MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Refund for a Purchase of Your File‏  (Read 5060 times)

« on: October 12, 2010, 15:35 »
I noticed the account balance dropped by a couple of dollars or so, then I saw that I had an email.  Evidently a customer asked for a refund on a file they decided not to use.  No problem with that, but I am surprised that anyone would go to the effort of sending in a "signed and witnessed Certificate of Destruction" for a $20 refund.  My impression has been that the cost of microstock is a tiny fraction of the other costs of graphic art design (such as the artists' time).  Things must be getting pretty tough out there   :P

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 15:39 »
Why in the world would they give them a refund because they decided not to use it? That doesn't make sense. They would already have the photo and they can't very well return it.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 15:43 »
Evidently, to get their $20 back they provided a signed statement swearing on the beard of Zeus that they deleted the file.  Talk about counting pennies.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 15:47 »
I have had this happen on several occasions.

It's annoying because there is really no way to prove that they have destroyed the file

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 15:49 »
I'm just surprised they would give them a refund. It's not like they are bringing back a pair of blue jeans for a refund. A digital image can't really be returned and you have to rely on the word of the buyer...even though they sworn the deleted the file. iStock must be really kissing a** of the buyers.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 15:54 »
They would already have the photo and they can't very well return it.

It's not really about the photo though. What they are buying is a licence to use it. If they decide not to then it makes sense they should get a refund. That just good customer relations.

I think we all like to deal with companies which trust us as customers :)

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 16:27 »

It's not really about the photo though. What they are buying is a licence to use it. If they decide not to then it makes sense they should get a refund. That just good customer relations.

Yes I guess you have a good point there. There's just so much thievery out there, I guess you have to learn to trust them.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 16:54 »

right.  It does suck when you get these.  I've had several, though none recently.

it is a good customer service and iStock has been offering this for a long time.  it's not something they just added because of all the negative stuff going on right now.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 17:30 »
It sounds ok if this is not a pattern for that buyer.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 18:51 »
I thought that getting something signed and witnessed for a refund of $20 was baloney, then again it might have been one of many photos picked out for a big job that got canceled.  This is the first time it happened to me.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 19:36 »

I got one of those refund emails from iStock.  Buyer decided he needed an Extended License.  He was refunded for his standard license and bought an Extended one so I came out about $30 ahead!

No complaints here.

c h e e r s
fred