pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is it worth it uploading to Deposit Photos?  (Read 23081 times)

« on: December 07, 2010, 12:24 »
This is similar to the latest post on this section of the forum.

But, I find these guys a little annoying.   If the upload was really easy like 123RF or Canstockphoto,  I could take the low sales but it is a little tedious given that I only get about a sale a month if I am lucky..

So if you are making enough money here to get a payout.... what is the style or subject matter that sells well here....because it is NOT my kind of photos.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 15:47 »
I'll stay with them 'til next payout (and I'm lightyears away from it) and then delete everything. Dp is one of the biggest disappointments in stock this year. Definitely not worth uploading, only wasting time.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 17:44 »
I uploaded when they paid for uploads. Since then very few sales, only subscription or SMS ones. Thus I don't wase time any longer.

Some people though report (relatively) decent sales...

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 18:10 »
That's the reason I also uploaded on DP back in January. Since then, 2-3 sales / month, mostly .3$ subs. Not good!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22 »
I just had a "SMS sale" of a XL-size and my share was only 0.24$. Anyone experiencing the same? This is an insult, selling XL photos for 0.24$.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:39 »
I just had a "SMS sale" of a XL-size and my share was only 0.24$. Anyone experiencing the same? This is an insult, selling XL photos for 0.24$.

also had one minutes ago, same nice royalties :P

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:58 »
DP will probably be the next site where I'll delete everything and never contribute to again!

helix7

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30 »

Decent sales or not, I won't get into bed with a site that is related in any way to a site that deals in pirated images. I've had to send many requests to DepositFiles to remove my work from their site, so no way will I willingly submit images to DepositPhotos.

m@m

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41 »
DP will probably be the next site where I'll delete everything and never contribute to again!

...and probably sooner than latter ;)

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42 »
Very disappointing site....I had a $0.22 sale yesterday, first time in almost 2 months. I'm done!

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:06 »
Very disappointing! 0.24$ for a xl sale? Haha. I'm "only" 37$ away until next payout but in this rhythm I'll hit 50$ after 10-20 years. 

RacePhoto

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 00:43 »
I'll stay with them 'til next payout (and I'm lightyears away from it) and then delete everything. Dp is one of the biggest disappointments in stock this year. Definitely not worth uploading, only wasting time.

Gee and just like Albumo no one said?- Don't do it! - Oh yes a bunch of people did, but the same scam ran again, just like it did before.

Deposit photos is the 2010 version of the same game and next month another promising new site will be paying for uploads and doing nothing after all the promises and hope.

Wake Up. These people with the upload for cash agencies are just using you. For all we know they collect everything and sell it to partners for pennies, and now everything you ever shot is out in the wild on CDs. Are people that desperate for 25c uploads that they will risk their whole collection on some new agency with some questionable affiliations?

Stop supporting fly by night sites that compete with your sales on the legitimate sites by doing nothing but offering the same images and price cutting.

Do you really believe the poll on the right, that they are #9 in sales?  :o Or better yet, if they are #9, what the heck are the rest of them, #10 and down, doing per month?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 00:49 by RacePhoto »

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 00:58 »

Decent sales or not, I won't get into bed with a site that is related in any way to a site that deals in pirated images. I've had to send many requests to DepositFiles to remove my work from their site, so no way will I willingly submit images to DepositPhotos.

never heard of that, can you tell us more?

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 02:59 »

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 03:15 »
Do you really believe the poll on the right, that they are #9 in sales?  :o Or better yet, if they are #9, what the heck are the rest of them, #10 and down, doing per month?
[/quote]

Edit:   Just had 3rd download in five days - it's not bad as I thought...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:45 by jm73 »

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:34 »
I'm primarily a seller but I do buy too and I have to say deposit looks like a good place to buy - easy, huge collection. At the moment is brand new site to me but I will definitely be using it in 2011 to buy images for my design business. As a seller I hope more people are thinking this too!  :)

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 08:07 »
Definitely not worth uploading, only wasting time.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 08:37 »
Started uploading about a year ago.
Currently 411 images in my port.
14 rejections.
Total sales : 58
By credits : 19
By subscription : 34
By SMS : 5
Easy upload. Easy to navigate. Fast inspections.
They are related to a free hosting site called 'Deposit Files' (similar to 'DropBox'). And just like 'DropBox', they do not control the files uploaded. It's a free service.
I like them enough to keep on uploading.
These are my stats, the decision is yours :)

m@m

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45 »
With 350+ photos on the site, I decided to stop wasting my time with them and close my account a couple of days ago...a complete waist of time!
Even Featurepics does better than them... :P

helix7

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04 »

DepositPhotos and DepositFiles are backed by the same people, and based on some research by folks right here in this forum it appears that the sites are hosted in the same place and are probably even more related than we could ever prove. At the very least, we know that the same people behind DepositFiles are behind DepositPhotos. And some matching IP addresses suggest that the sites are hosted together.

For those unfamiliar with DepositFiles, it's a file sharing site. Sites like HeroTurko rely on sites like DepositFiles to blindly host pirated files, including stock images, so that pirates can illegally and freely download them. I've had to contact DepositFiles directly in the past to ask them to remove some of my images from their servers, images that were linked to from HeroTurko for free and illegal download.

So in short, the same guys who have been profiting from the illegal distribution of our work decided to set up a more legitimate shop called DepositPhotos so that they can directly profit from the sale of some of the exact same photos that they help distribute for free illegally.

On top of that, when questioned about all of this, DepositPhotos became very hostile in this forum and threatened people who brought up their questionable practices.

There have also been questions of the actual location of the offices of DepositPhotos, which as far as I know has yet to actually be determined and representatives of the company wouldn't divulge their location.

They're known to support the piracy of our images, and they are super shady in their dealings. Piracy aside, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a company that is so secretive about their actual location. But add in the piracy connection and you've got a company that should be avoided completely by any self-respecting stock artist. I would almost guarantee that there are people who have images for sale on DepositPhotos and don't know that some of those same images are being shared illegally via DepositFiles. Odds are pretty good that that's happening.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52 »

DepositPhotos and DepositFiles are backed by the same people, and based on some research by folks right here in this forum it appears that the sites are hosted in the same place and are probably even more related than we could ever prove. At the very least, we know that the same people behind DepositFiles are behind DepositPhotos. And some matching IP addresses suggest that the sites are hosted together.

For those unfamiliar with DepositFiles, it's a file sharing site. Sites like HeroTurko rely on sites like DepositFiles to blindly host pirated files, including stock images, so that pirates can illegally and freely download them. I've had to contact DepositFiles directly in the past to ask them to remove some of my images from their servers, images that were linked to from HeroTurko for free and illegal download.

So in short, the same guys who have been profiting from the illegal distribution of our work decided to set up a more legitimate shop called DepositPhotos so that they can directly profit from the sale of some of the exact same photos that they help distribute for free illegally.

On top of that, when questioned about all of this, DepositPhotos became very hostile in this forum and threatened people who brought up their questionable practices.

There have also been questions of the actual location of the offices of DepositPhotos, which as far as I know has yet to actually be determined and representatives of the company wouldn't divulge their location.

They're known to support the piracy of our images, and they are super shady in their dealings. Piracy aside, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a company that is so secretive about their actual location. But add in the piracy connection and you've got a company that should be avoided completely by any self-respecting stock artist. I would almost guarantee that there are people who have images for sale on DepositPhotos and don't know that some of those same images are being shared illegally via DepositFiles. Odds are pretty good that that's happening.

Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.   ::) :P

eggshell

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 14:48 »
"I would almost guarantee that there are people who have images for sale on DepositPhotos and don't know that some of those same images are being shared illegally via DepositFiles. Odds are pretty good that that's happening. "

Any tangible evidence for that or just a paranoid trip ? In all the badmouthing about DP till now I've seen only assumptions fuelled by the cold responses of the agency . Just for example  - the one and only image "stolen" from me for the moment and posted on HT and the likes was bought from Dreamstime , not DP .

Oh btw I heard some rumors about Getty buying Rapidshare  ;D .

helix7

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 15:56 »

Any tangible evidence for that or just a paranoid trip ? In all the badmouthing about DP till now I've seen only assumptions fuelled by the cold responses of the agency . Just for example  - the one and only image "stolen" from me for the moment and posted on HT and the likes was bought from Dreamstime , not DP...

Just a hunch. I can't prove it, but it isn't hard to find evidence of DepositFiles dealing in stolen stock images. Google it.

Veer images illegally available on DF:
http://thegraphicsstore.com/129-stock-photo-road-safety.html

Vector Christmas Banners on DF:
http://freedesignmagazine.com/?p=1783

Vector patterns on DF:
http://mocii.com/free-vector-graphics/60-vector-patterns-and-backgrounds-for-your-designs/

In the end it doesn't really matter where the stolen images come from. DepositFiles hosts them. In my opinion, it's a major conflict of interest to be running an illegal file sharing site that deals in stock images (among other things) while simultaneously running a microstock site.

Microbius

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 16:08 »
I'm primarily a seller but I do buy too and I have to say deposit looks like a good place to buy - easy, huge collection. At the moment is brand new site to me but I will definitely be using it in 2011 to buy images for my design business. As a seller I hope more people are thinking this too!  :)

New member, one post, praising dodgy agency. Hmmmmm

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 00:28 »
I believe him!