MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Ktools Photostore  (Read 76220 times)

lisafx

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2011, 18:12 »

I recommend that as soon as you are happy with the site layout and functionality, and have a decent sized portfolio uploaded, that you start marketing it.  No reason to wait for the entire portfolio to be uploaded.  Personally, I can't wait to see what you do with the site.  You are the first high scale microstock contributor I know of who is doing this.  Five years from now I would assume the majority of high scale contributors will have their own store fronts.

Thanks for the compliment, but I believe Elena outsells me on most of the micros.  But I agree on principle.  Anyone with a quality stock portfolio should consider setting up their own site.  Even with me having to hire some of the trickiest stuff done, it still is not prohibitively expensive. 

I also liked Elena's idea, or some version of it, for a sort of co-op or confederation of separate stock artist's sites pooling their resources and marketing themselves as a group.  Strength in numbers, and all that. 

Fotonaut

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2011, 18:40 »
I also liked Elena's idea, or some version of it, for a sort of co-op or confederation of separate stock artist's sites pooling their resources and marketing themselves as a group.  Strength in numbers, and all that. 

Photoshelter has an option to create "virtual agencies", connecting like-minded individual photographers. That could fly under the radar of the microstock non compete policies. This might be the way to go for Lisas, Elenas and such, though even that pool would not be more than one hundred thousand images (or two) at best. Stockfresh seem to think that a million images is needed for it beeing worth advertising for.

With Ktools one could use the contributor add on, but then it would be an actual agency.
Photoshelter has an Multi-User option to create an agency, but that is very expensive (from $2,750/year).

lisafx

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2011, 19:15 »
Thanks for the suggestions Fotonaut.  I will give my ktools site a year or so and if I can't seem to find my buyers I may consider going the Photoshelter route instead.  Even there, though, I think you have to drum up your own sales. 

As for the confederation idea, I wasn't really talking about setting up an agency, with multiple contributors.  More of an alliance of individuals, each who have their own site.  At least that was my understanding of what was being discussed.  Since independent contributors are allowed to sell from our own sites, I don't see how it would run afoul of the agencies non-compete clauses?

Besides, if the agencies should be worried by a few independent photographers setting up their own sites, they always have the option of raising our royalties so we don't feel the need to search for other options. :)

Personally, setting up my own site, maintaining, and marketing it was something I'd hoped never to have to be bothered doing.  It is only the recent actions of some of the agencies that have pushed me in this direction. 

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 04:14 »
did anyone using ktools look at some of other options that are around the same price? such as

http://www.stockboxphoto.com/
http://www.xpoze.org/
http://www.pixaria.com/

it seems ktools is what most people have gone with so I'm just wondering in my ignorance what people are seeing that has made them choose ktools?

Fotonaut

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52 »
did anyone using ktools look at some of other options that are around the same price? such as

http://www.stockboxphoto.com/
http://www.xpoze.org/
http://www.pixaria.com/

it seems ktools is what most people have gone with so I'm just wondering in my ignorance what people are seeing that has made them choose ktools?

It is some years since I went for Ktools, but all of the above were considered. Some important aspects:

- Features (especially contributor add on option)
- Price
- Look and feel
- Hosting (Ktools hosting with free/managed updates)

Pixaria seems to have come a long way with version 3.0. Today I might have made that choice.

If Ktools Photostore 4 ever is realized, it will be ahead again, though. From what has been presented, it looks really good. But it has been a looong wait.

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10 »
The other interesting one is http://www.cmsaccount.com and the PhotoVideo script - tons of features, but sort of a mess on the admin side. I couldn't bring myself to do it, though it's cheap and has some nice stock templates.

I recently chose Pixaria 3 over Ktools 3 for a site and I love it - smarty templates and many other things that Ktools won't have unit v4. It's really nice to work with. But the ktools script does more and is more flexible in many ways, such as managing contributors, reviewing photos, offering pricing and subscription flexibility, multiple sizes, etc... better for a microstock-type site. Ktools V4 will put it in rarified air if it every appears.

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2011, 15:27 »

@Whiz
To make the search term type a default you will need to edit the search_bar.php file.
You will see this:
Code: [Select]
<select name="match_type">  <option value="all" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "all"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_all; ?></option>
<option value="any" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "any"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_any; ?></option>
<?PHP if($setting->hide_id != 1){ ?>
<option value="id" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "id"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_id; ?></option>
<?PHP } ?>
<option value="exact" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "exact"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_exact; ?></option>
</select>

Right above that code put in this:
Code: [Select]
<?PHP
if(!$_SESSION['search_match_type']){
$_SESSION['search_match_type'] = "exact";
}
?>

That should make it so that when a new visitors visits, the search type is set to exact to start with.

In case this helps anybody (copy and paste):

<select name="match_type">
<option value="exact" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "exact"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_exact; ?></option>
<option value="any" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "any"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_any; ?></option>
 <?PHP if($setting->hide_id != 1){ ?>
<option value="id" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "id"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_id; ?></option>
<?PHP } ?>
<option value="all" <?PHP if($_SESSION['search_match_type'] == "all"){ echo "selected"; } ?>><?PHP echo $search_match_all; ?></option>
</select>

Also, you may want to apply this same technique to the Search this Gallery area. If you do not, then the main search bar will have the exact match setting, but the gallery search bar will not. Just open the gallery.php file and do the above code again.

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2011, 16:15 »
Pixaria seems to have come a long way with version 3.0. Today I might have made that choice.

Their sample sites looks nice. Price is the same, I believe. A lot of money to set aside for a small microstock portfolio like mine.

I wonder which solution (if any of these) would be better for RM images?

I had thought of having just the thumbnails in my website and the buyer would ask for a quotation, all transactions would run outside the site itself. Cheaper, but maybe less effective.

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2011, 18:11 »
Pixaria is certainly easy to have it just ask the user to submit a query about the image. It's one of the default setting, in fact. Not sure about ktools - I've never run it this way. Pixaria can bet set up for RM as well. I think there's a RM calc in ktools, but I don't recall.

lisafx

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 18:29 »
Yes. Ktools has an option to sell RM too. 

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 12:41 »
I had someone sign up as a photographer last night. I removed the signup php file today, but I couldn't figure out how they got to the page (unless it was a direct request). Did I miss a check box or a link somewhere?

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 18:28 »
I had someone sign up as a photographer last night. I removed the signup php file today, but I couldn't figure out how they got to the page (unless it was a direct request). Did I miss a check box or a link somewhere?

I just looked at your site and I don't see anywhere where that would be possible. In fact, I signed up for a free account and I didn't see anything in the creation of that account, either. That's weird. To get to the direct request, they would have to know the workings and names of the PhotoStore pages, no?

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 18:45 »
I just looked at your site and I don't see anywhere where that would be possible. In fact, I signed up for a free account and I didn't see anything in the creation of that account, either. That's weird. To get to the direct request, they would have to know the workings and names of the PhotoStore pages, no?

Thanks for taking a look. I didn't know if I was missing something. I guess they could either know the structure or taken an educated guess. I emailed them to see what they did. Hopefully, I get a response back. Also, I have to approve contributors, so it wasn't like they started uploading files. Regardless, I removed the php file, so no more backdoor. It makes me wonder if I should clean house on the other files that I'm not using.

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2011, 20:56 »

Thanks for taking a look. I didn't know if I was missing something. I guess they could either know the structure or taken an educated guess. I emailed them to see what they did. Hopefully, I get a response back. Also, I have to approve contributors, so it wasn't like they started uploading files. Regardless, I removed the php file, so no more backdoor. It makes me wonder if I should clean house on the other files that I'm not using.

Perhaps they just did a Google search, and stumbled across it by accident?

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2011, 23:41 »

Perhaps they just did a Google search, and stumbled across it by accident?

Well, if that's what happened, then it's kind of good news because at least cthoman is being found in a search, even if it's not exactly a buyer.

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2011, 16:36 »
If someone with more technical skills than me can give a summary of the advantges and disadvantages between Pixaria and Photostore, I would be very grateful.

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2011, 15:01 »
Also, I have to approve contributors, so it wasn't like they started uploading files.

There goes my big plan.  I have a portfolio of beautiful circles and squares to upload somewhere as EPS files.   :-[

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 21:09 »
Hey! Glad I found you folks.  The Ktools internal support forum is pretty dead.  I've asked a bunch of questions there in the past 2 weeks with very little replies (maybe I was the spam?)

I started a couple of weeks ago with their "rental" package which includes hosting so I've not had any real set-up problems.  I do have a bunch of questions and will likely be looking at some customizing but think I should wait till version 4.  Support did tell me that all customizations in Ver 3 will be lost with the upgrade...

I'm off to read what's already been posted...
Chuck

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 20:05 »
Hi Gang,
Does anybody know how to add a links page?
I know it has to be done in PHP.
I'm trying to figure out how to add a text link in the footer to the right of the "Terms of Use" text and then create the page that it would pull up if someone clicked on it.

Anyone?

Cross linking wanted! (After I get the link page happening)
Thanks!
Chuck
newbielink:http://www.stockmodels.com [nonactive]

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2011, 08:36 »
Hi Gang,
Does anybody know how to add a links page?
I know it has to be done in PHP.
I'm trying to figure out how to add a text link in the footer to the right of the "Terms of Use" text and then create the page that it would pull up if someone clicked on it.

Anyone?

Cross linking wanted! (After I get the link page happening)
Thanks!
Chuck
http://www.stockmodels.com

I think that can be changed or added in the footer.php page. And maybe some language needs to be added to language>english.php right around line 768 in the footer section? I do not know php, but maybe this will get you in the right area? I've only made some minor changes in the php pages of my site.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:42 by cclapper »

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2011, 11:05 »
Hi cclapper,
Thanks - I found the footer.php page and I think I could add the "text" for the word "links" there but then where/how does that text link to or "pull from" some page of info, and how do I add that page of info.  I'm sure these are basic newbie PHP questions but I have no idea! ;-)

Chuck

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 11:25 »
Hi cclapper,
Thanks - I found the footer.php page and I think I could add the "text" for the word "links" there but then where/how does that text link to or "pull from" some page of info, and how do I add that page of info.  I'm sure these are basic newbie PHP questions but I have no idea! ;-)

Chuck

Hi Chuck
Yeah, I know as much about it as you...sorry.

I do see that you change the wording of the type at the bottom in the English.php file. For instance, I changed the word Licensing to Licensing Agreement on line 768. Then it looks like the footer.php pulls that line from the English.php file. I'm just not sure how you add the a href for the link. If you look down to line 38, ktools added their link in. I'm basically just thinking out loud here.

Hopefully someone who knows will jump in to help.

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2011, 12:15 »
I'm guessing here, but there is a file called blank_page.php. I would think if you make a copy of that and rename it, then paste in the info you want into the body. Then you'll just need to put a link to it in the footer or somewhere else. I think you can add extra things to the left nav from the content section of the manager too (left box 1, 2 etc.).

If you can figure it out, it's probably a good idea to set up a local host on your machine too, so you can test things first. You may need to kidnap a nerd for that or the Ktools support might recommend a LAMP one click install that works best.  ;D

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2011, 21:53 »
Hello Lisa,

Hope you're well..   just checking on how your site is going? I used the same Ktools site to set up my own small RF site awhile ago. 
Found it easier to get someone in for a few hours to sort the last PHP issues.  Well worth with it in the end...  now if I could only
stop shooting in my real job and start playing here, I'd be happy.   www.royaltyfreesportphotos.com

Take care...  can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers,  JC

lisafx

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 17:27 »
Wow, JC!  Congrats on a really beautiful, professional looking site!  I'm with you.  It's well worth it to me to pay someone with experience to do what customization I wanted. 

Hope you have great success selling your impressive sports images :D