pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Royalties lower than 2004!  (Read 22111 times)

« on: March 07, 2011, 14:08 »
I started a thread in IS's help forum this morning because I received a 34 cent royalty on an XS image sale (regular collection, not dollar bin). At a 35% royalty rate and 2 credits for that size, the buyer paid 48 cents a credit.

If a newbie independent - at 15% royalty - made an XS sale (1 credit) that would net them just over 7 cents. That's less than the 10 cents a sale royalty I got for a small size (it was S, M, L then) in 2004 when I was a newbie (and there was no exclusivity then; everyone was 20%). Even Yuri at 20% would only net 9.6 cents royalty on an XS.

You can see the discssion - if there is any - here, including Sean's referencce to an earlier enquiry about 50 cent per credit prices where CR had responded that it was a special deal for a large buyer.

I guess my thought was that too many credit sales at that sort of a discount and you've effectively brought the partner program to iStock - I'd have made 42 cents a sale on that image if it had been via the partner program.

I'm not sure where contributors go with this sort of price squeeze. But it does make me think that we have more to worry about than the RC targets that will determine our 2012 royalty rates. If IS is trying to bolster market share by cutting prices to bigger buyers our $$ per download are going to slip. Very depressing stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 16:42 by jsnover »

lisafx

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 17:57 »
Yikes!  That is disturbingly low.  Thanks for linking the discussion at IS.  Can't believe I will be expected to accept royalties lower than 10 cents a download!  

I haven't had any yet, that I know of, but I don't really watch that sort of thing closely.  You can bet I will be watching now!

Just checked.  I had three today at .15 and one at .09!!!  :o

I'm going to be sick....  >:(  :P  :'(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 18:04 by lisafx »

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 18:04 »
Well that sucks.

And while I fully grasp the possible repercussions of PP participation, this is in part why I've chosen to participate (despite its poor performance). It just seems that no matter what, the powers that be will continue to make business decisions - even where IS proper is concerned - that will unfavorably impact us all.

So, since I see no route to beating them, I'm just trying to collect as many pennies as possible from whatever avenue is open to me. As the rules everywhere keep changing and we have no idea what fresh hell is coming down the pike, why not?

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 18:04 »
Just in the last 3 days, I have had royalties of 13 cents, 19 cents, and 22 cents.  I've been considering pulling my portfolio for a while.  This is a new low.  I've been doing this since 2007 and these are the most pathetic commissions I have every seen.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 18:07 »
So, since I see no route to beating them, I'm just trying to collect as many pennies as possible from whatever avenue is open to me.

Unfortunately many contributors think this way, which is why we are in this situation in the first place.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 18:48 »
So, since I see no route to beating them, I'm just trying to collect as many pennies as possible from whatever avenue is open to me.

Unfortunately many contributors think this way, which is why we are in this situation in the first place.

You beat me to it Dan. And just to add...next on the horizon from Getty/IS is getting as many contributors as they can to work for nothing. And there will be many who will say "well, there's no way to beat them, so I might as well try it and maybe someone else will see my port and pay me some money. After all, they are the biggest agency."

lisafx

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 18:55 »

You beat me to it Dan. And just to add...next on the horizon from Getty/IS is getting as many contributors as they can to work for nothing. And there will be many who will say "well, there's no way to beat them, so I might as well try it and maybe someone else will see my port and pay me some money. After all, they are the biggest agency."

Sad to say it is looking that way.  Free images as part of some promotion or other is probably on the horizon. 

This seems very underhanded to me.  Some of the other sites have free image sections, but you have the option to donate or not, and you get to choose what, if anything, to put in there. 

Getting .09 for an image is practically free and I don't have any option not to participate, other than completely leaving the site (which may eventually be necessary). 

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 19:21 »
I'm still the smallest of fish... but although the income doesn't really mean much to me, yet, the feeling of being taken to the cleaners does.

After a long hiatus I'm starting to do some more photos, but at this point I don't plan on giving them to IS.

I understand the feelings of resignation expressed by some of you for whom the income definitely does matter.  And I have one small suggestion.  

I think it's obvious that the situation at IS now amounts to an abusive relationship and is only going to get worse.  In an abusive relationship, the answer is to leave; but in this case we'd need a lot of contributors to reach that same decision.   And what's missing I think is a direction - a place to go, that everyone starts hearing about.

I'm thinking that if a few contributors announced they were leaving IS and putting their portfolio on one of the 'fair trade' sites, and plugged it by name...   and a few more followed... and left some posts on the IS forum (quickly deleted, of course, but not before some other contributors saw them)... and Twitter lit up with the news... and a big thread got rolling here on microstockgroup...  and a mass movement got started....  

What I am saying is that the herd is ready to migrate, but just needs direction, a specific vision of new place just over the hill,  to head for...   a stampede could get started.  

Of course this could be a bonanza for that 'fair trade' site, so I have to make it clear I'm not affiliated with one, nor can I specifically recommend one.   And it would take some much bigger players than me to get this ball rolling, and they'd take a serious financial hit.   But 7 cents, people.  7 cents.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 19:27 by stockastic »

lisafx

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 19:32 »

I think it's obvious that the situation at IS now amounts to an abusive relationship and is only going to get worse.  In an abusive relationship, the answer is to leave; but in this case what what's needed is for a lot of contributors to reach that same decision.   And what's missing I think is a direction - a place to go.

I'm thinking that if a few contributors announced they were leaving IS and putting their portfolio on one of the 'fair trade' sites, and plugged it by name...   and a few more followed... and left some posts on the IS forum (quickly deleted, of course, but not before some other contributors saw them)... and Twitter lit up with the news... and a big thread got rolling here on microstockgroup...  and a mass movement got started....  

What I am saying is that the herd is ready to migrate, but just needs direction, a specific vision of new place just over the hill,  to head for...   a stampede could get started.  

Your abusive relationship analogy has been made a number of times, and is of course, dead accurate.  

People do seem to be leaving, but they are mostly doing so in proportion to the amount of income they can afford to lose from Istock.  

Problem is that there IS NO OTHER SITE to go to that produces the income Istock does that independents aren't already on.  So leaving Istock represents something in the ballpark of 20-40% loss of income for an independent that pulls out.  For an exclusive the loss would be even higher, because it takes time to get established on other sites.  

There is no appealing, instant solution to this problem.  Wish there was some mythical, "fair trade site" that would magically make up for the several thousand $ a year I would lose by just pulling out of Istock right now, but there isn't.

For high sales volume contributors, leaving Istock is a gradual process, and one that they themselves seem eager to accelerate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 19:34 by lisafx »

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 19:35 »

I don't see it that way.

If we formed a union of some kind, maybe we could demand a difference, but the issue raised by the OP on this thread is paltry royalties on the IS site proper. And in discussing this with another iStocker, it was brought to my attention that this is essentially what has been going on in the 'quit your day job' Getty offering. People being paid pennies for their work, when all were led to believe that participation there would be low sales but high commissions (of say $60 on average).

So now that iStock proper is paying pennies on some sales, is everyone going to jump ship? I doubt it. My point was that they would have done something like this anyway. PP or no PP.

They do stuff like this because they can. And so they will. And so, I'll take what pennies I can get while I can get them, because I don't see much of a full-time future for many of us, if I'm being honest, in microstock. Not unless something grandiose comes to pass and we all organize against the way the tide is turning.

Going full time was something I used to dream and scheme about, but, in the end, I'm glad I kept my day job. I like a steady paycheck and the stress of this rapidly changing industry and how/when/if royalties or commissions are going to change is too much for me to deal with on an annual basis.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 19:40 by Risamay »

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 19:40 »
Yes, I fully realize none of the "fair trade" sites are generating sales that are even significant at this point.  What I am saying is that if enough contributors starting talking up "Micro X" as being the lifeboat they were climbing into,  a serious movement might get started.   And if big portfolios suddenly started coming to Micro X, and buyers starting hearing about a migration from IS to Micro X, and looked at it,  the thing might start feeding on itself.  My fairy tale ends with Micro X, within a few months, starting to generate some big numbers.

It's not a complete fantasy.  Things like this have happened: a business that once had a lock on a market suddenly realizes - too late - that there's a new kid on the block who's eating their lunch.  

The key is having a specific escape plan, a destination with a name, i.e. "have you heard? Everyone's moving to Micro X!"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 19:44 by stockastic »

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 19:42 »
[dup]

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 19:43 »

I spent so much time over the years building up a portfolio there. With my slow Internet connection, the old school manual keywording (photo by photo after upload), the disambiguation, etc. For that reason alone, I'll leave it there and try to squeeze every red cent out of it that I can. I'd rather a few pennies for my efforts than nothing at all.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 19:55 »
Yes, I fully realize none of the "fair trade" sites are generating sales that are even significant at this point.  What I am saying is that if enough contributors starting talking up "Micro X" as being the lifeboat they were climbing into,  a serious movement might get started.   And if big portfolios suddenly started coming to Micro X, and buyers starting hearing about a migration from IS to Micro X, and looked at it,  the thing might start feeding on itself.  My fairy tale ends with Micro X, within a few months, starting to generate some big numbers.

I may be jaded, but my prediction is the next step for Micro X would be to lower everyone's commissions, "because they can."

Was it really 4 years ago that Chad from Fotolia was hanging around on the Yahoo Micropayment boards, asking contributors for advice on how to build the site, and telling everyone that they would be selling our work for higher prices at a good commission %, and never have subscription sales?  I remember after their 2.0 site blowup, they were practically begging us to submit to them (to save their company obviously, which WE DID).

Didn't Dreamstime used to pay me a 50% commission before I left them in June of 2009?  Remember when Stockxpert said "no subs, not ever" and then added subs, and then totally sold the company?  Are you still excited about Stockfresh?

I don't care about Micro X.  ALL of these sites have a history of enticing contributors with higher commissions, and then lowering them when they get successful.  The whole industry could go down the drain tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a single tear.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 20:14 »
ALL of these sites have a history of enticing contributors with higher commissions, and then lowering them when they get successful.

Yup, yup. Which is why we all, ultimately, elect to roll with the punches if we stay on with any of these firms in any capacity (as exclusives, as indies, as full-timers, part-timers, hobbyists, etc.). And when it gets to be too much, we'll leave or they'll fold or whatever.

In the meantime, I'll just keep collecting my pennies.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 20:24 »
I don't care about Micro X.  ALL of these sites have a history of enticing contributors with higher commissions, and then lowering them when they get successful. 

Well sure they would, but not right away.  For one thing, they've just been the beneficiary of my mythical micro-stampede, so they know it can happen.  For another, they've tied their name to the "fair trade" slogan.  The microstocks crushed this business by exploiting the internet in new ways - contributors can fight back, as a Twitter mob.  Hey it worked in Egypt.

And anyway, no solution in life is ever permanent.   

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 21:11 »
I may be jaded, but my prediction is the next step for Micro X would be to lower everyone's commissions, "because they can."
Oh Dan. Have faith. A business wouldn't do that, would they? Put on the happy smile and break out the pom-poms.

C'mon everybody let's support Micro X. And be sure to use my affiliate link.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 21:14 »
Aaaah you guys.  No imagination.   Mubarek thought he was set for life, ready to hand it all over to his son -  never imagined Twitter could put 100,000 angry people at his doorstep. 

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 21:24 »
Okay. You have me all motivated. I'm fired up. I shall reserve the Twitter handle "angrymicrocontributor5150" and will conquer the world. But first can someone teach me how to use Twitter?

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 21:27 »
I was complaining the other day about only having two sales in the three weeks I have been active on IS; now-I am glad I have not had any sales at 7 cents or 9 cents.  If that is the future of IS; I am not interested!

There was a time I had a day job working for "the man"; I am self-employed and a photographer.  I will do weddings or babies before I do 7 cents an image.  

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 21:41 »
wasnt facebook a big part of the middle east uprising??? Im all for democracy and all but its just an avenue for people to bitch and progress is at a snails pace. Look at usa's political mess

velocicarpo

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 21:48 »
So, since I see no route to beating them, I'm just trying to collect as many pennies as possible from whatever avenue is open to me. As the rules everywhere keep changing and we have no idea what fresh hell is coming down the pike, why not?

I can`t believe that there are still people out there thinking like this...

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 21:52 »
Seriously though.  My point is not about Twitter it's that a migration away from IS could get started IF some promising small site became known as "the" place to go.  Somehow the mob has to focus on a goal; then mass psychology kicks in.  Pretty soon, things accelerate as contributors decide they want to get in early on the next big wave.    

I am trying to think of an example - of some business that thought they had it locked up, and then some upstart came along, and an exodus began... slowly at first, but then faster and faster...

One that comes to mind is Internet Explorer vs. Firefox.  But I'm sure there are better examples.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 21:54 »
 I will do weddings or babies before I do 7 cents an image.  

The epitaph for IS!  The slogan for the revolution!

"I will do weddings or babies before I do 7 cents an image."   

I'm getting the Zazzle t-shirts set up right now...

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 22:00 »

One that comes to mind is Internet Explorer vs. Firefox.  But I'm sure there are better examples.

Myspace vs. facebook would be an example of such a process (of course minus the obvious differences to microstock, such as nobody earning a living on myspace). An exodus from myspace began when facebook became cooler and the myspace users grew up and into the design of facebook which is more neutral, less playful and appeals to all kinds of people beyond puberty. And now the only people who still have a myspace account are those who where to lazy to delete it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 22:03 by Pheby »

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 22:04 »

Myspace vs. facebook would be an example of such a process. An exodus from myspace began when facebook became cooler and the myspace users grew up and into the design of facebook which is more neutral, less playful and appeals to all kinds of people beyond puberty. And now the only people who still have a myspace account are those who where to lazy to delete it.

A really good example.  I'm sure many MySpace users initially said they couldn't leave, because all their friends were on MySpace, and no one they knew was on Facebook.  And yet it happened.

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 22:15 »
Things seem to be changing for the worst in a matter of weeks so any sort of statistic is going to be outdated when you publish it. I am having for instance a terrible 1st quarter of march. I know ebb and flow, but I believe the video price hike really killed the golden - well lets re-phrase that - the copper goose (as in pennies). anybody else experiencing a further dramatic drop in income this week (like 60% down like me)?

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 22:37 »

Myspace vs. facebook would be an example of such a process. An exodus from myspace began when facebook became cooler and the myspace users grew up and into the design of facebook which is more neutral, less playful and appeals to all kinds of people beyond puberty. And now the only people who still have a myspace account are those who where to lazy to delete it.

A really good example.  I'm sure many MySpace users initially said they couldn't leave, because all their friends were on MySpace, and no one they knew was on Facebook.  And yet it happened.

Yes, but sadly, the myspace friends don't translate into the microstock dollars. Dollars (or in this case Pennies) are just the more powerful magnets. People left myspace and took a few friends with them, discovered that more and more people where joining facebook and started looking for old school friends and so on. We say goodbye to our pennies when we leave, not to fun and smalltalk with virtual friends in front of an awfully designed wallpaper (mmmh, well, let me think... that suddenly sounds a familiar setting after all!).

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 22:58 »
Okay. You have me all motivated. I'm fired up. I shall reserve the Twitter handle "angrymicrocontributor5150" and will conquer the world. But first can someone teach me how to use Twitter?

Like 99% of blogs which newer been redden, same is in this twit which is limited in 160 letter spaces  like on mobile phone on SMSmessage and dont be readen never or only once or few times.
blah forget it
I know you are joking

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 23:54 »
I am really curious about IS and how much $ people are making there.  I am assuming these tiny sales represent the minority of overall sales there right?

What's the most common size and price for a sale there? 

Mat

That's going to vary so much - vector vs. photos (or video or audio); image sizes available (it goes up to XXXL), exclusive/non (more credits per image for exclusives). For February I averaged about $4.25 per sale (almost all photos, handful of vectors). I don't do Vetta or Agency. Some of those who do will have much higher average sales.

lisafx

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14 »
I am really curious about IS and how much $ people are making there.  I am assuming these tiny sales represent the minority of overall sales there right?

What's the most common size and price for a sale there?  

Mat

In trying to answer your question, I discovered that these piddly little sales are having more of an impact on the bottom line than I thought.  Even more than the royalty cut.  

In both Jan & Feb, after the royalty cut but before these miniMicro discounted credits, my RPD on Istock was $1.16.  For March so far it's $1.09.  Thats a pretty steep drop.

In real $ that means that with these new credit packages, I am down $57 from what I would have typically made for that number of sales, over and above the royalty cut.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:20 by lisafx »

sc

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33 »
[quote author=lisafx link=topic=12685.msg188890#msg188890 date=1299604472

In trying to answer your question, I discovered that these piddly little sales are having more of an impact on the bottom line than I thought.  Even more than the royalty cut.  

In both Jan & Feb, after the royalty cut but before these miniMicro discounted credits, my RPD on Istock was $1.16.  For March so far it's $1.09.  Thats a pretty steep drop.

In real $ that means that with these new credit packages, I am down $57 from what I would have typically made for that number of sales, over and above the royalty cut.  
[/quote]

That's almost my exact same numbers, Lisa.
$1.16 for Jan & Feb and $1.07 so far in March.

Steve

lisafx

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 12:52 »

That's almost my exact same numbers, Lisa.
$1.16 for Jan & Feb and $1.07 so far in March.

Steve

Very interesting Steve.  Thanks for posting.  Would be interesting if others would add their numbers, to see how widespread this might be...

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 12:55 »
Mine have gone from $1.22 down to $1.15.  I haven't had one lower than 20c yet but many are only just over.

jen

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 13:00 »
As an exclusive:

RPD in January - $3.00
RPD in February - $3.19
RPD so far in March - $4.04

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 13:15 »
Would be interesting if others would add their numbers, to see how widespread this might be...

Mine;

Jan - 112c
Feb - 118c
Mar - 113c (so far)

It's roughly in line with what I expected from the commission decrease compared to 2010.

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 13:37 »
Jan - 1.71$
Feb - 1.08$
Mar - 1.16$ (until today)

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 14:03 »
As an exclusive at 25% :

Jan - 2.85$
Feb - 3.00$
March - 3.07$

And a comment for lisa: the numbers you posted are very close and it is hardly a steep decline. in order to determine if it is indeed a steep decline you must calculate your average and standard-deviation for a good few months back (lets say 12). if you have no idea what I am talking about I can do the calculations for you :)

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 14:09 »
Jan - $1.21
Feb - $1.19
Mar - $1.18

average across all three months was $1.19

Last three months of diamond exclusive my average was $3.81.  

Assuming everything else stayed the same had I remained exclusive my new average with a 25% drop would have been $2.86  

Dropping from 30% to 17% was a 43% paper decrease in royalties.  But I've actually experienced a decrease of 58% on a per transaction basis.

lisafx

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 14:20 »
As an exclusive at 25% :

Jan - 2.85$
Feb - 3.00$
March - 3.07$

And a comment for lisa: the numbers you posted are very close and it is hardly a steep decline. in order to determine if it is indeed a steep decline you must calculate your average and standard-deviation for a good few months back (lets say 12). if you have no idea what I am talking about I can do the calculations for you :)

Thanks, but I own a calculator ;)

I have calculated my average RPD from the various sites every month for almost 6 years.  I also have a large portfolio and a high sales volume so there is a lot less deviation than you would imagine.  

You are free to take my word for it or not.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 14:22 by lisafx »

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 14:21 »
Interesting data being shared.

Exclusive, with about 20+ V/A files and approx. 100 E+ files:
March so far: $8.12 RPD
February: $7.83 RPD
January: $7.28 RPD

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 14:23 »
Jan 2011 = $.81 RPD
Feb 2011 = $.84 RPD
Mar 2011 = $.88 RPD

Independent

These seem low compared to everyone else.  But I'm doing decent volume, so I guess I can't cry too much.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 14:27 by stockmarketer »

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 14:26 »
As an exclusive at 25% :

Jan - 2.85$
Feb - 3.00$
March - 3.07$

I have calculated my average RPD from the various sites every month for almost 6 years.  I also have a large portfolio and a high sales volume so there is a lot less deviation than you would imagine. 

Didn't mean no dissrespect.  Some people don't even know how to calculate an average. I take your word for it then.

adamkaz: Those numbers are AMAZING! at what percentage are you in ?

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 14:32 »
As an exclusive at 25% :

Jan - 2.85$
Feb - 3.00$
March - 3.07$

I have calculated my average RPD from the various sites every month for almost 6 years.  I also have a large portfolio and a high sales volume so there is a lot less deviation than you would imagine. 

Didn't mean no dissrespect.  Some people don't even know how to calculate an average. I take your word for it then.

adamkaz: Those numbers are AMAZING! at what percentage are you in ?
I am happy with the $/DL, however not so much with declining DLs. Part of it is likely that I was overly aggressive with E+ decisions (I've since reverted a number of E+ files).

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 19:45 »
Jan: $1.09
Feb $1.00
Mar so far: .93 (without EL)
Mar so far: $1.05 (with EL)

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 19:47 »

Believe it, baby :D

Maybe diversifying one's portfolio of microstock agencies will widen, in terms of popularity. Or maybe it won't. Maybe iStock will make changes to its policies that entice people [back] to exclusivity. Or not. I cannot foretell the future, but I do know that I've had my fill of betting exclusively on iStock. Playing the field now makes the most sense (and with luck and hard work, cents) to me, to me. But that's just me. Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint and gambling strategy, herein ;)

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 20:11 »

Believe it, baby :D

It's the Greater Fool Theory, and it is why a few microstock companies and other related companies such as CafePress have become success stories by exploiting crowdsourcing.  These companies know it is a horrible deal for contributors to work with them.  But they also know there will always be a few people out of every 10 who will do anything for another dollar, even if it means the agency is making 5 or 6 dollars for every 1 they make.

Just remember every time you see a 9 cent commission that iStockphoto did not do this to you, You did this to you.  If you accept anything, that's exactly what you will get.

KB

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 20:35 »
I found it a bit interesting that the 3 exclusive contributors who have reported so far have all had increasing $/DL. I guess it's up to me to ruin that trend.  ;D

Jan: $3.02
Feb: $2.47 (worst $/DL since I've become exclusive)
Mar: $2.19 (worser :P )

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 22:07 »
Independent

Jan: $1.44
Feb: $1.36
Mar: $1.12 (so far)

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 01:44 »

It's not a complete fantasy.  Things like this have happened: a business that once had a lock on a market suddenly realizes - too late - that there's a new kid on the block who's eating their lunch.  

The key is having a specific escape plan, a destination with a name, i.e. "have you heard? Everyone's moving to Micro X!"

Agree.

When IS introduced the last paycut just a few months ago, I restarted submitting to nearly all (very) minor microstock sites which I abandoned long ago due to lack of sales. Well, now my total % from those sites -excluding the top and middle tiers - is 2%. Not much, but it was 0% before. And it's going slightly up each month, while IS is going slightly down.

Yes, things can happen. And lightburner is making those things easier.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:47 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58 »
When IS introduced the last paycut just a few months ago, I restarted submitting to nearly all (very) minor microstock sites which I abandoned long ago due to lack of sales. Well, now my total % from those sites -excluding the top and middle tiers - is 2%. Not much, but it was 0% before. And it's going slightly up each month, while IS is going slightly down.

Yes, things can happen. And lightburner is making those things easier.

Agreed; starting to get small sales from minor sites and hoping for the eventual shift of customers to one of these partners

michealo

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24 »
Excl

Dec $5.65
Jan $4.31
Feb $3.53

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 11:37 »
Indie

Dec 1.32
Jan 1.25
Feb 1.01
Mar 0.79

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17 »
Exclusive. The variability in here is largely a result of extended licenses. As I mentioned before, this is plain exclusive stuff (no Vetta, Agency or E+)

Dec  $4.14
Jan  $4.59
Feb  $4.22
Mar  $4.66

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 13:37 »
It's the Greater Fool Theory, and it is why a few microstock companies and other related companies such as CafePress have become success stories by exploiting crowdsourcing.  These companies know it is a horrible deal for contributors to work with them.  But they also know there will always be a few people out of every 10 who will do anything for another dollar, even if it means the agency is making 5 or 6 dollars for every 1 they make.

Just remember every time you see a 9 cent commission that iStockphoto did not do this to you, You did this to you.  If you accept anything, that's exactly what you will get.

So you've shut all your microstock accounts at IS and elsewhere then, I take it?

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 18:42 »
So, can we now officially call Istock the lowest-paying-per-download microstock of them all?  (not talking percentage, just payment per sale)

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 19:06 »
I have heard they have applied for trademark of the name "iSuck" :-\

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2011, 14:59 »

So you've shut all your microstock accounts at IS and elsewhere then, I take it?

I have stopped uploading, except for a trickle here or there.  I'm spinning up my own business and setting my own prices.  If that fails, and I cannot catch on with macro, then I am done.  Yes I put my money where my mouth is, and No I don't take kindly to being ripped off.

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 15:05 »
I found it a bit interesting that the 3 exclusive contributors who have reported so far have all had increasing $/DL. I guess it's up to me to ruin that trend.  ;D

Jan: $3.02
Feb: $2.47 (worst $/DL since I've become exclusive)
Mar: $2.19 (worser :P )

Sorry to see this KB.  I was making around $2.50-$3.00 per DL as an exclusive prior to September.

I don't find it surprising at all that the majority of exclusives posting their RPD show little drop off, or even a rise.  Consider that a lot of exclusives who realized they were going to lose a level (or more) bailed on exclusivity, while the ones who realized they were going to benefit decided to stay.