pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Istockphoto Best Match Tweak 5/27/11  (Read 28233 times)

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 06:56 »
mine hasn't changed, best match for me is pretty much the more downloads the further back it is, no or low downloads p1-3, flames start about 8+

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00 »
Im not surprised, a little bird sang into my ear this would happen. Ofcourse theyre making more money on Vettas/agency files, theyre a lot more expensive for starters, logic isnt it.
Only if enough buyers choose to buy them.
Maybe the ones who complain on the forums about V/A priority must be a tiny minority.

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24 »
An angry directive must have come from higher up to put things back the way they were and go back to pushing the expensive stuff on the buyers.

lagereek

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36 »
Im not surprised, a little bird sang into my ear this would happen. Ofcourse theyre making more money on Vettas/agency files, theyre a lot more expensive for starters, logic isnt it.
Only if enough buyers choose to buy them.
Maybe the ones who complain on the forums about V/A priority must be a tiny minority.

Take my word for it, The Vetta/agency outdo the rest, anytime. Why do you think its changed back? for the fun of it. Well, if by some strange reason they dont and they are still changing it back, then were in the hands of a charity organization.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:40 by lagereek »

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56 »
And there was me looking at it yesterday and thinking some sanity had returned!
I wondered why the DLs had suddenly stopped today.
Curse. Swear. Expletive!
I seriously wonder how much longer exclusivity will be for me if they're going to rig the pack in this way.

lagereek

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 10:06 »
No chance!

In the searches that concerns me, theres one blue flame on the whole first page, my own, apart from that the entire page is Vetta files with hardly any DLs at all, small sizes, really crummy generic stuff shot from outside, real neewbie stuff. No disrespect but any buyer on that search will just move on, especially after seeing all the junk.

I dont mind taking second place after say Bill Rivelli of Image-Bank, but this?  I mean, last thing they can do is at least make searches reasonably attractive. Who . is gonna pay Vetta prices for amateur compositions, etc.
Having said that and come to think about it, IS, doesnt seem to house too clever buyers either nowdays.

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11 »
Take my word for it, The Vetta/agency outdo the rest, anytime.

Who . is gonna pay Vetta prices for amateur compositions, etc.

LOL. Can you make up your mind? One minute it's "iStock is making bank on Vetta/Agency" the next, it's "who is going to even buy it".

lagereek

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15 »
Take my word for it, The Vetta/agency outdo the rest, anytime.

Who . is gonna pay Vetta prices for amateur compositions, etc.

LOL. Can you make up your mind? One minute it's "iStock is making bank on Vetta/Agency" the next, it's "who is going to even buy it".

Yes they are!  nothing to do with my mind, they are making fortunes on Vettas in the fields of Lifestyles, etc. Thats where even a neewbie with a Kodak Instamatic can score. My field is a little too intricate for them people. They cant gain access.

Purposely I monitored the DLs, on these images and now 5 days later, the total amount of DLs are 8, and that on a full first page, my own was DLd 12 times. How about that. Good business hey??????????????

As I said, dont mind at all to play second fiddle to good commercial stuff, its interesting to the onlooker, the buyer and then they will buy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:22 by lagereek »

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 10:38 »
I have to say that I hope sales this week reflect the holiday in the US and not the new best match. this week my sales are at 60% of what they are normally and last summer was pretty good so I don't think it's suddenly summer slowdown. I certainly hope this isn't the latest greatest best match trend for me.

lagereek

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 10:46 »
I have to say that I hope sales this week reflect the holiday in the US and not the new best match. this week my sales are at 60% of what they are normally and last summer was pretty good so I don't think it's suddenly summer slowdown. I certainly hope this isn't the latest greatest best match trend for me.

Cant say the same I have had 5 very good days indeed, dozens of P+. etc. It was a pretty silly move though to do a best match change comparing it to Vetta sales over a holliday weekend. Doesnt give a fair and true picture at all.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47 »
Seems like whoever wanted to prove the 'push V/A' strategy was best pulled a flanker by testing a more general mix over a US/UK holiday, so of course sales would be down.
You can always find ways to 'rig' an experiment.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07 »

Cant say the same I have had 5 very good days indeed, dozens of P+. etc. It was a pretty silly move though to do a best match change comparing it to Vetta sales over a holliday weekend. Doesnt give a fair and true picture at all.

well, I can't compare to your experience as you're independent and I'm exclusive. but I have a good amount of files in E+, some Vetta and a few Agency. my sales have been old files, strange files. none of the usual suspects and hardly any new files. so personally I hope this is not the new best match.

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2011, 11:24 »
Here's an update on the chart I've been keeping of various search terms and what is "regular" - i.e. not Vetta/Agency - in the first 200 photos searched by best match.

Sales today have been like a weekend...

traveler1116

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2011, 11:34 »
I just hope they tweak it that way, that the fresh material will come in front and even better if the emphasis was on the last 12 months :) . Surely most buyers want to get fresh stuff, otherwise they can just search it by DLs
If they want fresh stuff, they can sort by age.

Yep, best match should be based largely on stuff that sells with a slight bump to exclusive, and another slight bump to ex+, agency, and vetta.  I don't think regular exclusive or nonexclusive files should be pushed all the way to the back.

Slovenian

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2011, 12:40 »
I just hope they tweak it that way, that the fresh material will come in front and even better if the emphasis was on the last 12 months :) . Surely most buyers want to get fresh stuff, otherwise they can just search it by DLs
If they want fresh stuff, they can sort by age.

Yep, best match should be based largely on stuff that sells with a slight bump to exclusive, and another slight bump to ex+, agency, and vetta.  I don't think regular exclusive or nonexclusive files should be pushed all the way to the back.
And P+ ;)

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2011, 15:15 »
The best match seems to be back as March 26 .... cheers !

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2011, 15:18 »
So they must have been making more with Vetta?Agency at the top after all.
Who would have guessed?
Sh*t for the rest of us though. Best get on with Plan B - apart from the original ingestion, I don't have any other Vetta files.

No way they could get reliable data about that over a holiday weekend.

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 15:37 »
Actually, during these days I've been selling daily more or less the same quantity of Vetta and Agency I used to sell before. New files sales have decreased, and old sucess files have resurrected, many of them coming back to the dynamics of several downloads a day.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 16:45 by loop »

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2011, 15:33 »
how are everyone's sales today? my sales are almost non-existent. like a Saturday today. not sure what's up. but they're so bad that I figure something weird happened today.

lagereek

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2011, 15:36 »
Hi Stacey!

I would say reasonably good, I can bare it but thats it.

BTW. Is that a pic of you, on IS, I mean?

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 15:51 »
how are everyone's sales today? my sales are almost non-existent. like a Saturday today. not sure what's up. but they're so bad that I figure something weird happened today.

Not so great this week and today, even less so, relatively speaking.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2011, 15:54 »
Hi Stacey!

I would say reasonably good, I can bare it but thats it.

BTW. Is that a pic of you, on IS, I mean?

mine are anything but reasonably good. yes, the profile shot is a self-portrait I took last year.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2011, 15:56 »

Not so great this week and today, even less so, relatively speaking.

mine were the same last week. then they picked up to normal again, but today--worse day in years. old files. very strange.

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2011, 16:05 »
Yes, today is quite slow.

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 16:25 »
very slow week at iStock.  Dreamstime and SS are doing well though.