MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Istockphoto Best Match Tweak 5/27/11  (Read 28235 times)

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 16:30 »
My sales are lost somewhere in a galaxy, far, far away....

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 16:37 »
how are everyone's sales today? my sales are almost non-existent. like a Saturday today. not sure what's up. but they're so bad that I figure something weird happened today.

Not so great this week and today, even less so, relatively speaking.

mine were the same last week. then they picked up to normal again, but today--worse day in years. old files. very strange.

My sales seem to be following the pattern you're talking about. Yesterday was good, today looks pretty bad, but not at weekend levels...

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 16:39 »
how are everyone's sales today? my sales are almost non-existent. like a Saturday today. not sure what's up. but they're so bad that I figure something weird happened today.

Not so great this week and today, even less so, relatively speaking.

mine were the same last week. then they picked up to normal again, but today--worse day in years. old files. very strange.

My sales seem to be following the pattern you're talking about. Yesterday was good, today looks pretty bad, but not at weekend levels...

I'm probably exaggerating by saying mine are at Saturday level today--but it feels that way ;)

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 17:18 »
Having a really lousy day today. One sale just after midnight, iStock time and nothing since.
Mind you, I had only 2 XSm sales on Monday.

I haven't had a sale since June 3. This is the longest stretch of no sales since I started at iStock.

Wonder if it has anything to do with all the files I dumped into the non-exclusive perk program.

lisafx

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 18:17 »
Sales are pretty slow for me today too.  But then they have been for the last couple of weeks. 

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 18:23 »
Having a really lousy day today. One sale just after midnight, iStock time and nothing since.
Mind you, I had only 2 XSm sales on Monday.

I haven't had a sale since June 3. This is the longest stretch of no sales since I started at iStock.

Wonder if it has anything to do with all the files I dumped into the non-exclusive perk program.

I dumped nearly 300 files into the P+ program over the weekend. It may be that the negative effects of this show up more as time goes by, but I don't see anything drastic so far.

Things have been good today compared to the snail's pace since the last best match lurch - so no barn burner, but not one of those days where I wonder if the world has a day off :)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 18:31 »
obviously the P+ doesn't apply for exclusives. but something is rotten in Denmark because my sales today are absolutely brutal.

lagereek

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 23:23 »
Hi Stacey!

I would say reasonably good, I can bare it but thats it.

BTW. Is that a pic of you, on IS, I mean?

mine are anything but reasonably good. yes, the profile shot is a self-portrait I took last year.

Lovely self-portrait!  and toning.

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2011, 05:26 »
I just noticed a small best match change. My at once very popular images advanced a little bit on the best match search result. On "penguins" where I have by far the most sold images I now have 4 images amongst the top 200 search results by best match. a week ago I had only 2. It is still very disappointing, but a a slightly little tiny positive change.

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23 »
Just to illustrate how bad the best match search is now. I have an image at IS, a polar bear image with has over 2700 Dls. If you search for Polar bear ist comes in the results a little bit behind 800 other images!! There are images in front of that image which have 0 Downloads - Vetta - exclusive and even non exclusive images. Why is it that IS puts highly sellable and proven images so far behind in the search??

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2011, 10:16 »
though my dl numbers came back up yesterday--the files selling are mostly older files. I agree the best match is still really weird. my test searches show strange results. sales may be sales, but I'm always worried about my new files being automatically disadvantaged if they happen to enter the database during a weird best match tweak.

lagereek

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36 »
Whats weird is that in many searches, the Vettas promoted on first pages looks like either neewbie stuff or just down out middle of the road stuff. One would have thought in order to show variety and keep the buyers interested, they would have at least made sure the selection of Vettas would be among the better ones.

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01 »
Whats weird is that in many searches, the Vettas promoted on first pages looks like either neewbie stuff or just down out middle of the road stuff. One would have thought in order to show variety and keep the buyers interested, they would have at least made sure the selection of Vettas would be among the better ones.

if it's vetta, it must be good.  at least I'm sure that's what the computer sees.  I dont think there's a flag in the system for "better vetta" or "middle of the road vetta."  :)

lagereek

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2011, 13:33 »

if it's vetta, it must be good.  at least I'm sure that's what the computer sees.  I dont think there's a flag in the system for "better vetta" or "middle of the road vetta."  :)

You are joking, arent you??  Vetta and it must be good? and who decides that? some inspector who himself is exclusive ?  Normally the Vettas are in fact good or shall I say above average. Im also seeing a hell of a lot of generics, with extremely low DLs, looking at the same shot, weeks later and still, no more dls.

Thats my whole point!  its not enough with a shot beeing just good or great, its got to be cdommercial, selling-power or else its dustbin material.

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2011, 13:39 »

You are joking, arent you??  Vetta and it must be good? and who decides that? some inspector who himself is exclusive ?  Normally the Vettas are in fact good or shall I say above average. Im also seeing a hell of a lot of generics, with extremely low DLs, looking at the same shot, weeks later and still, no more dls.

Thats my whole point!  its not enough with a shot beeing just good or great, its got to be cdommercial, selling-power or else its dustbin material.

of course I was being a bit sarcastic, but if the Vetta program worked like it was supposed to work with the really, truly great stuff being added to Vetta and only the really good, artistic stuff (as Vetta claims to be) then it shouldn't be a problem.  but sadly it is too subjective by the reviewers. 

you're exactly right on all the 'generics' that show in Vetta. I totally agree with you. 

lagereek

« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2011, 15:21 »

of course I was being a bit sarcastic, but if the Vetta program worked like it was supposed to work with the really, truly great stuff being added to Vetta and only the really good, artistic stuff (as Vetta claims to be) then it shouldn't be a problem.  but sadly it is too subjective by the reviewers. 

you're exactly right on all the 'generics' that show in Vetta. I totally agree with you. 

Glad youre agreeing!  youre right, if the Vettas worked the way it should to work, it would in fact be a good thing. Yeah its weird really all this generic stuff, beats me?

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2011, 15:33 »

I read this as the 'betta vettas'.... :D made me laugh. it's been a rough day.

Slovenian

« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2011, 15:37 »
Good, I'm not the only one wondering how some of the cr@ppy photos were accepted as Vetta. In fact the greater part of the photos in the collection. Of course some really are unique and awesome, but those account for approximately 20%.

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2011, 07:25 »
I have noticed a slight shake Friday morning that has pushed forward in search, new images and editorial (those of the main collection not those of edstock collection)

however not seems so for some new vetta , that are very back in the search

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 18:52 »
Good, I'm not the only one wondering how some of the cr@ppy photos were accepted as Vetta. In fact the greater part of the photos in the collection. Of course some really are unique and awesome, but those account for approximately 20%.

I'd have to concur with your view of Vetta. When I had to do a project for the day job recently that involved hours and hours on iStock to source images, it was truly appalling some of what is selling as Vetta.

What's really too bad is that folks like JJ can't take constructive criticism like this to heart and use it to improve the review system and overall quality of such a high-price product. Vetta being his or others' "baby" really holds the collection back from being the best that it could (or should) be. And makes it a real turn off to many contributors and buyers alike. I know that in the beginning, before it even launched, when I tried to question the quality I was thanklessly ripped a new one. And, what a shocker, quality has turned out to be an issue. Clearly. Look at all the random crap they've collected and deemed the best of the artistic best (Vetta).

Give me a break.

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 19:37 »
I absolutely dissent. While not very stockish, photos in the Vetta collection go to excellent to very good, with, yes, some extravaganzas or flawed files now and then. But not much. I have a friend who is a designer in a publishing house and she always tells me that this collection is great for book covers, to the point that she often excludes regular colecctions when searching and, actually, she has used several for her editor's books. I see more flaws at the Agency collection, a number of run of the mill files labelled in blue and coming from "outer space".

lagereek

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2011, 00:36 »
I absolutely dissent. While not very stockish, photos in the Vetta collection go to excellent to very good, with, yes, some extravaganzas or flawed files now and then. But not much. I have a friend who is a designer in a publishing house and she always tells me that this collection is great for book covers, to the point that she often excludes regular colecctions when searching and, actually, she has used several for her editor's books. I see more flaws at the Agency collection, a number of run of the mill files labelled in blue and coming from "outer space".

Yes but thats not the issue,  ofcourse there are plenty of good imagery among Vettas but at the moment thay are burried deep down the best match and instead they seam to flaunt newbie and generic Vettas, many of which shouldnt even have past the inspection.

I have kept a close eye on some 20 Vetta files, on page one in a big search, now these files have hardly any dls and for the past 10 days they have together, sold a lousy six times !  makes one wonder why they are there in the first place???
Silly me!!  I thought commerce came in first place.