pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: What would you like in Micro stock?  (Read 12364 times)

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19 »
So what exactly was the point of your initial post, or any of the others if at last you've suddenly realised that there are three parties involved in this industry and each wants the best value out of it?

Perhaps we are privy to his current inner dialogue or something?

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 11:23 »
Also, keep in mind that a distributor has overheads to cover. photogs only submit their work and that is it, but the contributor needs to pay for marketing, hosting, and so on and so forth...
Yes and a photog gets all his stuff for free. I roam around garbage bins to find props, my cam was a gift from aunt Zenoby and I process my shots on an old Commodore 64 I found on the attic. Models don't need payment since they are so happy to see themselves on real sites, not just facebook. And time, well, that's an endless commodity, and so on and so forth...  :P

RacePhoto

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 15:32 »
Also, keep in mind that a distributor has overheads to cover. photogs only submit their work and that is it, but the contributor needs to pay for marketing, hosting, and so on and so forth...
Yes and a photog gets all his stuff for free. I roam around garbage bins to find props, my cam was a gift from aunt Zenoby and I process my shots on an old Commodore 64 I found on the attic. Models don't need payment since they are so happy to see themselves on real sites, not just facebook. And time, well, that's an endless commodity, and so on and so forth...  :P

Say Hi to Aunt Zenoby, she's wonderful. I find my props in resale shops, (on curbs and in trash bins) don't shoot models, use old computers from rummage sales or friends cast offs and edit with Irfanview and Paint.Net. Why shouldn't we work for nothing so the buyers get a good deal, the companies can make money and we can compete for the lowest payback in the Race To The Bottom.  >:(

For everyone else who doesn't have a rich, generous Aunt and free everything like us...  ;D

The real problem as we all know is as simple as supply and demand. (and individual greed) People are working for almost nothing, because that's all the agencies pay now. The reason they pay almost nothing is they have competition undercutting them for prices. (and because photographers are willing to work for nothing!) Every time we contribute to a new site that offers subs and low prices, or 10c per upload introductory offer (greed) we are competing with ourselves and driving prices down!

Real simple, we get low payback for our investment and work, because the competition (other photographers) are willing to sell out and take low pay or pump up any site that will send the $50 for uploading 500 photos.

New money  sites, will sell us out for 10c a download and who's giving them the photos? People who are willing to shoot their business and income in the foot, to get a stinking one time bonus for uploading.

Oh yes, the winners in this whole thing are the buyers who get better and better images, for lower and lower prices.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 14:51 by RacePhoto »

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 18:23 »
what's your point or is this your essay in the monty python redundant statement of the bleedin' obvious contest?

everyone concedes the prices are low, and most people would like more $.  but nothing in this thread, esp from OP adds anything.  indies or even large players are not going to affect the market since it's already too big.  if all the photogs on this forum deleted their portfolios tomorrow, who would notice?

s

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13 »
This also does not help when you guys attack each other. No argument can be won, and we cant debate when we are at each others throats! The point is that I am trying to get an answer! Like I said before, I am a photog myself! I know all about what goes into my own work. So don't for one moment assume that I am saying that a contributor has no expense them selves!

I am trying to get a workable solution to the problem! Question: Why is it that when someone tries to fix things, it is the very one who will benefit from it, who are the ones that does all the attacking?! People, instead of fighting with each other, why don't we put our heads together to solve this issue?

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30 »
..Fact remains that the industry is managed by the wrong people!..
I disagree.  There are some that are becoming too greedy but there are people that I think are doing a good job.  Alamy pay their contributors a decent commission and put most of their profits in to medical research.  Some sites pay us low commissions but they make up for that with high sales volume.  I do think that improvements can be made but I doubt there is anyone here that could run a site better than alamy and the top micro sites.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:40 by sharpshot »

ap

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 02:52 »

Alamy pay their contributors a decent commission and put most of their profits in to medical research. 

um, excuse me? i guess i'm not keeping up with alamy news. are they a quasi non-profit or is this just a side thing? or are they really a biotechnology company hiding behind the facade of stock. in any case, not only quite interesting but certainly worth supporting if the former.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 03:44 »
I put it to you: This HAS TO stop and we MUST come up with a better solution in favour of the contributors! For now, I LOVE the idea of a central place for contributors to load their images and let agencies merely get the meta tags and thumbnails!! Can we make this work?

I'm sorry... you are?

My guess oldhand,macrosaur,persus,oldhippie

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07 »
This also does not help when you guys attack each other. No argument can be won, and we cant debate when we are at each others throats! The point is that I am trying to get an answer! Like I said before, I am a photog myself! I know all about what goes into my own work. So don't for one moment assume that I am saying that a contributor has no expense them selves!

I am trying to get a workable solution to the problem! Question: Why is it that when someone tries to fix things, it is the very one who will benefit from it, who are the ones that does all the attacking?! People, instead of fighting with each other, why don't we put our heads together to solve this issue?

Because "we"'ve all talked about this before.  "We" in quotes, because you just decided to stop by last week and start up something we've already repeatedly discussed, for whatever reason of your own, without any research into "our" past here.

Also, posting anonymously puts you in the "Eh, whatever" side of the group.

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 05:37 »
My bet is on Perseus. Where can I claim my iPod?

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 05:59 »
My bet is on Perseus. Where can I claim my iPod?

I never said there was a prize !

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26 »
I know this thread is not to be taken seriously, but this is what I think we need.

An international organization invested with the legal authority to control prices, commissions and ethicism of the agencies.
I would be willing to help fund it.

Whoever manages to set such a project up, stands in for glory, power and money.
And unlike Luther King hopefully a longer life :)

But I guess, for now, this is only wishful thinking.

lisafx

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 18:13 »

My guess oldhand,macrosaur,persus,oldhippie...

...batman, hali, puravida, tanjomast510,Albert Martin,  etc., etc.  

The list keeps growing, but it's always the same old nonsense  ::)

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 01:13 »
if it mattered we could run a textual analysis of new-unimproved-troll vs old-ignored-troll...

s

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20 »
An international organization invested with the legal authority to control prices, commissions and ethicism of the agencies.
I would be willing to help fund it.

Whoever manages to set such a project up, stands in for glory, power and money.
And unlike Luther King hopefully a longer life :)

But I guess, for now, this is only wishful thinking.

there are things that can be done by a group of freelancers - in the 90's i was involved with several successful groups for independents such as the game developers conference,  assoc of shareware professionals and Edu Software Co-op -- they didn't set prices, but they helped newcomers while also being able to contract w vendors;  one big benefit was having a forum much like this one, which was more novel at that time.   we even helped design the industry rating system for video games, countering Lieberman's drastic proposals [which he made while getting funds from sony]

s
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:22 by cascoly »