pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Microstock Monitor will no longer be available :-(  (Read 20228 times)

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22 »
unfortunately, their 'warning' thread is locked - otherwise i would post.
I saw that too.  I had a look and no one else has posted a new thread.

If security is there concern, are they also going to advise that people to have no trojans on their computer and not to use internet cafes incase they are key tracking.

Re the "real reason" SS has always been the most liberal to the extent you can discuss other sites in the forum as long as you only use intials.  Maybe something is about to change, other than the fact their servers seem to have been infected by a swarm of bugs.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 07:29 »
yes i think things are changing

for a long time you could post a link to microstockgroup.com or the 'other' chat forums.  If you try do that now, the text will be replaced with 'please do not post links to other microstock sites'

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05 »
Does this mean that those of us who are already using this software, Microstock Moniter, that we should stop using it? It still updates for me. Should I disable it and unistall it?

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 10:06 »
Hi there,

Microstock Monitor works like any regular Web Browser. There is no difference to be seen on the server side.

All the best,
Michael

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 10:09 »
Can somebody post the address for the locked SS forum thread on this?  Thanks.

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 15:49 »
My understanding is that the program only stored passwords locally and it never transmitted information to any "home base".  And if he were planning to do that in the future, then why would he use his real name and give links to all of his stock accounts?

That's correct.

And yes, all other software will also be affected by this, including the Firefox plugin. He made it very clear that they do not want to have their user's passwords placed in applications other than their website or software which they wrote themself.

They also just posted a general warning w.r.t. this in their forums.

All the best,
Michael

What total BS.  Didn't IE even used to offer to cache and auto fill in userIDs and passwords, some form of auto-complete thing?  I can see that they, as a company, could institute a policy that their users aren't allowed to enter the passwords/userids into a 3rd party app.  And that if they do their accounts may be suspended.  But what legal grounds can they say you're not allowed to create software that stores users passwords and userIDs?  I think there are even 3rd party tools that do this for all sites (not specific to Microstock).  I FTP to various sites (not specific to Microstock), and I have my users/passwords stored in my FTP tool.  That's somehow illegal?

If they're exposing the APIs that let you connect and retrieve the data, how can they balk?  I don't understand.

Regardless, of course it's not worth fighting for you, but it will be interesting to see if this gets challenged by somebody somewhere down the line.