pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: DT, is flagging images!!  (Read 22011 times)

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18 »
I had a picture flagged a few months ago for the word "paper" in a picture of a letter

They say: "If the flag is irrelevant or accidental, please ignore or reply politely" and when the "offending" word is absolutely acceptable, it's easier to ignore than reply politely

WarrenPrice

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 11:56 »
I think we all agree that spamming is annoying.  I'm just not so sure that we all agree on what spamming is.  The Dreamstime program gets controversial because it is a bit like "Iron Curtain" days, pitting neighbor against neighbor.  Conflict is inevitable.  An agency keeping such a large portion of the revenue should certainly take responsibility for reviewing submissions;  keywords is a part of reviewing.  It is the agencies job. 

red

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:11 »
Yes, reviewers should check keywords when the image is uploaded. However, they also provide the option to the contributor of going in at any time and adding/changing keywords. I guess they don't have the time to review every resubmission of keywords because the originally checked keywords were fine. It's all well and good to send a note to a photog if a bad keyword is found but buyers won't take the time to do that, they will simply hit the flag button (if they even take the time to do that much).

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 13:27 »
"I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because
we have thumbs so we can make coffee."  Flash Rosenberg

Love your quote, cuppacoffee!  :D

helix7

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 19:17 »
100% of the keyword flags I've gotten at DT have been ridiculous. Things like "world" being flagged for a vector image of (you guessed it) the world.

I'm fine with getting some constructive criticism of my keywording if it's appropriate, but so far I have yet to see any valid flags come through at DT.

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 20:34 »
I only remember of one flagging in my images, and it was one case of a combined word in which one of the words did not make sense in separate. I have reported bad keywords in a few occasions, keywords that were obviously spam, not just questionable. I also tried to suggest new keywords to them.

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 18:02 »
I have about 3 flagged images out of my portfolio of 1000.  It really annoys me that someone would do this to a fellow photography for the gratification of .02.   I think differently about those people!!

red

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 18:42 »
Are you sure it is a fellow photographer? Could it be a buyer hitting the "report this image" button? Anyone can flag, not only contributors. Do you really think someone would do that for .02 cents? Hitting that button is fast and easy and doesn't require sending a message, which takes time. If the reporter is registered they are automatically awarded the .02 cents, they have no say in if they want it or not and probably don't even know that they are getting a monetary amount as it is not common knowledge unless you read the forums on a regular basis. If the report is bogus, just leave a message, it is reviewed before any changes are made. Not a big deal.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 21:22 »
Are you sure it is a fellow photographer? Could it be a buyer hitting the "report this image" button? Anyone can flag, not only contributors. Do you really think someone would do that for .02 cents? Hitting that button is fast and easy and doesn't require sending a message, which takes time. If the reporter is registered they are automatically awarded the .02 cents, they have no say in if they want it or not and probably don't even know that they are getting a monetary amount as it is not common knowledge unless you read the forums on a regular basis. If the report is bogus, just leave a message, it is reviewed before any changes are made. Not a big deal.

Yea they are Dreamstime photographers.   I looked at each of their portfolios.  I know keywords abuse is a little rampant and must be a pain for customers.  I use Acur's keyword page using the top selling shutterstock images.  For similar images I always have to remove 10-20 keywords that have very little to with the image.   But it just rubs me the wrong way for a fellow microstocker to force me to go back to the image to pull a keyword or two so that I can keep my image on Dreamstime.  It makes me want to inspect all of their images to see if I can find some bad keywords....maybe start a keyword war!!!!

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 03:35 »

Yea they are Dreamstime photographers.   I looked at each of their portfolios.  [/quote][/i]

Many buyers are also photographers - like me - in fact I buy up to hundreds of images a month yet also have a portfolio of nearly 600 images. What i will tell you is how annoying it is as a buyer to have to wade through images that have been carelessly keyworded - it wastes my time and that simply is neither fair nor good business.

I have no idea why people get so upset about having their images flagged - it does not effect you one iota unless you are actuallly spamming - so what are you complaining about? So somebody flags your image - so what - explain to me why it matters?

rinderart

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 14:08 »
That's been going on for a while and like someone said is up and down. Everyone that I have got was wrong, I ignored it, and there was zero impact. Waste of time.

Correct.

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 16:14 »
The issue is complicated keywords. First I think there are a lot of spam. But if the reviewers of the banks themselves sometimes contradict, what criteria will be an outsider?

I think the DT system is a mistake because encourages clowns who want to lose time. Banks have a consistency (ok, more or less), and photographer, is another.
An example. If someone searches for Salvador Dali, is an overview of the village of Cadaqus, where he lived all his life. The town was very important to him. I think we should leave that image in Dal. If someone wants to do a story about the painter, will have to appear Cadaqus. This can not know one person who does not know the artist or the people. It is the responsibility of the photographer and the image bank. No one else.
But that does not make sense is that someone complained that the picture below, have bad keywords beach and nobody.
I think the DT system is wrong and a waste of time.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 18:19 »

Yea they are Dreamstime photographers.   I looked at each of their portfolios.  I know keywords abuse is a little rampant and must be a pain for customers.  I use Acur's keyword page using the top selling shutterstock images.  For similar images I always have to remove 10-20 keywords that have very little to with the image.   But it just rubs me the wrong way for a fellow microstocker to force me to go back to the image to pull a keyword or two so that I can keep my image on Dreamstime.  It makes me want to inspect all of their images to see if I can find some bad keywords....maybe start a keyword war!!!!

Not all are photographers.  The last two flags I got (which are totally dumb ass flags) the flagger had no port.  I wonder of they get paid if no change is relevant.  As for being polite when you respond to unfounded flags, fk em.  They weren't polite when they intentionally flagged my images.  I mean, "pen" for a pen?  I say to this person (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info) and this loser (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info).  Give me a * break.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 19:56 »
Not all are photographers.  The last two flags I got (which are totally dumb ass flags) the flagger had no port.  I wonder of they get paid if no change is relevant.  As for being polite when you respond to unfounded flags, fk em.  They weren't polite when they intentionally flagged my images.  I mean, "pen" for a pen?  I say to this person (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info) and this loser (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info).  Give me a  break.

But why are you so threatened by it? Is it that someone dares to question you? If the flagger is abusing the system then Dreamstime revokes their ability to flag images - if they are right in their flags - which are reviewed by editors - then they are providing a service that makes D-time a better place for buyers. So why are you so hostile when there is no impact on you unless you are spamming? Honestly I do not understand why people take this so personally and why it creates such hostility.  

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 14:23 »
I got flagged a few times.  They flagged old images from the times I just started keywording and I have to admit they were absolutely right to flag them!  I think I removed more than 40% of the keywords while cleaning up.

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 17:50 »
Not all are photographers.  The last two flags I got (which are totally dumb ass flags) the flagger had no port.  I wonder of they get paid if no change is relevant.  As for being polite when you respond to unfounded flags, fk em.  They weren't polite when they intentionally flagged my images.  I mean, "pen" for a pen?  I say to this person (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info) and this loser (http://www.dreamstime.com/bobby0315_info).  Give me a  break.

But why are you so threatened by it? Is it that someone dares to question you? If the flagger is abusing the system then Dreamstime revokes their ability to flag images - if they are right in their flags - which are reviewed by editors - then they are providing a service that makes D-time a better place for buyers. So why are you so hostile when there is no impact on you unless you are spamming? Honestly I do not understand why people take this so personally and why it creates such hostility.  

You don't see to get it.  I am not threatened by it at all.  When they flag relevant keywords as irrelevant it wastes my time and theirs.  The flagger is factually abusing the DT system in most cases, and I am asked to respond to that person politely when they are blatantly flagging good keywords.  The tone of your response is that I am the one who should be grateful.  Wrong.

RacePhoto

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 20:29 »

Does anyone get anything for flagging images? I've never seen any payments and the flags seem to be ignored by DT. Maybe they should just turn it off.

Here's another way that it can be a problem. Say someone is upset because they are spamming their keywords and they don't like the system, They go and send phoney flags all over the place to screw up the system, so it will be shut off.

All kinds of problems. I'd say, DT and everyone else should have some sort of periodic review or a person who randomly looks once a week for abuse, and when they find it. Send out a real and personal warning. If it happens again or isn't addressed, then restrict the account, if that doesn't work, remove the artist. A rule with some teeth, not just looking the other way. But the turn in a "friend" plan is dumb and I don't know anyone who got 2 cents for it?

red

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 23:29 »
There is a backlog of flagged images that need to be reviewed by their admin team. They've put this at the end of their "to do" list but reports are being reviewed and yes, people do get the 2 cents if the report is valid. Also, anyone can report a contributor for many bad keywords on all of their images with a simple email to support and they will get back to them after reviewing the bad portfolio. If it is a problem of someone just not being familiar with english they give the contributor a chance to review their own keywords but put their portfolio on hold as they do that. Contributors do get suspended if there is rampant abuse and they don't make an effort to fix their mistakes.

You can't screw up the system because all bad keyword reports go into a queue and phony reports are spotted right away by the keyword reviewers (they have special admins assigned just to review keywords and more staff has recently been added). Those phony reports get the person who is making those reports suspended along with a "real and personal" warning. I am not aware of any "turn in a friend" plan as there are safeguards in place for every bad keyword report and people who might be doing it out of spite are spotted quickly. Any method of cleaning up lousy keywords is a good idea in my opinion and this system is better than most.

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44 »

Does anyone get anything for flagging images?

Yea, if you don't do anything about the flag and it reaches the DT review team and they find that your keyword is indeed wrong, the flagger gets .02 cents.  And your image gets locked from you doing any further editing on it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:50 by Mantis »

eggshell

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 08:27 »

Yea, if you don't do anything about the flag and it reaches the DT review team and they find that your keyword is indeed wrong, the flagger gets .02 cents.

... and the contributor can no longer edit the keywords for the flagged image .

WarrenPrice

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 13:47 »
‎"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech at the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

RacePhoto

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 14:20 »
Thanks all three for the information. I know I had some files locked for bad keywords and for anyone who knows my view, less is more, I only have commons words of things that are obviously the center of the image subject. I mean eight words or maybe ten? The whole program is kind of stupid.

The reason I mentioned the 2 cents, which is less than exciting as well, is I hit some images, while searching for some of mine, which the keywords included, didn't exist at all. Lets say, "girl on bicycle", and there was no girl and no bicycle. I wasn't nit picking tricycles marked as bicycle or stupid little things. These were way out and probably just an error where wrong keywords were applied to a batch of images.

Meanwhile I never got 2 cents for my excellent efforts and sharp eyes. ;) Don't know if the seller ever got notification or if it just went into the everlasting long line, waiting for review.

I still think there's room for abuse but hearing that people who post false alerts could also be suspended, makes me happier.

Yea, if you don't do anything about the flag and it reaches the DT review team and they find that your keyword is indeed wrong, the flagger gets .02 cents.

... and the contributor can no longer edit the keywords for the flagged image .

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 15:12 »
My image is flagged by a person who's stats are:

Uploaded files:    0
Total sales:   0
Portfolio exposure:   0%
Database exposure:   0%
Message boards:    0
Monthly uploads:    0.00 average
Uploads this month:    0

I mean... seriously!? Maybe someone joined DT just to earn 2 cents for every flagged image.... :D

It could be a buyer too. I just don't know if buyers accounts look the same as contributor's accounts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 15:15 by Dreamframer »

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 15:49 »
My image is flagged by a person who's stats are:

Uploaded files:    0
Total sales:   0
Portfolio exposure:   0%
Database exposure:   0%
Message boards:    0
Monthly uploads:    0.00 average
Uploads this month:    0

I mean... seriously!? Maybe someone joined DT just to earn 2 cents for every flagged image.... :D

It could be a buyer too. I just don't know if buyers accounts look the same as contributor's accounts.
The buyers accounts do look the same as contributors accounts and I suspect that mostly they have just pressed the flag button instead of lightbox button

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 19:41 »
ALL of mine are from people in poor countries.  Not trying to start anything here, just telling you that they are from India and other world regions where 2 cents added up times 10,000 = a lot by some of their standards.  And what pisses me off the most is that DT is asking US contributors to be nice to the flagger if we get flagged.  I had two more worthless flags today. Fk em.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 19:44 by Mantis »