pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Keyword sorting on Deposit Photos  (Read 8100 times)

steheap

• Author of best selling "Get Started in Stock"

« on: August 22, 2010, 09:45 »
I just uploaded about 200 additional images to Deposit Photos. I stick with the site because it was (traditionally) pretty easy to upload to, but I see that they now want us to sort the keywords to show the three main keywords, then 4 secondary keywords and then the rest. For those of us who use Lightroom for keywording, this is a lot of work, as the keywords are exported in alphabetic order. It has made me really question why I am bothering uploading all these images and then spending time on each one to sort out the keyword order as well.

Any comments from the site owners on this change? Are we supposed to go back and edit the keywords on all previous uploads to align with this new approach?

Steve

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:47 »
Alamy does the same thing. I'm interested what others have to say.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:59 »
Agree...  It's really annoyin when we have to do that.. I too have often wondered just how much impact the sort order really has for the search engines.. ?

It would be nice to hear what the site reprsentative can say about that..  Depositphotos is a nice site to upload images at, but this tiny detail is some-what annoying  8)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10 »
Makes me glad I don't use Lightroom.  I've been keywording with Graphic Converter for the Mac, which leaves my keywords in the order I specify.  As long as I put the most relevant words at the front of the list, this change won't slow me down.  That's a big deal, since my results on Deposit don't justify a lot of effort.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 22:31 »
I just uploaded about 200 additional images to Deposit Photos. I stick with the site because it was (traditionally) pretty easy to upload to, but I see that they now want us to sort the keywords to show the three main keywords, then 4 secondary keywords and then the rest.
Finally! Linear keywording doesn't work in a set of 1M+ images. No site (except CanStockPhoto for a short time) dared to tackle it. Since 2006, I'm keywording in the order of relevance, in the hope the sites would come to their senses. I wrote a script for that: one-click sorting. Still in vain... Great DP realized it.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 13:13 »
I would suggest not submitting to DP until they work out the bugs in the new keywording.  First, any string of words with "" is read as separate words . . .  even the ' in ship's caused problems leaving the word as ship' and the next word as "s".  Second, if you should enter more then 50 words and get the warning that you have provided too many keywords it becomes impossible to remove any of the keywords effectively leaving the file in limbo . . .  too many words and unable to cancel the submission or remove any words.

A big improvement over at DP . . . . NOT!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 13:18 by etienjones »

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 13:15 »
Fotolia has the same keyword-importance as far as I remember, right?

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 13:24 »
Fotolia has the same keyword-importance as far as I remember, right?

Its not the keyword-importance that I was referring to, but the problems with using "" with strings of keywords.  Also the inability to remove words is you go over the 50 limit, leaving the submission in limbo.  

As to keyword-importance, well, I hate it with Fotolia and I will hate it at DP . . . .  just takes too much time.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 15:56 »
I haven't uploaded anywhere for a few weeks so didnt niotice, I keyword in a rough order of importance (basically its the most important stuff I think of first). Personally that's good enough for DP, their sales aren't high enough for me to put a lot of work in. 

probably just coincedence but they got 22k new images this week. everytime I saw that up to a few weeks back it was 35k-45k per week.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:52 »
It seems the problem has been fixed.

Email from DP:

Hello!

It seems we managed to find a bug and fix it: the problem was not in the
51 word but in the ' symbol; it broke the work of the Java Script and even
if there were only 10 keywords there would be nothing you could do with
them.
Now the problem is solved.

As for the word combination, we don't work with them as with the single
keyword, so "mode of transportation" will give you three keywords. The same
was here at DepositPhotos before changing the process of attributation.

Regards,
Michel

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 08:09 »
it seems the keyword sorting is gone? i see no texts mentioning about the orders of keywords.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 08:55 »
You're right! Seems keywords are automatically put in alphabetical order now, so uploading won't be such a hassle which is great - though the concern re DepositFiles remains...