MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Model Release for iPhone/Touch users  (Read 11062 times)

« on: March 26, 2010, 11:57 »
I'm not an iPhone or iTouch user myself, but thought this review could be interesting for some of you. It's an iPhone app that allows to fill and file different kinds of releases that can be "hand signed" by the model or property owner on the device's screen. A picture of the model taken with the device can be attached to the release.

Don't know if the releases would be accepted by the agencies, though. And the review doesn't say if it's available in other languages than english.

http://www.thedigitaltrekker.com/2010/03/mrelease-review/

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:31 »
It would really be great for us but only if stock agencies accepted it. With them being so strict nowadays, I do not think this is a wise way of spending 10 buccks.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:59 »
 Very cool indeed. We already do this but to have it in an app that drops the image in already will be a super time saver. Have them hold the release when you take the photo is always a good one as well.

Best,
Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11 »
Since I don't have an iPod and don't need one, I will probably stick to the paper app and ask people to sign with a real pen. You can get some neat pens for under 50c in the local grocery and if you're on remote places, go to a netcafe, enter your site and print the release out for 10 pesos (paper included, 22 c). Of course you can also carry some dead tree blank releases next to your laptop. I got pick-pocketed (or robbed) quite a few expensive phones before but never a blank MRF.  ;)

If you lose your CP, your release is gone too. Not to mention the fact that electronic signatures are not accepted as legal in most countries.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:13 by FD-amateur »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:44 »
Since I don't have an iPod and don't need one, I will probably stick to the paper app and ask people to sign with a real pen. You can get some neat pens for under 50c in the local grocery and if you're on remote places, go to a netcafe,
If it has a netcafe and a local grocery which sells pens, it's not remote. Just sayin'.
(But then your cellphone won't work either.)

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:58 »
If it has a netcafe and a local grocery which sells pens, it's not remote. Just sayin'.
Define "remote". I have probably been at more remote places than many here. You can persuade them (with some effort and explanation from less savage locals) to sign a paper MRF but I'm quite certain they won't sign anything on a magic electronic box where they don't have an overview of what they are actually signing. They will think you're with the government or a mining company (since you have this fancy box) trying to make them sell their land. The more "remote", uneducated and backwards people are, the more suspicious.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:45 »
The more "remote", uneducated and backwards people are, the more suspicious.
Most people around here are extremely reluctant to sign anything. and I'm guessing we don't count as 'remote', undeducated or backward, at least in a global scheme of things.
Example: a colleague needed someone to witness her signature on some sort of legal bank document which let her access her late mother's estate. Only a witness of a signature, though they also had to put their address, occupation etc. I did it for her, but I was the nineteenth person she had asked, and I only did it because the bank already had all my details as it's my bank too.
Even teens are the same: there was an official survey taking place in my school. I noticed that the pupils were all leaving the optional signature/details blank, even though that would enter them into a prize draw for stuff like Blackberries, which are little objects of desire in an area of multiple deprivation. When I asked later, they all said, "You never give your details away to strangers". (Though I suspect it's all up there on Bebo for any nutter to access.)

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 15:03 »
Hi All,

I would still suggest sticking to a written paper copy always. Digital as a back up. Models are more likely to sign releases because they are getting paid so we don't find any trouble. Always get the release signed before the first frame, don't save it for later. Good luck everyone.

Best,
Jonathan

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 19:10 »
Since iStock and Fotolia don't support digital signatures, I am having the model fill out all of the info for the release on my iPhone, then emailing it to my desktop where I print it and have them sign it.  One advantage I like is having their picture (taken with my iPhone) on the release as well.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:27 »
Since iStock and Fotolia don't support digital signatures, I am having the model fill out all of the info for the release on my iPhone, then emailing it to my desktop where I print it and have them sign it.  One advantage I like is having their picture (taken with my iPhone) on the release as well.

I have been using Easy Release. I've found almost the same. However, FT will accept the digital signature. You should try using it with them.

The app doesnt save much time but if the big sites move towards accepting digital signatures it might be more useful.

RacePhoto

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 18:37 »

I'm amused by the acceptance of this and it says Getty form. Catchy wording makes it appear that Getty accepts it, but that may not be true. Stating who the legal counsel is, doesn't affirm that it's legal. Endorsed by someone is just that, still doesn't provide any industry legal stature or that agencies will accept it? Someone who uses model releases needs to clear up the question. I don't have an "i" anything but the subject was intriguing. Oh by the way Alamy does accept it.

http://idrelease.com/

"This revolutionary app will change the way the photography and filmmaking industries (professional and amateur alike) obtain permission from talent. iD RELEASE uses industry-standard release forms used by Getty Images, the worlds largest stock photography agency. Our legal counsel is world-renowned copyright and digital media lawyer Nancy Wolff. This application is endorsed by the Advertising Photographers of America (APA)."

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 19:01 »
I'd rather stick with the dead tree version... ;)

Have you ever looked at your digital signature....it looks like you were to drunk to know what you were signing.

Fotonaut

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 04:59 »
Good news for those with Android phones: Just got word from ApplicationGAP that they've posted an Android version of Easy Release on Android Market.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 08:23 »
Call me a naive old fashioned moron but I can't see how all these expensive gadgets can make my life easier or perform tasks better compared with what I already have and use.
There is a perfect solution for a Model Release. It's called paper. It never gets snatched, it never runs out of batteries, it is well readable at a glance for all Models, it doesn't arouse suspicion (what if you switch their signature digitally with a contract for the sale of their house?), they can keep it next to their face, it doesn't need to be backuped, it can't be faked and it will hold in court in case of litigation.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 14:50 »
Call me a naive old fashioned moron but I can't see how all these expensive gadgets can make my life easier or perform tasks better compared with what I already have and use.
There is a perfect solution for a Model Release. It's called paper. It never gets snatched, it never runs out of batteries, it is well readable at a glance for all Models, it doesn't arouse suspicion (what if you switch their signature digitally with a contract for the sale of their house?), they can keep it next to their face, it doesn't need to be backuped, it can't be faked and it will hold in court in case of litigation.

Why go digital with your camera?  Film is sometimes better, can be printed and scanned.  Why use any technology at all, for that matter?

On days when I don't have models scheduled to come over and I don't have other work to do, I sometimes go out in the real world to take photos and shoot footage.  It's at those times that the iPhone app can be handy if I have forgotten (again) to include some paper releases in my camera bag.  Also, I find it much easier to take a picture of models with my iPhone, create a new model release and then send it to my printer from my iPhone for them to sign.

Also, instead of spending $150 on a portable police scanner, I bought a 99 cent app for my iPhone that works everywhere I get a signal.  Yesterday I was able to get some exclusive photos of a police hostage situation and from a massive train wreck that I was able to sell to the local paper (got footage too and sold that to a local TV news station).  And the train wreck was in a remote location, so the GPS on my phone came in extremely handy to find it.

So, yes, my "gadget" makes my life better. :)

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 17:00 »
Why go digital with your camera?  Film is sometimes better, can be printed and scanned.  Why use any technology at all, for that matter?
Because often technology is an improvement. In this case it isn't.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:48 »
Because often technology is an improvement. In this case it isn't.

Well, that's subjective.  I'm sure it's not an improvement for you, but it certainly is for me and many others.  Anything that increases my workflow is an improvement, and EasyRelease does that for me.