MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is RM and the same photo but logo removed RF acceptable?  (Read 6066 times)

« on: March 07, 2011, 10:45 »
In Alamy, there are 3 options, RF, L and L protected, so my understanding is if you choose L, then you can upload the same photo to other agency as a RM as well, is it right?

And one more question, can I remove all logos of a RM photo to Alamy again as a RF photo?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:51 by williamju »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:41 »
In Alamy, there are 3 options, RF, L and L protected, so my understanding is if you choose L, then you can upload the same photo to other agency as a RM as well, is it right?

And one more question, can I remove all logos of a RM photo to Alamy again as a RF photo?
I believe L and L protected are now, or are shortly about to be merged into RM.
RM is not exclusive to Alamy, but if submitting over multiple sites, make sure your record keeping is precise and always up to date. For example, should a buyer wish exclusive rights on an image, you'd need to know whether the same image, or a sister/similar, has sold from another agency to the same market they're hoping to buy exclusive rights for.
Your RM/RF question is interesting, but I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone else knows the answer, as opposed to speculating.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 13:16 »
My understanding is that RF is fully released (usually without logos) for models and/or property.

L and L protected are equal to RM (which may have no model/property releases, so they could be used for editorial purposes).

So far I thought L is non-exclusive Rights Managed (RM) which allows you to sell the same image at other agencies under the same (non-exclusive) license (but not as RF).

L protected means that the image is exclusive to Alamy. So buyers instantly know that this image cannot be licensed anywhere else besides Alamy.

It can happen though, that an L image might be requested exclusively and Alamy will contact the photographer to find out if the photo is only available at Alamy or if it has been uploaded somewhere else.

As for removing logos of RM/L images and selling them RF. Legally I would say you can do it - I just don't know how potential buyers feel about that.

Alamy's RF license gives you a lot of freedom while L licenses are tailored to the customers needs but could be a lot more expensive than the RF version. If it doesn't make a difference to the buyer whether there is a logo in the image or not you could upset a buyer by offering the "same image" at two hugely different price points.

As it has been mentioned before, you "could" offer any image at any agency with any license not caring about legalities etc. but there is a big risk in getting banned from the agency/ies or pi$$ing off potential buyers.

I personally never take an L image and offer it as RF as well just without the logos.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 13:18 by click_click »

RacePhoto

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53 »
L was replaced by RM as of Feb 21st.

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2011/02/21/4863.aspx

(previously posted in this section)

L is no more.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12 »

L is no more.

LOL - my bad. Although I'm uploading to Alamy daily I haven't realized it. I've only submitted RF this year so I didn't pay attention.

RacePhoto

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:18 »
One of those things that you would have to read the forum, or happen upon it in the blog. Sometimes I think that every blog post should be emailed to all of us. My delete key works just fine. :D

Not a huge deal, just that the more often it gets into the forum here, the less we'll see the old "L" questions, now that Alamy got with the rest of the industry and named things so we can understand them.

I'm worse, unless I'm putting something up on a lark or just because I did it and I was bored, everything is Editorial, so I get used to that and it's as easy as "No Model Release" - everything is automatic after that. ALl the restrictions, licenses and everything set. Nice for someone lazy.

L is no more.

LOL - my bad. Although I'm uploading to Alamy daily I haven't realized it. I've only submitted RF this year so I didn't pay attention.