pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: This is what got my iStock forum privileges and sitemail access revoked  (Read 102421 times)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26 »
roflmao - who's Stuart? let me get this straight pseudo...you don't even contribute to iStock because they are bonkers. ok, well, thanks for your comments that have zero frame of reference

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27 »
Too bad there any beans left for you to count

You obviously have a problem with the people in this forum.  You have a problem with this business.  This is a microstock forum, not a management accountant convention.  I'm sure there are other places for you to park your big-boss I'm better than you attitude......mate

shhhhh you boring twit

« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40 »
my life is over...an ACCOUNTANT called me boring

« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47 »
"I'm off work due to an injury and I'm dabbling in my creative side again because it keeps me still"

This pretty much sums it up.

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03 »
"I'm off work due to an injury and I'm dabbling in my creative side again because it keeps me still"

I'm really trying hard to be insulted by some caveman holding a camera, but I just can't, sorry :)

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2010, 11:08 »
roflmao - who's Stuart? let me get this straight pseudo...you don't even contribute to iStock because they are bonkers. ok, well, thanks for your comments that have zero frame of reference

hahaha, let me get this straight, hawk_eye, you're saying that my opinion is invalid because I didn't make the stupid mistake of paying istock 80% commission and saying a few months ago that istock was going down?   Are you saying your opinion carries more weight because you willingly handed them your balls on a plate and are now stuck there, without a scrotum, not knowing what the future holds for you?  yeah that makes sense!

hahaha, you're thick as!

goodnight!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:09 by pseudonymous »

« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13 »

I'm really trying hard to be insulted by some caveman holding a camera, but I just can't, sorry :)

No, it's "bushman" here in the tropics, you have it all wrong.
I don't think you need any help with the insults, you do fine job all by your lonesome.

vlad_the_imp

« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17 »
lol mentioning my title is boasting of my "business prowess"?

I was being sarcastic.

I'll be on my way back to doing what I normally do

Your homework?

OK, lets just suppose you're really some big business hotshot. Firstly you have to understand that most artists aren't businessmen. You have to lead us. I will pay you 30% of my income if you can tell me how to leave IS and market myself in a way that would increase my current income appreciably. You can be my agent. Tell me how to go about it? I'm putty in your hands.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:59 by vlad_the_imp »

« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2010, 11:25 »
In a thread about forum privileges withdrawal we get to see the potential benefits of some moderation.

« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2010, 11:52 »
In a thread about forum privileges withdrawal we get to see the potential benefits of some moderation.

Yep, there's definitely irony here when you at the title of this thread.

Leaf must be away - he's usually quick to jump when things get out of hand. I sometimes think this place has grown up enough that he should promote a few of the seniors to moderators, but on the flip side, behaviour here is usually polite/good enough that it's rarely warranted.

« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54 »
Y A W N. KNOCK. IT. OFF. What are we 12?

« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2010, 12:31 »
I don't know who said it above, but I don't think any exclusive should be comfortable with dls numbers decreasing as long as income is increasing. I already said this once, but that is a fairly short-sighted, destructive way to manage your business. after 2008 when dl numbers fell for everyone pretty much, I started watching my numbers increase steadily. granted, money is increasing exponentially while dl number are creeping up slowly....but both are moving upward and that's what I want to see.

I agree - I am not comfortable with dls decreasing, even though income may be increasing. If iStock hadn't increased prices so significantly, this would not be the trend for many of us. Though, of course, as more images come online into any given collection, there is potential for one's dls to fall.

I also agree with the person who posted that it seems like iStock is migrating (or being migrated) toward a leader in "midstock". I wish them the best of luck with that. But I think I'd have far more sales if it remained a leader in the microstock market. Even in periods when I've not been uploading consistently. That's my hunch, anyway.

All I know is that the new model they're moving to does not inspire me to work more. If fact, it has the opposite effect. With goals that change from year to year and seem generally, vastly unattainable (if you want to move up the ladder), I don't see the point in knocking myself out as I'm guaranteed nothing for my efforts. I'm familiar with a few other iStockers ports that are small, but smashing. And even as they turn out new and wonderful work, their dls hardly tick up, and often continue to dwindle. So, just because one is producing consistently and of a high quality guarantees nothing. You could remain at your current commission level and never go up, or, go down. To me that seems like a lot of effort for random rewards.

Which is why going un-exclusive and spreading my work around makes more sense. At least for me and my portfolio and type of work. And also, given that I have a day job that allows me little time to hamster-wheel for any agency.

« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37 »
Won't work.  Its a waste of time.  There's no such thing as unity.  This is an everyone for themselves business with a side of community.

That it is.

« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2010, 16:02 »
I don't know who said it above, but I don't think any exclusive should be comfortable with dls numbers decreasing as long as income is increasing. I already said this once, but that is a fairly short-sighted, destructive way to manage your business. after 2008 when dl numbers fell for everyone pretty much, I started watching my numbers increase steadily. granted, money is increasing exponentially while dl number are creeping up slowly....but both are moving upward and that's what I want to see.

I agree - I am not comfortable with dls decreasing, even though income may be increasing. If iStock hadn't increased prices so significantly, this would not be the trend for many of us. Though, of course, as more images come online into any given collection, there is potential for one's dls to fall.

I also agree with the person who posted that it seems like iStock is migrating (or being migrated) toward a leader in "midstock". I wish them the best of luck with that. But I think I'd have far more sales if it remained a leader in the microstock market. Even in periods when I've not been uploading consistently. That's my hunch, anyway.

All I know is that the new model they're moving to does not inspire me to work more. If fact, it has the opposite effect. With goals that change from year to year and seem generally, vastly unattainable (if you want to move up the ladder), I don't see the point in knocking myself out as I'm guaranteed nothing for my efforts. I'm familiar with a few other iStockers ports that are small, but smashing. And even as they turn out new and wonderful work, their dls hardly tick up, and often continue to dwindle. So, just because one is producing consistently and of a high quality guarantees nothing. You could remain at your current commission level and never go up, or, go down. To me that seems like a lot of effort for random rewards.

Which is why going un-exclusive and spreading my work around makes more sense. At least for me and my portfolio and type of work. And also, given that I have a day job that allows me little time to hamster-wheel for any agency.

I couldn't agree more with all of this. +1 (to both posts!)

« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2010, 19:56 »
Won't work.  Its a waste of time.  There's no such thing as unity.  This is an everyone for themselves business with a side of community.

That it is.

Maybe someone should hit us in the head with a hammer, clearly we are not so smart!

« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2010, 23:44 »
I think a lot of us are very smart, and that we know very well that what works for the small and the big contributors doesn't work for the middle guys.  In the end, it would be difficult to adequately represent the individual needs of the members of that group.  But then again, don't know until you try.

Microbius

« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10 »
pseudonymous you need to give up this argument, they will run you down because at the end of the day exclusives have a lot more to lose by IStock getting damaged then we have to gain.
Look how the discussion has gone over on IStock and here, the majority feel aggrieved by the crappy treatment they have received but you can only complain for so long when you are banging your head against a brick wall.
When everything that can be said has been the damage control guys from IStock attack on mass and bully the few people still trying to make themselves heard.
Forget it, they ain't going to listen.
Decide what action you want to take and do it, be that removing images, educating buyers, whatever. You're not going to get a sensible answer here and you're only going to get more and more frustrated.

lisafx

« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50 »

Decide what action you want to take and do it, be that removing images, educating buyers, whatever. You're not going to get a sensible answer here and you're only going to get more and more frustrated.

Yeah, ultimately I think that is what we are left with.  For whatever reason (personally, I think the bleed-it-dry-then-sell-it theory is right) Istock isn't listening this time around.  There don't appear to be any concessions or rethinks in the works.

Now we each have to decide what we are willing to do about it. 

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2010, 03:48 »
I got banned - and not even for my earlier brash remarks in the thread.

Posts are being deleted left, right and center with the "lets just roll over" and "shame on you for complaining" posts remaining to stew. I got banned for responding to a post that ended with something like - "...and if you dont like it then dont let the door hit you on the way out"

Suffice to say my response to this contained 100% less sassmouth than previous yet seemed enough to get a warning. I told them essentially they could take their "priviledges" and shove it (but in much nicer terms). So be it. No Idea why you got banned though dgilder. Thats just wrong considering the things i have said (and others for that matter) ha!

« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2010, 04:18 »
I've stopped uploading to them, I will make an assessment on what to do long term later. Basically I will be at 16% mark.

A small protest but something

« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2010, 04:59 »
I've decided to pull my port by the end of december. I know that they won't notice that at all, but I just can't let an agency help itself to 84 percent of what my images sell for, and there's no way they will have me struggeling along to hit some obscure floating target that might give me 17 or 18 percent.

« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49 »
I got banned - and not even for my earlier brash remarks in the thread.

Posts are being deleted left, right and center with the "lets just roll over" and "shame on you for complaining" posts remaining to stew. I got banned for responding to a post that ended with something like - "...and if you dont like it then dont let the door hit you on the way out"

Suffice to say my response to this contained 100% less sassmouth than previous yet seemed enough to get a warning. I told them essentially they could take their "priviledges" and shove it (but in much nicer terms). So be it. No Idea why you got banned though dgilder. Thats just wrong considering the things i have said (and others for that matter) ha!

It's childish and completely random. "Lobo" is letting his emotions get the better of him. If he ever gets fired, he better not look for a job in customer service. LOL

« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2010, 09:12 »
They locked down the new thread about Mondays arrival of the Agency collection.

Lobo locked down the thread and edited the contents of the thread orininator.  It looks like he changed the title as well.

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=259011&page=1

I think it is good they are driving more of us to this site where we have a chance to fully expore options and express our feelings. 

Clearly they are taking care of their top money earnings, most of whom we have heard nary a peep from. 

« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2010, 09:31 »

It's childish and completely random. "Lobo" is letting his emotions get the better of him. If he ever gets fired, he better not look for a job in customer service. LOL

That is certainly the impression i got from his overly sarcastic and somewhat immature (?) sitemails. Dude really needs to work on his comebacks... his kung fu is not strong.

« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2010, 09:58 »

Clearly they are taking care of their top money earnings, most of whom we have heard nary a peep from. 

I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion.  Several well established Diamonds have posted over on IStock.  Several other of the top money earners may not feel comfortable commenting in English as it's not their native language.  Because someone doesn't comment doesn't mean they like what's going on or they're getting a special deal.

If this is how they put food on the table and a roof over their family's head, they might be keeping their head low, doing damage control and calculating the best course of action for the future.