pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Up To 16GB Free web storage, access from anywhere! (just expanded)  (Read 30600 times)

RacePhoto

« on: July 04, 2010, 22:45 »
Dropbox that a friend sent me a link for, so I could send him some imaging. When you use my referral link, I get 250MB more added to the free 2GB. Then you get 250MB free and for every new person you get, it's another 250GB up to 8GB total, free, cloud web storage. I think that's pretty cool for transfering files or saving some utility information that can be accessed from anywhere in the world?

Model and property releases would be a nice start? But you have a private and a public folder, so instead of attaching big files or using ftp, you can send directly with a link. So far I'm impressed.

Here's my link which will give me the 250MB bonus. When I hit the Max. I'll remove the link so others can pass it on down.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3NTUwMjA5

It involves downloading the software and installing it, and there's tutorial. That's it. Help files are created when you make the first folder.

Thanks!

http://db.tt/mpxsDNOU
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:10 by RacePhoto »

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:17 »
If anybody would go for the PRO plan (50GB) at 10$/month, be aware that a large hoster like Hostgator offers you unlimited space for less (hatchling plan). It has FTP and Web space so in addition to a virtual disk, you can have a website there too.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:56 »
The nice thing about DropBox is you can sync it easily between computers and it shows up as a regular folder on your hard drive.  They also have an iPad and iPhone app which work nicely.  I'm a big fan of Dropbox.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:23 »
I'm using windows live mesh. 5gb are free, works like a charm. The thing I didn't like with dropbox was that you need to have everything in one folder (sym links work on linux, shortcuts don't on windows, junctions do I think). I just didn't want to move everything to one folder. Other than that dropbox has a few advantages like delta syncing don't remember the others anymore :D

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:05 »
Since I have my own website and pay for hosting anyway, I use a folder on my own site to transfer files to clients. So, in essence, it's free for me.

I did have a client send me some files using Dropbox and thought it was a great idea. Would use it if I didn't have my own site.

Fotonaut

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39 »
Dropbox syncing is brilliant. It syncs automatically between my desktop and my laptop, so there is no need to transfer or send files between the two when going somewhere. Also, works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

red

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:52 »
Thanks Pete for the link, I used your referral. I just installed it on my Mac laptop (so easy, simple interface and instructions) and both you and I got the free extra 250 MB storage. It installed like a charm and I like the feature where you can send a link to someone who doesn't have dropbox installed so they can get files. I'm going to use it to send files back and forth from home to work. I'm going to send my referral link to a few friends who might find this useful. I'm also going to put the dropbox app on my ipod touch. Very cool!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:33 by cuppacoffee »

RacePhoto

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 13:38 »
Since I have my own website and pay for hosting anyway, I use a folder on my own site to transfer files to clients. So, in essence, it's free for me.

I did have a client send me some files using Dropbox and thought it was a great idea. Would use it if I didn't have my own site.

I have more than a few available websites for storage, (some small but free) including one with so many GB and email accounts that I'd never use them. The only reason I added Dropbox is that I also have three laptops, a netbook and six desktops. I may want to put all the utility software up there instead of carrying a Cruzer with me everywhere.  ;D

The guy who wanted a large file from me, gave me the initial link and when I put his file up, my website would be "charged" for the bandwidth, so that's a second reason. I ftp directly to magazines and websites, they don't come and pickup, it doesn't do anything for me with that.

Just for fun I may upload a series of photos from a weekend and then instead of copying from the laptop to the external drive and then copying to the desktop and the external archive... I can skip a couple of steps.

It's useful and free and doesn't hurt anything to have an account just in case. But I can understand why it's not a necessity for many people.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 14:20 »
This is pretty cool. I can even access it from my iPhone and iPad!

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 20:25 »
Heh Race....you just got 250 more GB... ;)

RacePhoto

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 21:50 »

Thanks I'm half way to removing the link.  ;D

reckless

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 22:10 »
Thanx for the link. I am moving files at this very moment.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 22:52 »
Dropbox is REALLY awesome (I'm at max free storage and not looking for referrals so I'm recommending it because it's AMAZING!)

I use it to run my biz - when I want to quickly show someone something, when I want to have my associate photographers send me edited images or I want to send them images for their blogs after I'm done a wedding.  I use it with my mom to push her files she needs, I use it with realtors so I can tell when they've sent me files to edit for their listings.  I LOVE Dropbox!!

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 00:40 »
If anybody would go for the PRO plan (50GB) at 10$/month, be aware that a large hoster like Hostgator offers you unlimited space for less (hatchling plan). It has FTP and Web space so in addition to a virtual disk, you can have a website there too.

Flemish,
I actually quite familiar with HG and their alternatives. In theory, they all say 'unlimited storage', but in practice they have a long list of limitations how you can use their hosting and what you can do with such storage. Any 'free hosting' I know reserves the right to tell you that you consume too much space and request to remove data from their servers, or pay for that.
Nevertheless, HG is a great hosting provider, I like how they do business.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 04:10 »
I actually quite familiar with HG and their alternatives. In theory, they all say 'unlimited storage', but in practice they have a long list of limitations how you can use their hosting and what you can do with such storage.
Well, they all (and that goes for ISPs too) assume "normal" use. If people start to implement public virtual disks, anonymous FTP and mini-rapidshares on a shared server account, or worse, sell web space on a hatchling account, it's obvious this is improper use. HG has solutions for this but they will cost more.
(BTW thanks for the 7.5$ when closing pixamba-stock; this was more than fair).

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 12:54 »

+1  ;)

Claude

RacePhoto

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 23:05 »

+1  ;)

Claude

Thanks

My main idea of use since I have multiple websites and storage is easy access for document attachments instead of trying to attach them to an email. Say for instance I need to distribute the same set of results (many pages of PDF) to a group of people. I can put it up for download and rather than have people stuck with that attached to the email forever, they can have the small note for confirmation, and the big file available for a few weeks for download/view should they want a copy.

A bunch of the legacy free storage is back from the days of dial-up. Pretty funny because that's 15MB per old SBC account. Hardly useful for photos now. Anyone remember the Mavica? I could get 22, 640x480 files on a floppy.  ;D Now one image would be two to three times larger than that.

Good for football season. Say? Does anyone here want to get into a fantasy football league? I ran some in the past but people would join and drop, which make it less fun. Even less fun was people that didn't update for weeks, who still beat me!  :o

If I remember, that may be an entertaining diversion from thinking photo and downloads all day. Of course the prizes for the winners may be a little more difficult that the collectible sites, where we could mail some small token to the winners. That brings up another exchange project. Hmm, two in one night, I'd better get back to Cafe World and photo editing.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 14:32 »
Thanks!
Subscribed with your referral. It's indeed handier than making a separate FTP account for every collaborator and then explain him how to download FileZilla and how to handle it. This is very transparent and intuitive for naive users. Nice interface. Enjoy your 100 250MB  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 18:35 by FD-regular »

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 17:19 »
Race,

All I need to do to give you more 250GB is to sign up?

One problem with such sites is that some companies, like mine, block them.

RacePhoto

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 17:14 »
Thanks!
Subscribed with your referral. It's indeed handier than making a separate FTP account for every collaborator and then explain him how to download FileZilla and how to handle it. This is very transparent and intuitive for naive users. Nice interface. Enjoy your 100 250MB  ;)

That was fun. I reached 5GB and referrals stopped. I only posted the link in two places and sent a small number of emails. More than enough and finding a dozen more people might be a project for the Winter. Mostly I found many friends who already had accounts. It's like a pyramid.

After all that I hand carried the video to the guy (on an external drive) and never used DropBox for the person who asked me to subscribe to it.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 13:32 »
Thanks Pete !!  very handy :)

When you've got your full allocation (8GB) maybe peeps could use my link !?

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTkyNDY1MDE5

RacePhoto

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 15:55 »
Thanks Pete !!  very handy :)

When you've got your full allocation (8GB) maybe peeps could use my link !?

That was the plan. I'm at 5.25 now and if it ever hits 8 I was going to remove all my links so people would find others. No reason to be greedy. Might just quit at 6 and post the link elsewhere.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 16:26 »
That was the plan. I'm at 5.25 now and if it ever hits 8 I was going to remove all my links so people would find others. No reason to be greedy. Might just quit at 6 and post the link elsewhere.
That was one useful post! I enjoy my Dropbox a lot with a couple of collaborators. We are in different time zones and it's a great way to synchronize common files. No fiddling any more with FTP accounts. Thanks a lot!

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi Race Photo,
are you still open? :)
I'm going to open an account (need to transfer some files for a friend) and I'm not sure which link to use.
Is yours still available? Have you reached your quota?
I'm going to wait for your answer and do it later.
Thank you!

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 21:52 »
Hi Race Photo,
I'm going to open an account (need to transfer some files for a friend) and I'm not sure which link to use.
Thank you!
I've got it Anna....here's my link
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3ODc2NDA5

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 22:01 »
All right folks, case closed.
I'm going to use Donding's link for now.
But I might be looking for a second account soon. I'll come back and let you know :)
Thank you!

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 06:52 »
i have used this referral link..

here is mine..will remove once i got the max storage too..thanks.
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTkzMDY0NTE5

Hi Race Photo,
Thank you!
I've got it Anna....here's my link
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3ODc2NDA5

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55 »
Here's my link which will give me the 250MB bonus. When I hit the Max. I'll remove the link so others can pass it on down.

Race, you've got some more!

Perhaps this thread should be moved to referrals? :)
Mine: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg2NzI1OQ

RacePhoto

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 16:28 »

Race, you've got some more!

Perhaps this thread should be moved to referrals? :)
Mine: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg2NzI1OQ

Sure now that everyone else is posting their links and stealing my SPAM!  ;)

Translated: Click who you want, I appreciate the help I got and don't object if others benefit from the same.

Just uploaded a ZIP of last weekend to my Dropbox and shared it, instead of meeting a guy, who would be mailing it to someone else. Now he can burn the CD and mail it.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 20:25 »
Hi Race Photo,
Thank you!

I think he reach 8GB limit, after he's limit there is no benefit for all of us, so please use mine  ;D
THNX
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg3NzI1MTg5

RacePhoto

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 18:03 »
Amazing, all these months and never reached the limit yet. So here's a bump for all the people who have posted links here. Thanks if you can use the free storage, for sharing and giving one of us, some more storage.

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 18:22 »
Thanks for the bump! I missed it first time around and just signed up using your link.

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44 »

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 16:36 »
Amazing, all these months and never reached the limit yet. So here's a bump for all the people who have posted links here. Thanks if you can use the free storage, for sharing and giving one of us, some more storage.

Thanks for bumping up the thread....I wondered how in the world someone joined through me when I only posted it that one time on here which was back in July. Hope you reach yours soon.

RacePhoto

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 16:20 »

Thanks for bumping up the thread....I wondered how in the world someone joined through me when I only posted it that one time on here which was back in July. Hope you reach yours soon.

Tried to upload a 2.2GB zip full of photos and it said 30 hours. I wondered what the heck was going on. Do they have a restriction on upload speed? Then I went to my normally slow connection, my own website, same router at work and it bounced around 15 hours. In other words, I can send faster if I drive to a hotel and use their high speed. But the free DropBox is slower than my normal slow connection?

Reminds me of when I had dial-up at an apartment and it was faster to go someplace else, download and come back, than it was to spend all the time that dial-up would take, for a 1MB file, upgrade!  ;D Fortunately a neighbor had an open wireless connection so all I had to do was take the laptop and go for a walk, or stand under the eves of the back door, and download that way. Stupid, but true.

Anyway, now I see that the free service must have a connection crimp for big files, so it's nice to use for singles and internet photos and files, but not good for a big 2GB zip. At least not for me.

And please if you don't use mine, use Donding's or someone else's link from the thread, if you are looking for some free storage that's linkable, it's dandy.

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 16:53 »

RacePhoto

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09 »
Update - Please use this one for Dropbox, if you haven't signed up.

You can post links for Critique, share files, share photos. (it won't allow live linking to web pages) use it for backup and storage.

For each friend that installs Dropbox, youll both get 500 MB of free space. You can earn up to 16 GB.

Just when I was getting close to the 8MB limit on the free deal, at 250mb an invite, they increased it.

Personally I have my Open Office Calendar on Dropbox and when I'm anywhere I can login and see the whole year's schedule in advance. Make changes and then when I go to my office or netbook, the calendar is always there. I also use it for software upgrades, when I download once, I drop it over there and then any computer I have can get the upgrade without going through the download process online. Because DropBox syncs all files automatically, to all computers.

But 500MB of free online storage, is a nice start. Invite your relatives and friends and you'll have a few Gigabytes in no time.

This reminds me of the people who saw they lost their files and wonder if SS or someplace will let them download their own. Dropbox is completely private, except for the one area that's public. So you could have all your stock photos backed up and NO ONE else can find or access them!

So (spam, spam, spam) http://db.tt/mpxsDNOU free backup, free storage and of course the best part, I get 500GB when you use my link.  :)

Thanks

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 06:16 »
And if you get bored with Pete's link, use mine !!  (more spam)  ;)

Cheers Pete :)

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 08:36 »
Are there any security concerns using these services?

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48 »
I'm also a huge dropbox fan. I have 3 PC's and use all of them for my University stuff. The sync works really well!

RacePhoto

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 01:49 »
Are there any security concerns using these services?

Not that I know of. All the data is private and even if I gave you a link, you can't access it without the password and being logged in.

BUT there is one section that's "public" and people can see files there, if given a link. It's not like the whole public folder just pops up, because I gave you access to one file. It's by link only.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Here's the good part. If you want to share a photo on the forum and have people view it, you can add a link. You want it gone, you just delete it from your Dropbox folder on your computer and all of your computers have it removed.

That's the way I use it. I have my schedule for work, race events, dentist, Dr. vacation, everything, on a folder "schedule 2012" any computer I turn on, has that file uploaded when any other computer updates it. Could be tricky if I delete a file and it gets removed from all, also. But there's a recovery tool.

Anyway, I don't know of any security risks, or I wouldn't use it and suggest it.

I finally SPAMMED all my friends and have almost 8GB, so what do they do, double the referral and limit. (of course feel free to help other people)  ;D

I get nothing for promoting this, just some free storage that I've found good for updates, as I download once and all the computers have it. Or my schedule. Or for file sharing when someone needs a copy of something and most of the time emails will block large file attachments. FREE!

RacePhoto

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04 »
Up to 12GB right now, of the possible 16GB I could use a few more so I can save the MP3 collection. (I have my own sites for photos and pay for those) Just the idea that dropbox is free is always somehow enticing.

If you join I get 500MB, then after that you send notes to friends and get 500MB per new user. I'm still pushing for the last eight and if anyone is on the fence, it's free, it's useful, it's automatic. (I have my laptops, three desktops and a netbook, all synced with work schedule calendar as well as all that music.)

The just expanded part applies to everyone by the way. So if you have an account, you just got a boost and added free space. Check your account status.