pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iphone app shows downloads but istock website does not?  (Read 14871 times)

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 14:31 »
I just sent out the email to 21Torr and asked for some clarification on this.  Before that, I did a little more research and I think it may be a bug in their iPhone app.  It's a little complicated to type up so I'm going to wait and see if I'm correct in my analysis that I sent to them then I'll report back here and let you all know.  :) 

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 15:03 »
I'm not sure if this is related, but I noticed over the weekend some issues on the website related to earnings.  My earnings kept going up, but the photos weren't showing up on the last downloaded page.  Still not sure where the money was coming from.

Yes. I've had the same experience over the weekend. It's particularly noticeable immediately after cashing out. The Account Balance jumps up by a few $'s but then there aren't new sales of that value to explain it.

FYI, You may want to check your "Partner" preferences...that's what I received this week-end and they don't show up in your "last download" page. They're paid at .28 cents each....and appear about this time of the each month.

RacePhoto

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 21:15 »
I'll make this really simple. Where do you think the App gets it's data to report to us?

Why of course, they get it from iStock! So how can the app be finding missing downloads that aren't reported when the source is...

if it shows that I have more downloads that istock is not recording then that is a big deal.

Or maybe not? ;)

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 21:43 »
I think the same thing. You can't get a decent accounting of any of your downloads even just on the istock site, let alone having that data go through yet one more app. If I had to guess where the problem lies, I would think it's istock's reporting process, since they seem to have big problems with that, for months now.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47 »
I'm not sure if this is related, but I noticed over the weekend some issues on the website related to earnings.  My earnings kept going up, but the photos weren't showing up on the last downloaded page.  Still not sure where the money was coming from.

Yes. I've had the same experience over the weekend. It's particularly noticeable immediately after cashing out. The Account Balance jumps up by a few $'s but then there aren't new sales of that value to explain it.

FYI, You may want to check your "Partner" preferences...that's what I received this week-end and they don't show up in your "last download" page. They're paid at .28 cents each....and appear about this time of the each month.

The increase wasn't from partner sales...mine had already been added for the entire month prior to the weekend.  That's why I noticed it.  There's always the possibility, I guess, that they missed a few and added them one at a time on separate occasions during the weekend, but that seems unlikely.

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 07:50 »

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07 »
yep, if you've seen the thread at istock, that was the culprit -- a bug in the app.

here is a snip of what I reported to them:

The image which shows as downloaded (by the app) just after the missing 5 downloads is this one http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=14987208 (which would be listed in the "Last Downloads" just before the 5 missing photos/downloads show up on that page). 
As I continued to try to figure out the issue I noticed that if you go to the file closeup page for the recorded download http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=14987208  and you look in my description area on that page you'll see 5 additional thumbnails that link to related photos from this series.  These just happen to be the 5 other files that are showing up as downloaded by your iPhone app but not being reported as downloaded by iStockphoto.   Is this a bug I've discovered in the iPhone app as misreporting downloads that didn't really happen?

---

as reported by the developer, it is indeed an bug and I checked this morning and those files that showed as downloaded are now gone and it is reporting properly. 

bummer that I didn't actually get downloads, of course, but glad to see the bug squashed and the issued resolved.  :)

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 09:14 »

The increase wasn't from partner sales...mine had already been added for the entire month prior to the weekend.  That's why I noticed it.  There's always the possibility, I guess, that they missed a few and added them one at a time on separate occasions during the weekend, but that seems unlikely.

Unlikely as it may seem, I received some on Friday and most on Saturday...

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 00:21 »
yep, if you've seen the thread at istock, that was the culprit -- a bug in the app.

here is a snip of what I reported to them:

The image which shows as downloaded (by the app) just after the missing 5 downloads is this one http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=14987208 (which would be listed in the "Last Downloads" just before the 5 missing photos/downloads show up on that page). 
As I continued to try to figure out the issue I noticed that if you go to the file closeup page for the recorded download http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=14987208  and you look in my description area on that page you'll see 5 additional thumbnails that link to related photos from this series.  These just happen to be the 5 other files that are showing up as downloaded by your iPhone app but not being reported as downloaded by iStockphoto.   Is this a bug I've discovered in the iPhone app as misreporting downloads that didn't really happen?

---

as reported by the developer, it is indeed an bug and I checked this morning and those files that showed as downloaded are now gone and it is reporting properly. 

bummer that I didn't actually get downloads, of course, but glad to see the bug squashed and the issued resolved.  :)

Thanks for the update

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 21:17 »
I have the picworkflow bar on my browser, it shows about five more dollars in my IS account that IS shows, this just started about 48 hrs ago, IS has never shown the new sales.  Not worth all the headaches to try to track down the missing $5 in sales.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 21:26 »
I have the picworkflow bar on my browser, it shows about five more dollars in my IS account that IS shows, this just started about 48 hrs ago, IS has never shown the new sales.  Not worth all the headaches to try to track down the missing $5 in sales.

Is it $5 exactly?  Could be a referral fee.  Did you check that?