MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Photoshop CS5 Preview - Content Aware Fill, How good is it really?  (Read 8902 times)

« on: April 30, 2010, 08:42 »
A just did a little test of the content aware fill in Photoshop CS5 and compared it to CS4

Photoshop CS5 Preview: Content Aware Fil

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:45 »
I never use spot heal.  It's useless.

I figured the content aware fill would only work in very specific situations, which looked great in the demo at 300x200px videos.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55 »
I think that's about what I expected, but it's good to see it in action with something more realistic than the demos.

I don't use spot heal at all, but if you use the healing brush and carefully pick the source you can get some very nice results - things with gradual tone or color variations that can be tricky to match up with the clone tool. My guess is that the content aware fill will be similar - if you're willing to spend a bit of time to work on smaller pieces (i.e. don't just try and replace the whole thing at once) you'll have a good new tool. But it won't be a push-button one-step way to remove a person, sign or other large object from detailed backgrounds. 

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:19 »
I never use spot heal.  It's useless.

I figured the content aware fill would only work in very specific situations, which looked great in the demo at 300x200px videos.

I use the spot healing brush all the time. It's great for quickly removing imperfections in open areas.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:21 by epantha »

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27 »
Yeah, it needs to be a wide open area.  When I am trying to clean up skin, I find it tries to draw information from too far away, or too dark a place.  Patch works much better because I can pick where I want it to use.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 13:02 »
Thanks for the report LEAF . . . you where asking it to perform miracles on that figure, in fact it did better than I expected.  I am sure it is an improvement over the older version.  I do use the spot healing tool all the time to remove those pesty bunnies in the sky.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 18:08 »
I always used healing brush instead of spot healing because I prefer to choose a sample manually.
I tried content aware filter in CS5 and surprisingly sometimes it works perfect, and sometimes it works good enough. I tried it on many different cases. I removed 2 huge objects from the image, and then just needed to retouch some minor details. Anyway, it saves A LOT of time.
It works better on busy surfaces comparing to flat surfaces (like sky). With flat surfaces it tends to leave a patch with just slightly different shade where the removed objects was. But that can also be corrected pretty easy.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 18:14 »
Removing figures surrounded by backgrounds that have some structures that shouldn't be used by program as a sample for cloning can be done by selecting certain areas of the image. This way you can "tell" the filter what not to take as a sample.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29 »

Content Aware Fill is a great tool!! Look at these examples if you don't believe me... ;)

More Photoshop CS5 Content-Aware Fill Sneak Peek Awesomeness

Reef

• website ready 2026 :)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52 »

Content Aware Fill is a great tool!! Look at these examples if you don't believe me... ;)

I heard it can create unique, high selling stock photos - with just one click of the button!

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24 »

More Photoshop CS5 Content-Aware Fill Sneak Peek Awesomeness

haha yeah.. great.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25 »
Thanks for the report LEAF . . . you where asking it to perform miracles on that figure, in fact it did better than I expected.  I am sure it is an improvement over the older version.  I do use the spot healing tool all the time to remove those pesty bunnies in the sky.

yeah I was pushing it a little but it did a pretty good job on the texture of the jeans and even on the door on the top.  When the job is pretty 'easy' or there is a minimum of textures to pick from it does a pretty good job.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:53 »

Adobe really was asking for that!!

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:38 »
Right, I wish I could use Content Aware Fill on my wallet to pay for the upgrade. . . . . .