pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Yuri Arcurs SteadyPod for sale now. SuperAwesomeness-ness-ness  (Read 15125 times)

Yuri_Arcurs

• One Crazy PhotoManic MadPerson
« on: January 16, 2011, 16:09 »
The monopod of totalawesomeness has finally been finalized and is for sale now. Back seven months ago, I teamed up with Custom Brackets to create the perfect tool for high demand shooting. Long shooting days, high requirement for sharpness and very high degree of ease of use. I took my cut out to lower the price, so don't complain. This is for the professional shooter.

http://www.steady-pod.com/scripts/prodViewnew.asp?idproduct=217

You like? I love it. :)

Y

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 16:28 »
Looks very good Yuri!!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 20:38 »
Wrong forum methinks

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 20:50 »
Isn't there already a thread on this?

eta: Oh yes, here it is, for anyone interested: http://www.microstockgroup.com/blog-updates/yuri-arcurs-steadypod-review-first-impressions-%28blog%29/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 23:10 by sjlocke »

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 21:28 »
Is this really a $600 monopod?  That's absurd.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 21:39 »
What about round rubber bottom but which is loosed when you step on?

Yuri_Arcurs

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04 »
What about round rubber bottom but which is loosed when you step on?

That is fixed. :)
Regarding price: Custom Brackets makes top notch gear. It's for the professional.

Here are more pictures and a review. Tyler Olson of this forum also reviewed it and liked it. :)
http://www.dentonimages.com/page.php?id=Yuri_Arcurs_SteadyPod_By_Custom_Brackets_Review

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26 »

[/quote]
Regarding price: Custom Brackets makes top notch gear. It's for the professional.
[/quote]

Being a professional and the price of gear are two separate, unrelated things. That price for a monopod is simply ridiculous.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35 »

[/quote]

Being a professional and the price of gear are two separate, unrelated things. That price for a monopod is simply ridiculous.
[/quote]

I guess you can sell things at these prices when you are the best selling microstock photographer of all time

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43 »
I guess you can sell things at these prices when you are the best selling microstock photographer of all time

There's a sucker born every minute, so I'm sure there's a market for this thing.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:27 »

Most of the price is for the head alone and it is not uncommon at all to find even more expensive heads: have a look at Really-Right-Stuff or Arca Swiss products.

I don't know how quality-wise this monopod compares to other high-end products, but saying that the price is ridiculous for a monopod is just... ridiculous?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:29 by araminta »

helix7

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:14 »
Considering the expensive nature of most photography gear, I don't see this price being so outrageous. There are plenty of tripods that cost triple what this monopod costs, as well as many other monopods in the same price range. It's expensive, but so is most photography gear. It's an expensive business.

The problem I see is in the potential the market interest. Being most well known for his microstock work, Yuri's audience is largely microstock photographers (I'm assuming), and the segment of the microstock business that is working at a level that would afford some expensive gear like this is probably very small. It's going to take some marketing muscle to get this thing recognized in the more mainstream photography channels where Yuri is more likely to find potential buyers. Or he'll have to get it stocked by a major retailer.

But based on microstock industry awareness alone, I'd be surprised if there was much demand for this product.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:21 »
FYI, there is a photo accessory called "Steadepod".  Has a different spelling and function, but don't know if there is a conflict in name there.

RT

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 13:49 »
Or he'll have to get it stocked by a major retailer.

Custom brackets including the set up here have been available here in the UK at all the major retailers for quite some time, I've been toying over getting one of these for a over a year or so, the only thing that's stopped me is trying to figure out which actual plates, accessories I need (the custom brackets website ain't that good). The product itself is quality.

I think Yuri's just cut an endorsement deal where his name is on the product.

Yuri_Arcurs

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 14:03 »
Considering the expensive nature of most photography gear, I don't see this price being so outrageous. There are plenty of tripods that cost triple what this monopod costs, as well as many other monopods in the same price range. It's expensive, but so is most photography gear. It's an expensive business.

The problem I see is in the potential the market interest. Being most well known for his microstock work, Yuri's audience is largely microstock photographers (I'm assuming), and the segment of the microstock business that is working at a level that would afford some expensive gear like this is probably very small. It's going to take some marketing muscle to get this thing recognized in the more mainstream photography channels where Yuri is more likely to find potential buyers. Or he'll have to get it stocked by a major retailer.

But based on microstock industry awareness alone, I'd be surprised if there was much demand for this product.

There are no financials between me and custom bracket. I took my cut out to get the price down. Custom brackets is a top notch company in the likes of Gitzo and other top end brands. The price is fair, actually quite good if you compare it. The only condition i had when designing this product, was that I got to design it completely as I wanted it. It is so fine-tuned and "custom" and really does not compare to any other product out there. You will not find any swivel, head, tripod, bracket of any system, that can do what this thing can. I love it. I can't get my hands down. :)

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 15:18 »
I love it. I can't get my hands down. :)

I'd like to see someone other than Yuri say that

RT

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 16:38 »
The only condition i had when designing this product, was that I got to design it completely as I wanted it. It is so fine-tuned and "custom" and really does not compare to any other product out there.

I didn't notice that, what's the difference between your one and the one that Custom brackets have had out on sale for in the past. i.e. this http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-custom-brackets-digital-pro-sv-kit/p1026865 that's been out a couple of years. (Obviously it's without the monopod and tilt head but I don't want those anyway) On the link you've provided the apparently same set up is $308 which is more than what looks like an identical bracket on the site I've linked to. Has your version got some modifications?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 16:46 by RT »

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 18:26 »
The only condition i had when designing this product, was that I got to design it completely as I wanted it. It is so fine-tuned and "custom" and really does not compare to any other product out there.

I didn't notice that, what's the difference between your one and the one that Custom brackets have had out on sale for in the past. i.e. this http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-custom-brackets-digital-pro-sv-kit/p1026865 that's been out a couple of years. (Obviously it's without the monopod and tilt head but I don't want those anyway) On the link you've provided the apparently same set up is $308 which is more than what looks like an identical bracket on the site I've linked to. Has your version got some modifications?

Did you read the blog post on the monopod
http://blog.microstockgroup.com/yuri-arcurs-steadypod-review-first-impressions/
I covered most (I think all) of the differences between Yuri's new monopod and the old one he was using.

RT

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 18:47 »
I covered most (I think all) of the differences between Yuri's new monopod and the old one he was using.

I hadn't but have now thanks, so the only difference is they've added a different foot to the monopod (never had a problem with mine!) , the actual custom bracket is the same one as the link I showed. As Yuri has stated above he is not making any money from the deal it might be worth pointing out that if you don't want the monopod then check your local dealer as it might be cheaper.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14 »

I hadn't but have now thanks, so the only difference is they've added a different foot to the monopod (never had a problem with mine!) , the actual custom bracket is the same one as the link I showed. As Yuri has stated above he is not making any money from the deal it might be worth pointing out that if you don't want the monopod then check your local dealer as it might be cheaper.

The rotation part (mounting bracket) seems the same yeah, (Yuri can step in if I'm mistaken), the Yuri monopod also has that tilt head - which was a new piece.

RT

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 14:02 »
The rotation part (mounting bracket) seems the same yeah, (Yuri can step in if I'm mistaken), the Yuri monopod also has that tilt head - which was a new piece.

If Yuri could step in and let us know that would be great, I want one to mount on a geared head and studio stand so the monopod and tilt head aren't an issue for me, but a local equipment dealer has the top part and I know I can get it at a very good rate (*), if it's no different I'll go for one because as I said before I've seen them and they're quality stuff.

(*) Yuri the Custom Brackets website is terrible, I'm sure if they got that sorted dealers would shift loads more, but my dealer told me that like me most people just can't work out what bits they need for what, hence I can get one at a good deal because the dealer wants to get them out of the warehouse. Oh and thanks for your link to your set up, I now know what I need  :D

Yuri_Arcurs

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 03:29 »

If Yuri could step in and let us know that would be great, I want one to mount on a geared head and studio stand so the monopod and tilt head aren't an issue for me, but a local equipment dealer has the top part and I know I can get it at a very good rate (*), if it's no different I'll go for one because as I said before I've seen them and they're quality stuff.

(*) Yuri the Custom Brackets website is terrible, I'm sure if they got that sorted dealers would shift loads more, but my dealer told me that like me most people just can't work out what bits they need for what, hence I can get one at a good deal because the dealer wants to get them out of the warehouse. Oh and thanks for your link to your set up, I now know what I need  :D

I agree that the website is not the best and is holding back a lot of potential sales, because people can't figure it out. I have included some extra text in on the page about the steadypod and if you read it, it should make it clear what extra parts you might need. I was confused myself too you see. :)

The whole system is built partly on existing parts, but almost all of them are slightly modified so the system can't be built on just old parts. The older parts are also simply not as nicely built as the new ones.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 00:50 »

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 09:35 »
Is this really a $600 monopod?  That's absurd.

Agreed.  I'm a firm believer in camera support and have tripods small and large thru a camera stand in studio and have invested far more than this costs, yet I do not own a monopod.  I find that I like to direct models posing with one hand while I am firing with the other which would be compromised with a monopod.  Additionally if you are working with an art director or client and you need to discuss the details of a shot either on the camera back or tethered to a computer, recomposing the exact shot when not locked down on a tripod is simply guess work.  Outside of sports arenas with long lenses (which rotate on their own), monopods are marginally useful.  Just get a tripod and ball head--far more versatile use of funds.