MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Photogs meet with James West CEO of Alamy at Brooklyn office yesterday  (Read 7785 times)

« on: March 02, 2011, 14:02 »
Last night around 30 or 40 Alamy photography contributors met James West, the extraordinarily engaging CEO of Alamy at their DUMBO office, an area of Brooklyn a short subway ride away from Manhattan.

He and several employees shared useful and interesting information about Alamy's past, present, and plans for future. Of course, nothing was off-the-record, though some plans were just alluded to, for reasons of commonsense business timing. And at least one fellow contributor I chatted with has a port not much larger than mine. (BTW, as far as I recall, this is the first I've happened to post about Alamy here since I knew about the meeting.)

I respect Alamy even more than before, and it looks like it will be first stock agency I do specific blog post about, which is one more agency than I expected. Once it's up, I'll post link to it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 14:04 by ann »

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 14:23 »
So - the CEO of Alamy is a very cool guy, and he recently said a a whole bunch of interesting things to a group of photographers, none of which can be revealed to those of us who weren't invited.

;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 14:39 by stockastic »

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 15:04 »
Stockastic - Okay, I noticed your  ;)  wink, so I hope I'm not totally misunderstanding you...

Today's a crazy day - what else is new, everyone's day is crazy - but I look upon MSG forum members as my friends, and my above post was sort of a quick "last night was something you might be interested in, and I'm going to take the time to write about it clearly, so I can then share it with you in best way." I did mention: "Of course, nothing was off-the-record..." (Based on what people happened to mention, we seemed a diverse group of big and small contributors.)

smiles - Ann

So - the CEO of Alamy is a very cool guy, and he recently said a a whole bunch of interesting things to a group of photographers, none of which can be revealed to those of us who weren't invited.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 15:24 by ann »

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 15:27 »
Yeah it was meant to be funny.   

Your original post didn't really make it clear that some actual details might be forthcoming...

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 17:09 »
I look forward to reading your blog posts.  I'm a big alamy fan and really liked watching the videos of their AGM's a few years ago.  Any news about their future plans would be great.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50 »
sharpshot - Alamy post is up - hope you find something useful in it:

http://annparryny.blogspot.com/2011/03/meeting-alamy-ceo-james-west-in.html

I'm sure I'll be tweaking it. If anyone notices a factual error in it, please PM me.

I look forward to reading your blog posts.  I'm a big alamy fan and really liked watching the videos of their AGM's a few years ago.  Any news about their future plans would be great.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:53 by ann »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:58 »
sharpshot - Alamy post is up - hope you find something useful in it:

http://annparryny.blogspot.com/2011/03/meeting-alamy-ceo-james-west-in.html
I'm sure I'll be tweaking it. If anyone notices a factual error in it, please PM me.

Thanks, Ann, that was interesting/enlightening reading.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 13:17 »
thanks, ShadySue.   :D   FYI, I recently added this info:

"James West said Alamy is working toward a lower payout threshold, which currently is at $250...."

(I also added link to the blog post on MSG's blog section, since it might be easy to miss here.)