pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Speed Graphic 4x5  (Read 6928 times)

« on: December 08, 2010, 17:20 »
A completely non-microstock related question:

I'm doing a bit of research on my uncle, trained in the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps in 1944 as combat photographer. Their standard issue was a Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5 camera, which he used during the end of WWII, and in Indonesia as front photographer, prior to shooting for the Walt Disney Corp.

I'm currently looking into buying one, with the sole requirement, that it's in working order. I've located an antiquarian, who has about 15 of these cameras in stock (!). Being an antiquarian, he has no clue about whether they still work or not. Although I have some experience with vintage cameras (Medium format - Hassy and a Yashica Mat 24 gold) I wonder if you guys can help me out a bit:

- what are the specific parts you would check when considering such a historic camera?
- Would 350 for this camera strike you as a steep price? (they seem to be pretty rare, although I've found one or two on e-bay in deplorable state for less)
- How would you go about assessing a cameras quality without being able to shoot a test roll?
- Does any of you know anything about this camera?

A long shot, I admit, but I'd appreciate your help!

jbarber873

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 18:19 »
  The most important part to check is the lens. Cock it and fire it, listen to it at various speeds, The time should be noticeably different at the slower speeds. The slow speeds will go bad first. Open the lens and stop it down- the blades should all close down evenly. Make sure you can focus across the entire frame. Focus on a newspaper- it's a quick way to see lens aberrations.
   Then check the bellows. Remove the lens and hold the bellows near a strong bright light. Throw a dark cloth over your head so the only thing you can see is the inside of the bellows. Any pinholes will ruin your shots. ANY pinholes. You can tape them as a stopgap, but the tape will work loose on your most important shot.
   Check that the movements are smooth and even, no corrosion on rails, and that you can lock up the various movements. Make sure the springs on the film holder are strong. It should be a very tight fit to open the film holder. Otherwise, you will get light leaks as you remove the slide.
   This is a 4x5 camera. Unless you are familiar with 4x5 film, you need to learn how to load and unload this film ,as well as how and where to get ti processed. If this is the wartime Graflex, i don't think the roll film back will fit, but I'm not sure.
Keep in mind there were many models of this camera. That prices seems high. I would only pay that for something in museum or collectible quality condition.

RT

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 18:28 »
There's a photo equipment supplier here in the UK called Speed Graphic, they have one of those cameras in a display cabinet in the reception area, I'm not saying they know anything about them because obviously the appeal to them is the name but you could drop them an email and ask any questions you might have about it - you never know.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 18:43 »
- How would you go about assessing a cameras quality without being able to shoot a test roll?

You have so many things to learn :)

sc

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 18:45 »
Make sure the bellows doesn't have any holes.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02 »
 The most important part to check is the lens. Cock it and fire it, listen to it at various speeds, The time should be noticeably different at the slower speeds. The slow speeds will go bad first. Open the lens and stop it down- the blades should all close down evenly. Make sure you can focus across the entire frame. Focus on a newspaper- it's a quick way to see lens aberrations.
   Then check the bellows. Remove the lens and hold the bellows near a strong bright light. Throw a dark cloth over your head so the only thing you can see is the inside of the bellows. Any pinholes will ruin your shots. ANY pinholes. You can tape them as a stopgap, but the tape will work loose on your most important shot.
   Check that the movements are smooth and even, no corrosion on rails, and that you can lock up the various movements. Make sure the springs on the film holder are strong. It should be a very tight fit to open the film holder. Otherwise, you will get light leaks as you remove the slide.
   This is a 4x5 camera. Unless you are familiar with 4x5 film, you need to learn how to load and unload this film ,as well as how and where to get ti processed. If this is the wartime Graflex, i don't think the roll film back will fit, but I'm not sure.
Keep in mind there were many models of this camera. That prices seems high. I would only pay that for something in museum or collectible quality condition.
Thanks a lot for that info, really appreciated! I'll definitely keep those in mind when I go over!

Quote from: perry
You have so many things to learn
Don't we all, don't we all... :) And now I already know a bit more than that antique dealer guy ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:29 »
Shine a bright light through the lens to check for the presence of any fungus.

jbarber873

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 13:31 »
Shine a bright light through the lens to check for the presence of any fungus.

Now there's one i didn't know! I'll have to go look at my view camera lenses and see if any fungus is growing, since I haven't used them in so many years. ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:40 »
My dad had one of these in the early 70s. The camera comes in a (very by modern standards) large case with places for the cut film magazine backs. If I remember right there were several of these with the camera he had, and you would obviously need more than one for a shoot as you can't really fit cut film in the field as far as i know. He was looking for a roll film back for his, and that would seem to be a sensible move.
He did take some shots with it, and I remember the quality was excellent.
Dad and camera are unfortunately long gone. I've been toying with the idea of getting a medium format film camera myself for some time.

traveler1116

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:45 »
I used to work at a company that sells used equipment, my job was to test the cameras, lens, etc...  The ebay id is shutterblade and they sometimes get those in although finding one that works well is rare, probably because a lot of them were well used 50 years ago and then spent the last 20+ years sitting around in a closet.  The lens is usually the part that goes bad, fungus, shutter speed, lots of dust etc..  Good luck, we did get very nice ones every once in a while though so you may find one.  Also look at KEH and usedcameras.com these are all reputable companies and on ebay you still might get a good deal and can see the pictures in advance.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 21:17 »
Thanks, y' all for all the feedback, tips and info!

I might have a lucky break and get my hands on the actual camera my uncle used - I believe I might have retraced its whereabouts :D I'll still follow all your pointers to check if it's still in working order, though. (otherwise it'll be nice for emotional value, etc.)

In the remote event you're curious: a collection of images taken with this camera are here.

lagereek

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 02:22 »
This is the camera that Weegee used in his documentative photography in NY during the war-years, it was one of the fastest of its time. lovely!!

traveler1116

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:23 »
If it needs repairs KEH may be able to do them.  Have fun.