MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: KTools Popularity Sort  (Read 9927 times)

« on: April 16, 2011, 17:29 »
Has anybody created a customized Popularity sort?  I haven't figured out where the Popularity is being determined, and if it is hard coded within the KTools server.  Just trying to figure out a way to do a sort so that you don't get a "bunching" of similar images uploaded on the same day.  It would be nice to add a random element to the algorithm.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 18:03 »
It looks like it goes by most viewed images. You can see what images have been viewed the most in the manager under stats. I don't think you can change it.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 18:15 »
Thanks Cory. 

The Popularity sort will be customizable in 4.0, but I don't have a clue when that is coming.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 18:26 »
4.0 scares me now. I've made so many changes it would be like starting over. Hopefully, they add some really enticing features to it.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:28 »
I agree.  I've started to make more and more changes too, and I don't relish needing to start over.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:52 »
Yeah, that is the problem with upgrades :)  I first bought the software 4 years ago and made tons of changes to it including a sort I liked better, based on individual keyword performance for each word and image and a credit based purchase system.. then came the announcements that you should really upgrade the software due to a massive security hole..... then I lost hope and just abandoned it.  Now I just started over, it probably makes sense to wait for 4.0 before making any major changes.

I really hope they change the layout in 4.0 :)

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30 »
Did you catch this thread?

http://www.ktools.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5702

The layout for the new template being introduced in 3.9 looks much more modern than the current one.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39 »

The layout for the new template being introduced in 3.9 looks much more modern than the current one.

I like that you can move the html pages to say Dreamweaver and change them to templates. That way, make changes on one page and it updates the whole site. No more dealing with php pages. That it a welcome change, for sure.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01 »
Are you trying to change the search results to order by views? That's not in the manager, but it is a simple code change.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 13:11 »

I like that you can move the html pages to say Dreamweaver and change them to templates. That way, make changes on one page and it updates the whole site. No more dealing with php pages. That it a welcome change, for sure.

Can you do that now?  or will that be in a future release?  I may have to fork over the cash for Dreamweaver once and for all. 

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 14:53 »
That's a lot nicer layout. Putting the search and the login at the top... Where have I seen that before?   ;)  It's funny because I had to delete that stupid search bar from about every page to put it in the header.

Leaf, I don't think there is much special about Dreamweaver, although if you buy the Adobe Suite, it's nice to have it thrown in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 14:56 by cthoman »

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 15:11 »

Can you do that now?  or will that be in a future release?  I may have to fork over the cash for Dreamweaver once and for all. 

According to the link that Dan posted, they are implementing the ability to create a template from an html page in version 4. They are calling them smarty templates. AFAIK, presently the php pages open in Dreamweaver and the code can be changed, but in order to see the page in its design form, one must install MAMP or WAMP for PC (local server) to view the php pages. I haven't been too successful at getting that to work properly.  :(

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 15:13 »
Ok thanks, cclapper

I still haven't seen the new layout because I can't register at their forum :(  I have sent them an email but no response (yet)

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 15:40 »
Ok thanks, cclapper

I still haven't seen the new layout because I can't register at their forum :(  I have sent them an email but no response (yet)

Yeah, I think I had that problem at first, too.

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 20:32 »
Are you trying to change the search results to order by views? That's not in the manager, but it is a simple code change.

Not necessarily.  Just trying to gain some control over what Popularity is.  I might want to place a weight on Sales and another on Views, and create a custom Popularity sort.  I just don't know which file this is happening in, or if it hard coded by Ktools.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46 »
See if this works: http://www.ktools.net/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=718

and http://www.ktools.net/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=719

thanks, but it still didn't work

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41 »

Not necessarily.  Just trying to gain some control over what Popularity is.  I might want to place a weight on Sales and another on Views, and create a custom Popularity sort.  I just don't know which file this is happening in, or if it hard coded by Ktools.

Ah - the sort order is controlled by just one variable, and it can be changed, but it's still one dimensional. There's no easy way to create a weighted matrix of factors. (until v4)

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 18:25 »
Perhaps this will work...