto

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 14:33 »
even a 100$ nikon Coolpix with 8MP will make pics for Alamy in theory but under which condition ? blue sky, sun, outdoor, non moving subjects, and a good lot of photoshop post processing ...

Not Really!

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/unsuitable-nikon-list.asp

See above, the sensor is too small. End of story.