pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: New features on Veer.com - updated vector upload workflow  (Read 8620 times)

« on: December 13, 2010, 17:05 »
Hi All
This past weekend we pushed a release live on Veer that includes enhancements on both the customer and contributor sides of the site.

For customers:

-   New contextual FAQs to aid customers across the site
-   Search enhancements to improve performance
-   New search sort option: Price: Highest to Lowest
-   A new Free landing page aggregating our free content like images and illustrations of the week, wallpapers, screensavers and more

For contributors:

-   New footer on contributor pages with shortcuts to key areas of the site
-   Updated vector upload workflow:

Weve altered the vector upload workflow so that we can support offering customers a full-slate of rasterized JPEGs in addition to your .EPS vector. This was something many of you, and many of our customers, have been waiting for.
This means that your original .EPS vector file and a full suite of JPEG sizes from XS to XXL will be presented together to the customer on a single product detail page.
This is important - customers will now have the option to pick the file format and size that works best for them.

To support this, the new vector upload requirements are as follows:

We have moved away from the automated preview generation tool that caused wonky previews for some of you.
As the best quality vector previews come straight from the source - you - we are now requiring you to supply a high-res JPEG for each .EPS vector. We know this requires a workflow change, but this is needed to ensure very high quality customer facing previews and JPEG derivatives.

- The JPEG version must have the same file name as the .EPS vector (eg: mycoolvector.jpg, mycoolvector.eps)
  - The longest side of the JPEG version must be at least 4900pixels. We recommend 5400pixels or more to ensure very high quality previews and JPEG derivatives.  
  - IPTC metadata continues to be read from the JPEG file (if embedded)
  - Our team will regenerate new previews and JPEG derivatives from all existing vector content currently on the site. Were midway through that process now.

Our own Shawn Haskell has prepared a screencast walking through the best way to output a JPEG from Illustrator, and how to upload it onto our site take a look:  
http://ideas.veer.com/post/11306

- Brian
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 17:39 by Brian O'Shea »

bittersweet

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 17:59 »
 - Our team will regenerate new previews and JPEG derivatives from all existing vector content currently on the site. Were midway through that process now.

Hey Brian,

I'm glad to hear this news about the jpg sizes being imminent. Can I hopefully assume that my existing previews that have been regenerated before, but not entirely successfully, will appear correctly after this new regeneration is complete?

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 18:49 »

Hey Brian,

I'm glad to hear this news about the jpg sizes being imminent. Can I hopefully assume that my existing previews that have been regenerated before, but not entirely successfully, will appear correctly after this new regeneration is complete?

Hi Whatalife -

:)
I'll double-check, but my understanding is that new previews will be generated for all existing vectors (along with the full slate of JPEGs for customers as well).

- Brian

bittersweet

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 18:52 »

Hey Brian,

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that the new method they use works better than whatever happened last time. ;) thank you!
Hi Whatalife -

:)
I'll double-check, but my understanding is that new previews will be generated for all existing vectors (along with the full slate of JPEGs for customers as well).

- Brian

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 23:50 »
Hi Brian,

Possible to feedback that let's veer system to generate the 5400 maximum size raster jpg based on eps we uploaded?

It takes a lot time to re-generate those eps and tag keywords?

if veer can generate it based on eps we uploaded, i am sure there are more uploadings and happy experience. thanks.

rubyroo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:58 »
Off-topic - but, as you're around at the moment Brian.  I'm not complaining, but just wondered if it was possible to get some idea of review queue turnaround just now?  Is the average six weeks, three months etc.? 

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 14:58 »
Hi Brian,

Possible to feedback that let's veer system to generate the 5400 maximum size raster jpg based on eps we uploaded?

if veer can generate it based on eps we uploaded, i am sure there are more uploadings and happy experience. thanks.

Hi MKTang -

Great question. We have looked at that - but as we are regenerating a high-res for existing content in a pretty manual way, (we just don't find the automated ways to create very satisfactory results) we don't think this would be very feasible for us to do on a regular/daily basis going forward.

To help though - we can talk to Shawn Haskell about possibly creating an action or droplet that makes it easier and faster for you.

- Brian

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 15:00 »
Off-topic - but, as you're around at the moment Brian.  I'm not complaining, but just wondered if it was possible to get some idea of review queue turnaround just now?  Is the average six weeks, three months etc.? 

Hi rubyroo -

No worries - we're making a big push now to get as caught up as we can before the end of the year. Right now it's been averaging ~30-40 days, though we are working through some of those oldest batches now. We aim to get this down to 7-10 days as soon as we can. You should see good progress being made on your pending files over the next few weeks.

- Brian

rubyroo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 15:24 »
Wonderful.  Thank you so much Brian.  :)

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15 »
Hi Brian,
I uploaded two vectors today (.eps + .jpg same filename), but the processing of the images has problems and do not terminate... ???

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:58 »
Hi Brian,
I uploaded two vectors today (.eps + .jpg same filename), but the processing of the images has problems and do not terminate... ???

Hi Tilo-  When did you attempt this?  We've just tested the upload system on all browsers and it appears to be working properly at the moment.  Please try again and email [email protected] if you encounter any further troubles

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 13:31 »
Hi Ryan, thanks for your message. I did the upload several hours ago. I did another test several minutes ago, it still fails. I'm sending an email.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51 »
I just spend at least 20 minutes to regenerate 5 of my eps jpg preview from 4500 to 5000px, and re-tag all the keyword, cut and paste in photoshop and save it as another 5000px jpg.

I wonder what if someone with let's say just 100 eps that wants to upload to veer? but the jpg preview is not as big as 5000px?

the jpg preview for most of the eps vector are just to tag the IPTC data so the system read it and keywords are filled. It wasn't neccessary that BIG for that purpose. Other agencies are generate the size they want from the eps..

veer should have thought again this implementation..

Hi Brian,

Hi MKTang -

Great question. We have looked at that - but as we are regenerating a high-res for existing content in a pretty manual way, (we just don't find the automated ways to create very satisfactory results) we don't think this would be very feasible for us to do on a regular/daily basis going forward.

To help though - we can talk to Shawn Haskell about possibly creating an action or droplet that makes it easier and faster for you.

- Brian

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:02 »
I wonder what if someone with let's say just 100 eps that wants to upload to veer?
I have nearly 2000, so I wasn't sure when I'd get around to converting them if ever. This whole thing just put up a giant barrier to actually uploading. I guess it is a good way to throttle uploads.

That said, I was thinking about a work flow to convert them though. I did one this morning and it wasn't too bad. I'll need to create a few Photoshop action scripts. Still, it's a shame that this happened. I'll probably wait awhile to see if Veer comes up with a better solution.

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 14:48 »
I sympathize with the people who have problems with the new requirements. But I already have to prepare my vectors in different ways for different agencies, so I can't single out Veer to complain about.

And I have to say that I like the way Veer has announced and handled this change. I like the way they explained why they are making the change and how to meet their requirements.

If anyone has problems with the new requirements, you should check out this video on their site. It is helpful and very well done:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VeerIdeas?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/gK8o98Fh-T0

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 16:12 »
Weve altered the vector upload workflow so that we can support offering customers a full-slate of rasterized JPEGs in addition to your .EPS vector. This was something many of you, and many of our customers, have been waiting for.
This means that your original .EPS vector file and a full suite of JPEG sizes from XS to XXL will be presented together to the customer on a single product detail page.
This is important - customers will now have the option to pick the file format and size that works best for them.

Is there an update on this? I haven't heard anything more about it or seen it implemented either.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 14:24 »

Is there an update on this? I haven't heard anything more about it or seen it implemented either.

The system has been implemented for all new uploads, or were you referring to when we would be creating JPEG versions of all previously published EPS files?
This is a manual process and it's taking a bit longer then we had hoped.  We've already converted a large portion of previously published EPS files, but it's now looking to be around mid to late February before we will have the rest of the JPEGs created and on the site available for purchase.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 14:31 »
The system has been implemented for all new uploads, or were you referring to when we would be creating JPEG versions of all previously published EPS files?
This is a manual process and it's taking a bit longer then we had hoped.  We've already converted a large portion of previously published EPS files, but it's now looking to be around mid to late February before we will have the rest of the JPEGs created and on the site available for purchase.

Thanks. That answers my question. I was mostly curious about the old files, since I wanted to see the new system in action with my own files before I made any decision to undertake the long arduous task of preparing my back catalog files for upload or changing my work flow.