MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Photo's of the worlds largest cave passage recently discovered in Vietnam  (Read 4141 times)

donding

• Think before you speak
« on: January 03, 2011, 18:16 »
This is one the National Geographic website. This cave is in Vietnam and contains a river and a jungle and New York City block of Skyscrapers can fit into it. The pictures are beautiful and worth a look.

Here's the article
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110103/ts_yblog_thelookout/explorers-discover-spectacular-caves-in-vietnam

Here's the photo's on National Geographic website
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 18:26 »
thanks, good sharing.

I've been in some limestone caves in Laos, but nothing as big as these ones in the article.

One of the caves I went in Laos we had to walk/crawl for about 800m until we came to a small river inside the cave which we swum in. In hindsite it was pretty dangerous.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 18:32 »
thanks, good sharing.

I've been in some limestone caves in Laos, but nothing as big as these ones in the article.

One of the caves I went in Laos we had to walk/crawl for about 800m until we came to a small river inside the cave which we swum in. In hindsite it was pretty dangerous.

I bet it's beautiful over there. Never been but would love to go just to photograph.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 19:13 »
It was about 10 years ago I travelled through thailand, cambodia,laos and vietnam as part of a 9 month round the world trip.

I have about 2500 shots from that trip on kodak "max 400 print film". Still waiting to get finalised into albums. remember those things.

Laos was my favourite in this section of my trip as it wasn't overun with tourists and resorts etc. Laung Prabang was my favourite place. Security was a bit of an issue though, the week before we were there some rebels machine gunned a bus and killed a dozen people. Some parts of the country it was recommended not to go to at all. Also if you get off track there was risk of unexploded bombs from the vietnam war. I'm not sure what its like now probably alot better.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 23:27 »
The photos were great and the vastness and the size of the cave is amazing! Imagine skyscrapers can fit into this wonder of a cave!

newbielink:http://www.thebestblender.com/vita-mix-recipes/ [nonactive]

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 00:08 »
pretty cool photos, thanks for sharing

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 18:57 »
I 'scribe to NG...    a fantastic article.   I love caving!! 8)=tom

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 19:29 »
Fantastic!

I have been to caves in Brazil and abroad, but dry ones or with just some water inside.  There is one particularly famous in Brazil, at Chapada Diamantina, for the clarity of its water and the amazing effect of sunrays entering it. 

I have swimmed in a sister cave and it was an awesome experience, because the water is so clear and so still, it feels like floating.

Another also at Bonito:

However, these are all small. I've read in NGM about large caves in the Bahamas and Central America. But although I have dived a few times, cave diving is something I would be totally afraid of.

RacePhoto

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49 »
Cenote and Karst come to mind, but I think I'll never see one.

I'm panning on Easter Island, some Nevada ghost towns and Orkney if I ever get out of here alive.

Somehow the best and most popular spots don't always have the attraction. May I add Chichen Itza? :)

jkp

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 02:33 »
Photos are amazing, thanks for sharing!!