MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: People Shoots- passing the stock editors  (Read 4006 times)

tab62

« on: March 29, 2011, 10:51 »
Hi Stock Folks,

Recently, I submitted about 6 photos with my parents in the photos. Only 2 were accepted and the rest rejected due to trade mark or logo issues. I have scan the photos over and over and don't see any logo's or trademarks. But some of the photos show a painting over the fireplace and some family photos which are slightly blurred. You cannot see the artist name on the painting over the fireplace. When shooting people what are things that I must do (prep work)? I don't really want to shoot them in the standard drop cloth but rather in their natural living conditions. So many things to consider...

Thanks.

Tom

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11 »
Paintings are prohibited.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14 »
Recently, I submitted about 6 photos with my parents in the photos. Only 2 were accepted and the rest rejected due to trade mark or logo issues. I have scan the photos over and over and don't see any logo's or trademarks. But some of the photos show a painting over the fireplace and some family photos which are slightly blurred.

http://www.istockphoto.com/help/sell-stock/training-manuals/photography/legal-requirements-art-architecture-performances

RT

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43 »
For paintings or photos that appear as background objects in a shot you've done just draw a clipping path within the frame and drop in an image of your own, then explain that in a message to an inspector/editor (with links to the image in your own portfolio if poss) and all should be fine.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47 »
Hi Stock Folks,

Recently, I submitted about 6 photos with my parents in the photos. Only 2 were accepted and the rest rejected due to trade mark or logo issues. I have scan the photos over and over and don't see any logo's or trademarks. But some of the photos show a painting over the fireplace and some family photos which are slightly blurred. You cannot see the artist name on the painting over the fireplace. When shooting people what are things that I must do (prep work)? I don't really want to shoot them in the standard drop cloth but rather in their natural living conditions. So many things to consider...
Thanks.
Tom
The painting is an issue, unless you can prove that it's old enough to be in the public domain in your country or you can get a release from the artist.
As for the photos, if only slightly blurred, you'd need a model release for everyone in the photos (parents to sign if minors in the image) and a property release from the photographer/s.
Surely the agencies you're submitting to give guidance to contributors on these issues?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 13:07 by ShadySue »

tab62

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59 »
Thank you all. The iStock just educated me. I feel like an idiot now. Much easier to see the not accepted and accepted photos on this subject. The learning curve is steep for at least me...