pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

How has the new Best Match affected your sales?

My sales are up
29 (27.6%)
My sales are down
46 (43.8%)
No change
30 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: How has the new Best Match affected your sales? (3/15/11)  (Read 29345 times)

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« on: March 17, 2011, 23:23 »
Some had to go up, some had to go down. How'r you doing so far?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:00 by PaulieWalnuts »

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 23:53 »
Did they just change it again?

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 00:23 »
I usually get a few DL's per day. This is the first time in the last YEAR that I've gotten zero sales within a 24 hour period during the week.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 00:24 »
my sales this week have been really good. I attributed the sales jump to fraud. I even opened a support ticket just in case. but then found the thread about a best match shift. though whatever has happened seems to be positively affecting my sales this time, in 2008 I was on the very bad end of a best match shift through which I lost 60-70% of my income overnight. I think any best match shift that really shakes things up is scary, even when it works out for you. it's a reminder that a little tweak can really upend the whole search.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 00:33 »
Its too early to tell as IS has been so sporadic and random for the last few months for me.

lagereek

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:31 »
Sigh..........................  Well it will probably change again and again and again until its a total mess, as usual. Certainly wont be in our favor, thats for sure.

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:07 »
Its too early to tell as IS has been so sporadic and random for the last few months for me.
Yeah, its only been a couple days but I've noticed some people saying sales have completely stopped. So it clearly has had an effect already.

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:09 »
Sigh..........................  Well it will probably change again and again and again until its a total mess, as usual. Certainly wont be in our favor, thats for sure.

It has to be in somebody's favor. A best match change can't cause everybody to go down unless IS sales overall go down.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:14 »

It has to be in somebody's favor. A best match change can't cause everybody to go down unless IS sales overall go down.

The fact that JJRD said "After hours of discussions & after looking at every possible angle, the first tweaks of the actual values will be completed today, and pushed at next server sync." surely means that overall sales must be well down. They don't care if 'my' sales or 'your' sales go down, only at the overall figure.
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=314342&page=22#post6117472

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:14 »
They could also really push agency or other content not from MSG members, which would tend to hurt all of us, but possibly help their "sustainability"

lisafx

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 10:02 »
I voted no change.  Sales this week have been *slightly* up over the first couple of weeks of March, but those were unusually slow, so I think sales are just recovering a small bit of the ground lost then. 

jen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 10:10 »
My sales are a bit down, but I am not going to attribute that to the Best Match.  They were down last week too.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29 »
Some of the posts from Admins and Moderators never cease to amaze me. Kelvinjay is now telling everyone almost mockingly to just to calm down and take a valium when there are peoples' livelihoods at stake. Unbelievable.

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=314342&page=24
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:34 by jsmithzz »

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33 »
best match shift is geared towards older files so successful files over 2 years old are showing up in front. newer files are hurt by this new best match which is bad for me since most of my best sellers are less than 2 yrs old but contributors with older libraries wont see a downward shift i think. I think its a good thing for the shelf life of your files but short term wise this sux.

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36 »
I voted 'no change'....
the past couple of weeks my sales really plummeted like i'd never seen before; the past 3-4 days they're almost back to normal, slightly below.
Maybe this shift doesnt affect me much because i havent uploaded anything since september..

lagereek

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39 »
I voted no change.  Sales this week have been *slightly* up over the first couple of weeks of March, but those were unusually slow, so I think sales are just recovering a small bit of the ground lost then. 

Yup!  my sales are up as well, in fact they are slightly better then last year at this time. Im not complaining but these paranoid best match changes can only mean one thing: the agency guys at Getty are complaining and therefore getting preferance.

What we need inside the IS admin, is a negotiator, somebody who dares to stand up, who cant be bullied, somebody with clout and power.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 11:52 »
Too early to say.  Four of my textured background best-sellers have now been spread out in the search, so their overall sales are down.  However, I've recently had sales from older images, including several that haven't sold in over three years.  While the new Best Match has me concerned, I've been more upset over the spate of recent sales under 25 cents.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 11:58 »
To be honest, I've never noticed any of these best match shifts.

ShadySue

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21 »
[double post]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 14:18 by ShadySue »

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 13:03 »
best match shift is geared towards older files so successful files over 2 years old are showing up in front.
Not always. I tried a search where there were only 32 hits, and 5 of mine Ifilm scans from 2007) were the bottom 5. Then had a theory that scans must be at the back, but another search proved that not to be true.
Anyway, I had 1 DL yesterday, 1 so far today. Can't get much worse for me.

Well i guess i should have added in my case then. My earlier successful files from 2008 has been getting downloaded and i search the relevant keywords and they show right up at the front. Since the word "successful" is relative to each individual, I think any file with a 30-1 view to download ratio to be a pretty successful file.

Visibility of new uploads has been steadily declining for months now and i think the reason is that they are slowly showing older successful images more and more.

ShadySue

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 13:34 »
best match shift is geared towards older files so successful files over 2 years old are showing up in front.
Not always. I tried a search where there were only 32 hits, and 5 of mine (film scans from 2007) were the bottom 5. Four of these five files had the highest dls in that search, by a long way.
Then had a theory that scans must be at the back, but another search proved that not to be true.
Anyway, I had 1 DL yesterday, 1 so far today. Can't get much worse for me.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 14:01 »
What we need inside the IS admin, is a negotiator, somebody who dares to stand up, who cant be bullied, somebody with clout and power.

Isn't that supposed to be JJRD? Doesn't he say he's fighting for the contributors all the time?

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 14:17 »
I agree with ShadySue, the new best match seems to favor older files. I voted no change, but am not sure if its impact will be seen later. The first half of March has been a decent month.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 14:17 »
Wednesday and today are like weekends; yesterday was great - if you don't count the fraud subtraction :(

Given how good March usually is, it's particularly disappointing to have all this messing around with search, sort order of results, etc.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 14:41 »
Too early to tell. Yesterday was average and today is a very bad day, but cant tell if it is for the new best match.
I was getting used to great 2011 fridays though so today is disappointing  :-\