MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia exclusives opted out of subs?  (Read 16350 times)

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 18:41 »
These 123RF and Ft discrepacies in numers, can be caused by the fact oh having x files in one site and 10x at ther other. Actually, the only way for measuring the potential of an agency is looking at Return Per Image. Beside that, it's all smoke and mirrors.
I have 350 images at FT and possibly around the same at 123RF (I can't check because of the login problem - what a great site!) 

I know my numbers are statistically small, but there is a consistent difference for me in FT vs 123, and I am surprised that some people experience the opposite (as they must be surprised with my results as well).

ap

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 23:11 »
I made 30x more at Fotolia last month than I did at 123RF.
Fotolia has always been twice worse than 123RF.

[/quote]

just to be contrarian, i made 70x more at 123 than ft last month, only last month.

lisafx

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 13:43 »

Personally I find it hard not to say impossible to see anybody else but IStock reigning supreme, they are and have been all the time, inventors and mentors, etc. this, you cant take away from them, never mind personal views and feelings, they are stable and with visions AND they are with Getty!  pretty safe bet I would say.

I would have agreed with this before Thinkstock.  I think that's a game changer.  To me it is a major indication that the folks at IS HQ are not calling the shots.  I don't think Getty gives a rat's patoot about IS or their exclusives.  It's just another commodity. 

I would even argue that Getty, technically, is a failed company.  They had to be short sold two years ago.  The only part of their company that is consistently turning a profit is Istock, and they seem determined to bleed that dry and toss away the husk. 

As for rankings of the various sites - Istock still ranks above FT in traffic, etc. but Fotolia has been steadily gaining on them.   I don't always agree with every decision made by FT, but it is obvious they are playing to win. 

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 15:38 »
As for rankings of the various sites - Istock still ranks above FT in traffic, etc. but Fotolia has been steadily gaining on them.   I don't always agree with every decision made by FT, but it is obvious they are playing to win. 

I've extracted the data from my spreadsheet to illustrate just how fast FT have been gaining on IS. You can view the last 28 months on a graph by clicking on the link below. The Y axis is the % each agency contributes to my total stock income;

http://tinyurl.com/IS-FT-last28months

As Lisa says __ FT are playing to win.

lagereek

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 00:13 »

Personally I find it hard not to say impossible to see anybody else but IStock reigning supreme, they are and have been all the time, inventors and mentors, etc. this, you cant take away from them, never mind personal views and feelings, they are stable and with visions AND they are with Getty!  pretty safe bet I would say.

I would have agreed with this before Thinkstock.  I think that's a game changer.  To me it is a major indication that the folks at IS HQ are not calling the shots.  I don't think Getty gives a rat's patoot about IS or their exclusives.  It's just another commodity. 

I would even argue that Getty, technically, is a failed company.  They had to be short sold two years ago.  The only part of their company that is consistently turning a profit is Istock, and they seem determined to bleed that dry and toss away the husk. 

Hi Lisa!

True!  I dont think IS has ever called the shots. The Getty guys always like to be in charge for better or worse. Thinkstock??  dont know much about that? what is ist? a subscription-site?
Whatever, I opted-out of that one. Did you?
Fotolia is gaining and gaining a lot, as far as I know theyre independant as well and that means a lot nowdays. Not bound and gaged, etc.

best.

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12 »
Gostwyck... Your graph makes very interesting reading thanks for posting. It would be great for IS to have a serious competitor and it looks like it's not far off. For me fotolia and dreamstime are nose to nose but that's with a portfolio of 1500 images. 

lisafx

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 18:43 »
Gostwyck... Your graph makes very interesting reading thanks for posting.

Completely agree.  Thanks for posting that.  If I were to make a similar graph it would likely show the same. 

Anyone who doubts FT is out to challenge IS should consider that they have hired at least two former Istock execs. 

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 20:52 »
...I've extracted the data from my spreadsheet to illustrate just how fast FT have been gaining on IS. You can view the last 28 months on a graph by clicking on the link below. The Y axis is the % each agency contributes to my total stock income;

For all the negative thoughts I have about FT, I have to give them credit for being the last entrant to the microstock arena who made it beyond the huddle of also-rans to be a major player. They aggressively pioneered selling into markets other than English-speaking and aggressively pursued partnerships and deals. When they introduced V2 software it looked for a while as if they might just have killed the whole operation, but they managed to keep the site going even though very little worked correctly for a very long time.

I do think that more than any other site, FT is creating a very wide chasm between the top earners - independents who get to double (or more) their prices) and just about everybody else. Those who are emerald and above have a vastly different playing field from everyone else. It's not just the higher royalty but the higher prices - and across the whole portfolio, unlike individual images at DT.

I wonder if you took a look at the more middle-tier players (i.e. not emerald & up) and compared FT gold with IS whether you'd see a similar pattern.  Which is not to say that for those who are emerald and up that things aren't rosy at FT, but can FT do great with only the relatively small pool of emerald, sapphire and rubis (1) contributors if things aren't so great for everyone else.

I guess you may not want to be too specific for fear of outing yourself and removing your ability to speak frankly, but I wonder if the period of the graph was all at emerald status?

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 21:18 »
^^^ Nope __ I should have mentioned that, the graph's all at Gold status or below.  Turning Emerald should make for even more interesting figures (and even more difficult decisions).

lagereek

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 12:47 »
^^^ Nope __ I should have mentioned that, the graph's all at Gold status or below.  Turning Emerald should make for even more interesting figures (and even more difficult decisions).

Well I would have been Gold there ages ago if it wasnt that they count small subscriptions in a differant way. Weird.

KB

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 13:14 »
Well I would have been Gold there ages ago if it wasnt that they count small subscriptions in a differant way. Weird.

Don't they count all subscriptions as 1/4 of a "paid" sale?

I just looked at my sales on FT. I'm approaching 4 years there (only 2 seriously), and just today my sub sales now account for exactly 1/2 of my total paid sales (or, IOW, exactly 1/3 of my total sales).  It wasn't too long ago that they were 1/4 of paid sales. Looking over my sales for the last week, sub sales are outnumbering regular sales by nearly 2:1.  >:(

At this rate, it shouldn't take more than a year or two for the sub / paid ratio to be similar to that on SS.  Not that bad, if it weren't for the lower commissions and maximum size giveaways. As it stands, though, not a good thing at all.

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 02:35 »
Interesting how Fotolia is performing for everyone differently. It used to be my number three after Istock, Shutterstock (not specifically in that order) but this month everything seems to stand on hold. Hardly any sales but they do accept almost anything from me suddenly as they didn't in the past.  I have about 1500 files but still only a few are selling all the time. I'm still very puzzeled by Fotolia.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 05:40 by hofhoek »

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 09:40 »
Indeed, the disparity of performances is very curious.  And I had an EL today - first in many weeks anywhere - so I can't really complain, this month they are super.

lagereek

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 01:41 »
Hi Lisa!

Agreeing with you!  FT, is doing a great job indeed. Ive been looking through the files of this new Thinkstock and frankly I dont think theyve got the images to match, seems to be leftovers somehow, not very good stuff Im afraid.

Getty??  well what can you say?  they bark and the others jump! its been like that since 93 you know, they keep enforcing weird stuff onto their sub-agencies and its all in aid of enlisting Exclusives, and for total control but for the serious contributor it has the opposite effect.

best.