pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: GraphXT - new macrostock company with a fresh approach  (Read 27348 times)

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 19:18 »
+1

It is our believe that a diverse but quality collection will work just like if one specializes in a specific segment. We're currently with 3 including myself working on this so that is why we can be there for our photographers and buyers every day.

So, three of you are working 8 hour shifts to provide worldwide customers service during their working hours. Nice, and better than at least one large micro. What is one of you is sick or wants a day off? Are the other two willing to take up the slack? What if all three get e.g. norovirus at the same time?

We have a backup for such events, it's not like we just started yesterday thinking about these issues :-) But a good point anyway !
Not like you started yesterday but you have not a functioning site so you haven't even started tomorrow.  Way to premature for you to be marketing your site in my opinion.

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 20:26 »

It is our believe that a diverse but quality collection will work just like if one specializes in a specific segment. We're currently with 3 including myself working on this so that is why we can be there for our photographers and buyers every day.

So, three of you are working 8 hour shifts to provide worldwide customers service during their working hours. Nice, and better than at least one large micro. What is one of you is sick or wants a day off? Are the other two willing to take up the slack? What if all three get e.g. norovirus at the same time?

We have a backup for such events, it's not like we just started yesterday thinking about these issues :-) But a good point anyway !
Not like you started yesterday but you have not a functioning site so you haven't even started tomorrow.  Way to premature for you to be marketing your site in my opinion.

We're not marketing yet since if we did buyers wouldn't find much to see so no point in wasting resources for marketing. We're only and slowly just reaching out to anyone in the world to join our startup from the beginning. We're not in a huge hurry either as this is longterm thinking, not a fly by night operation. For those who want to be part of the beginning and have the right mindset for longterm thinking they're more than welcome.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 20:29 by graphxt »

Poncke

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45 »

We're not marketing yet since if we did buyers wouldn't find much to see so no point in wasting resources for marketing. We're only and slowly just reaching out to anyone in the world to join our startup from the beginning. We're not in a huge hurry either as this is longterm thinking, not a fly by night operation. For those who want to be part of the beginning and have the right mindset for longterm thinking they're more than welcome.

Honestly, do you expect contributors to commit to a site with no photos and no buyers, and give you exclusive photos? The photos would be dead in the water mate generating no income. Seriously, this is the biggest joke ever.

Hmmm, just checked the date, its not April 1st. Come one, tell us, what gives? What is going to jump out of the cake?

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 09:32 »

Honestly, do you expect contributors to commit to a site with no photos and no buyers, and give you exclusive photos? The photos would be dead in the water mate generating no income. Seriously, this is the biggest joke ever.

Hmmm, just checked the date, its not April 1st. Come one, tell us, what gives? What is going to jump out of the cake?

No worries there as we're non-exclusive. You would invest time in uploading them and we take care of the rest while you continue working with any other macrostock outlet.

Poncke

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45 »
You have no photos, you have no buyers, thats the point. Nobody will submit, you have nothing to show for and nothing to offer.

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 11:47 »
You have no photos, you have no buyers, thats the point. Nobody will submit, you have nothing to show for and nothing to offer.

As i write this several people already signed up and contacted us. People have only their time to lose by uploading to us while we on the other hand have everything to lose as that is the nature of this business specifically.

Patience, longterm strategy and investing are key to this. I'm sure you know many other (online) businesses who also started from scratch with no buyers or where the bets are against them. But that is the very nature of starting something, if it was so easy then we'd probably all be somewhere else instead of discussing this on a forum.

digitalexpressionimages

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52 »
Q: What is your refund policy ? A: You can request a refund within 7 days from purchase and as long as the image was not used.
Please delete the image and all copies when a refund is confirmed by GraphXT. The refund will be made minus any financial fees involved depending on the original payment method.

I found that interesting. What is your strategy to ensure the image isn't being used? 3 people couldn't possibly hope to scour the web and all printed media to spot illegal usage.

I would love to see a "fresh approach" in which the agency looks out for photographers with a no refund policy.

There is no 100 % garantee, even the biggest names in the market are not able to offer a 100 % garantee on these things, that is the truth. On the other side, we stick to the policy and legal agreement which can be enforced if abused by malicious buyers.

Yes I know, that why rights managed doesn't really work when marketed internationally via the web. There is no way to ensure the license isn't being violated even for the big names. Royalty free is the only reasonable approach for web based stock agencies because of that.

The point isn't guaranteeing against licensing violations anyway. The point is the refund policy. Offering money back on an image that has already been downloaded is not a "fresh approach" I won't be involved.

Then our views differ but i respect your opinion. By law in The Netherlands if you buy something "remote" then you are required to offer a 7 day refund. For this type of goods it can ofcourse only be offered if the buyer decided not to use the image. This is something we also carefully investigated with legal to make sure we comply to the law here in NL (EU).

Then the law in the Netherlands should change. It's the 21st century. Refunds are issued when the goods purchased are returned. Here, you can't get the purchased image back. It's nothing but digital information and the buyer can easily copy, copy and recopy the information without losing any of the data. Imagine buying a product, returning to the store and getting a refund but then getting to keep the product. If only it worked that way for cars and expensive jewelery.

The bottom line is, if you can't track or reclaim the image, which is impossible by your own admission, then you should offer no refund UNLESS you give the refund but allow the photographer to keep the commission they've earned. If you take the financial burden of the refund on your own shoulders 100% then I would concede it's an OK policy and a fresh approach. But I can guess who gets hit for the refund.

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 12:07 »
Q: What is your refund policy ? A: You can request a refund within 7 days from purchase and as long as the image was not used.
Please delete the image and all copies when a refund is confirmed by GraphXT. The refund will be made minus any financial fees involved depending on the original payment method.

I found that interesting. What is your strategy to ensure the image isn't being used? 3 people couldn't possibly hope to scour the web and all printed media to spot illegal usage.

I would love to see a "fresh approach" in which the agency looks out for photographers with a no refund policy.

There is no 100 % garantee, even the biggest names in the market are not able to offer a 100 % garantee on these things, that is the truth. On the other side, we stick to the policy and legal agreement which can be enforced if abused by malicious buyers.

Yes I know, that why rights managed doesn't really work when marketed internationally via the web. There is no way to ensure the license isn't being violated even for the big names. Royalty free is the only reasonable approach for web based stock agencies because of that.

The point isn't guaranteeing against licensing violations anyway. The point is the refund policy. Offering money back on an image that has already been downloaded is not a "fresh approach" I won't be involved.

Then our views differ but i respect your opinion. By law in The Netherlands if you buy something "remote" then you are required to offer a 7 day refund. For this type of goods it can ofcourse only be offered if the buyer decided not to use the image. This is something we also carefully investigated with legal to make sure we comply to the law here in NL (EU).

Then the law in the Netherlands should change. It's the 21st century. Refunds are issued when the goods purchased are returned. Here, you can't get the purchased image back. It's nothing but digital information and the buyer can easily copy, copy and recopy the information without losing any of the data. Imagine buying a product, returning to the store and getting a refund but then getting to keep the product. If only it worked that way for cars and expensive jewelery.

The bottom line is, if you can't track or reclaim the image, which is impossible by your own admission, then you should offer no refund UNLESS you give the refund but allow the photographer to keep the commission they've earned. If you take the financial burden of the refund on your own shoulders 100% then I would concede it's an OK policy and a fresh approach. But I can guess who gets hit for the refund.

I agree with you, i wish the laws would be more accommodating when it comes to these type of digital goods. It's an uphill battle for several industries to find a solution against pirating software, media and so on. But so far nothing is able to offer 100 % protection or garantees.
We'll be watching and hoping there will be more protection for artists and entities creating digital goods. All what most people can do is hopefully vote on parties who may change this for the better, but without sacrificing the freedom and rights of the internet and its users.

digitalexpressionimages

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 13:55 »

I agree with you, i wish the laws would be more accommodating when it comes to these type of digital goods. It's an uphill battle for several industries to find a solution against pirating software, media and so on. But so far nothing is able to offer 100 % protection or garantees.
We'll be watching and hoping there will be more protection for artists and entities creating digital goods. All what most people can do is hopefully vote on parties who may change this for the better, but without sacrificing the freedom and rights of the internet and its users.

If you're going to do business under Netherland law, how will you handle international purchases? Will you work in Euros? Will contributors be paid in Euros? How will you handle tax? This is from expatax website:

If you live in the Netherlands, you qualify as a resident taxpayer. If you live abroad and receive income from the Netherlands that is taxable in the Netherlands, you qualify as a non-resident taxpayer. In both cases, you will be subject to Dutch income tax.

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 15:20 »

If you're going to do business under Netherland law, how will you handle international purchases? Will you work in Euros? Will contributors be paid in Euros? How will you handle tax? This is from expatax website:

If you live in the Netherlands, you qualify as a resident taxpayer. If you live abroad and receive income from the Netherlands that is taxable in the Netherlands, you qualify as a non-resident taxpayer. In both cases, you will be subject to Dutch income tax.

It's all taken care of when a buyer or photographer registers he can select his tax status as a person / business / in or outside the EU / business in NL. It's one of the parts we've
worked out with legal to make sure this is done according the law.

PS: It depends also on how much time you spent abroad, in general if you live more than 6 months in a non-NL territory then you pay taxes to the country where you are. Even if you receive income generated from work / business in NL you still pay the taxes to the country where you spend most of your time. On top of that most countries including NL have treaties with other countries so you do not get double taxed for example. But at the end, you know your tax status best and when you fill out the registration details including photog agreement it is legally binding.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 15:24 by graphxt »