MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Newbie here with lots of questions  (Read 26174 times)

« on: June 25, 2011, 11:40 »
Hi All,

I am just getting started into stock photography and I got a lot of questions.  Can anyone help?

1. I am thinking of getting a DSLR... what do you all think about the various Canon Digital Rebel models?  Are they a pretty good?

2. If I shoot in Raw, is Adobe Light Room adequate for most processing (batch adjusting levels, white balance and other stuff) or do I need more elaborate software such as Photoshop for this?

BTW, Adobe Photoshop is very, very expensive... would Adobe Photoshop Elements do an adequate job when it comes to occasionally removing brand names, logos, telephone poles, etc and getting rid of any purple fringing?

Also is there any other photo editing software packages that would also do these things?  Is Corel Paintshop Pro any good?  Are there any other programs you would recommend?

3. Can you edit photos when they are .tifs or just when they are in raw format?

4. What sort of monitor calibration hardware/software should I use?  How often do you need to calibrate a monitor? Also can the hardware that hangs over the screen scratch or damage the monitor in any way?

Thanks,

Duane

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:01 »
I am just getting started into stock photography and I got a lot of questions.  Can anyone help?

1. I am thinking of getting a DSLR.

Why do you think "stock photography" is something you want to do?

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06 »
Of course the better the camera, the easier will life be for you, but I would say the lens is more important. Canons are great cameras, just pick good lenses. But, above all, do you know how to use manual camera settings? This is also an investment you need to consider.

I am ashamed to say that I still don't use raw, and I can not answer about Lightroom. I agree PS is too expensive and that PSP will completely satisfy your needs for a fraction of PS' price. I still use version X2, but latest PSP version is even more powerful (not necessarily a better software).

I use TIFF all the time, except in some rare elaborate edition that I use PSP's format to retain all edition layers.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:11 »
Hi All,

I am just getting started into stock photography and I got a lot of questions.  Can anyone help?

1. I am thinking of getting a DSLR... what do you all think about the various Canon Digital Rebel models?  Are they a pretty good?

2. If I shoot in Raw, is Adobe Light Room adequate for most processing (batch adjusting levels, white balance and other stuff) or do I need more elaborate software such as Photoshop for this?

BTW, Adobe Photoshop is very, very expensive... would Adobe Photoshop Elements do an adequate job when it comes to occasionally removing brand names, logos, telephone poles, etc and getting rid of any purple fringing?

Also is there any other photo editing software packages that would also do these things?  Is Corel Paintshop Pro any good?  Are there any other programs you would recommend?

4. What sort of monitor calibration hardware/software should I use?  How often do you need to calibrate a monitor? Also can the hardware that hangs over the screen scratch or damage the monitor in any way?

Thanks,

Duane

1. Just about any DSLR from any manufacturer would be a good start. New or used. I've had a few different brands and currently shoot Canon.

2. You will need more than Lightroom. Elements could work but full Photoshop would definitely offer more tools to speed up processing.

3. Either/both.

4. I use Spyder but any will work. I doubt it would damage your monitor unless you handled it pretty roughly.

Duane - you're asking some pretty 101 level questions here. It sounds like you need to learn how to use a DSLR, Lightroom, and Photoshop which all will require a lot of time to just get familiar with. Then, there's everything else. A few years ago when I got into this I already was pretty advanced with all of those things and I found stock photography itself to be a huge learning curve. I'm not trying to be discouraging but it looks like you have a massive amount of learning to do to just be able to understand the basics. Then you need to get accepted into a stock site. Then you need to get an image accepted. Then you need to create images that will sell. All of this can be done but I think you have a pretty long list of obstacles you're going to run into. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:13 by PaulieWalnuts »

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:44 »
Hi All,

I am just getting started into stock photography and I got a lot of questions.  Can anyone help?

1. I am thinking of getting a DSLR... what do you all think about the various Canon Digital Rebel models?  Are they a pretty good?

Also is there any other photo editing software packages that would also do these things?  Is Corel Paintshop Pro any good?  Are there any other programs you would recommend?

4. What sort of monitor calibration hardware/software should I use?  How often do you need to calibrate a monitor? Also can the hardware that hangs over the screen scratch or damage the monitor in any way?

Thanks,

Duane

1. Just about any DSLR from any manufacturer would be a good start. New or used. I've had a few different brands and currently shoot Canon.

2. You will need more than Lightroom. Elements could work but full Photoshop would definitely offer more tools to speed up processing.

3. Either/both.

4. I use Spyder but any will work. I doubt it would damage your monitor unless you handled it pretty roughly.

Duane - you're asking some pretty 101 level questions here. It sounds like you need to learn how to use a DSLR, Lightroom, and Photoshop which all will require a lot of time to just get familiar with. Then, there's everything else. A few years ago when I got into this I already was pretty advanced with all of those things and I found stock photography itself to be a huge learning curve. I'm not trying to be discouraging but it looks like you have a massive amount of learning to do to just be able to understand the basics. Then you need to get accepted into a stock site. Then you need to get an image accepted. Then you need to create images that will sell. All of this can be done but I think you have a pretty long list of obstacles you're going to run into. Best of luck.

The above is the best advice.  Get a DSLR and have fun with photography.  With time you will know when you are ready to apply that knowledge to the commercial world.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 13:12 »

Ah, the old "answer a question with a question", and its a good one. Let's see if you get an answer ;-)

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 13:40 »
Of course the better the camera, the easier will life be for you, but I would say the lens is more important. Canons are great cameras, just pick good lenses. But, above all, do you know how to use manual camera settings? This is also an investment you need to consider.

I am ashamed to say that I still don't use raw, and I can not answer about Lightroom. I agree PS is too expensive and that PSP will completely satisfy your needs for a fraction of PS' price. I still use version X2, but latest PSP version is even more powerful (not necessarily a better software).

I use TIFF all the time, except in some rare elaborate edition that I use PSP's format to retain all edition layers.

Hi Madelaide,

Thanks for your very helpful reply.  I have been looking into PSP as it seems to have batch processing. 

Photoshop Elements has this feature also, but it only batch processes automatic fixes, not allowing one to make custom changes to levels, white balance etc.

So just to understand your workflow better. you shoot in .jpg convert to .tiff and work with the tiff files files in PSP before converting them back into .jpg?

Also, what sort of noise software are you using, and what step is that in your processing workflow?

(I would assume it would be your last step?)

Thanks for your help.

Duane

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 14:02 »

Ah, the old "answer a question with a question", and its a good one. Let's see if you get an answer ;-)

Always nice to see trolls on a forum!

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 14:12 »

Well, coming new to a forum asking for advice and already calling people trolls isn't too bright. Calling Sean, one of the most successful stock shooters in the world, a troll is even less bright.

I don't think you're going to be getting too much more advice around here.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 14:35 »

Well, coming new to a forum asking for advice and already calling people trolls isn't too bright. Calling Sean, one of the most successful stock shooters in the world, a troll is even less bright.

Hey Dude,

I am just looking for some answers to my questions... not receiving replies/questions that are OFF TOPIC and as a result are useless.

Keep in mind all of you (no matter how "professional" you think you are), were beginners at photography at some point in your life. 

It wasn't like you were born with a camera in your hand.

So if you can't provide any useful information, then quit trolling!!

Thanks for your cooperation, 

Duane

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 14:47 »
Lol ...  I suggest using Gala apples when you start shooting fruit on white.  They're much rounder then red delicious.

Btw, if you answered my question, you might actually have gotten better answers.  You don't have a camera, so you're not one of these 'I just want money for a new lens for my hobby' people.  So, presumably you see this a some easy way to make money. It sounds like you have no experience with any kind of photo workflow.  So, I'm curious as to why you think you want to do this.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 15:01 by sjlocke »

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 15:13 »
Btw, if you answered my question, you might actually have gotten better answers.  

I SERIOUSLY doubt that!!

None of your postings to this thread have been useful so far. 

Makes me glad there's an Ignore button.  Looks like I will be using it.

Duane

P.S. For a successful photographer, you sure like to conduct yourself in an unprofessional manner. Makes me wonder if you are who you claim to be.  Online Identities are easy to fake.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 15:23 »
Oh, I'm not going to ignore you.  I'm going to watch for your posts.  You are one funny guy.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 15:36 »
Btw, if you answered my question, you might actually have gotten better answers.  

I SERIOUSLY doubt that!!

None of your postings to this thread have been useful so far. 

Makes me glad there's an Ignore button.  Looks like I will be using it.

Duane

P.S. For a successful photographer, you sure like to conduct yourself in an unprofessional manner. Makes me wonder if you are who you claim to be.  Online Identities are easy to fake.

It's a valid question, and probably the most important one to answer.

You have come here with the same old same old noob questions which could have been easily answered using a search function here or on the web at large. So, the only interesting question that remains is the "why?". What are your goals, and what is your motivation here? That one of your original concerns is the ability to remove telephone poles tells me that your views of photography are bit skewed. There are no instant solutions, and no standard answers to your questions. Are you looking to be a photographer or a retoucher?

The Rebel is good. The Nikons are good. Either will satisfy amateur needs. All you need is a good lens and the ability to dump the files. Expose properly, compose properly, learn to work with light - you will get good pictures.

nruboc

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 15:58 »

Not to mention, his blog is top Google result for 'istockphoto pricing filter'...LOL..that still cracks me up

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 16:02 »

You have come here with the same old same old noob questions which could have been easily answered using a search function here or on the web at large. So, the only interesting question that remains is the "why?". What are your goals, and what is your motivation here? That one of your original concerns is the ability to remove telephone poles tells me that your views of photography are bit skewed. There are no instant solutions, and no standard answers to your questions. Are you looking to be a photographer or a retoucher?

The Rebel is good. The Nikons are good. Either will satisfy amateur needs. All you need is a good lens and the ability to dump the files. Expose properly, compose properly, learn to work with light - you will get good pictures.

I disagree. The initial question and the subsequent posts from this person were not valid, nor were they helpful.

As for my questions about removing telephone poles... I don't expect to be removing them very often from a photo as proper composition, exposure, etc can save a lot of editing time... but I definitely want my software to have the capability to remove unwanted items, should the need arise.

Duane

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 16:41 »

Hey Dude,

I am just looking for some answers to my questions... not receiving replies/questions that are OFF TOPIC and as a result are useless.

Keep in mind all of you (no matter how "professional" you think you are), were beginners at photography at some point in your life. 

It wasn't like you were born with a camera in your hand.

So if you can't provide any useful information, then quit trolling!!

Thanks for your cooperation, 

Duane

Uh, hey there captain, you asked some general questions and I gave you some general answers that absolutely did answer your questions.

The equipment really doesn't matter when you're first starting out. You can take spectacular pictures with a 5 year old DSLR or crappy pictures with a $7,000 D3X. All depends on you. 

I guess I'll "quit trolling" now and let you get back to making more friends here.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 16:59 »

I disagree. The initial question and the subsequent posts from this person were not valid, nor were they helpful.

As for my questions about removing telephone poles... I don't expect to be removing them very often from a photo as proper composition, exposure, etc can save a lot of editing time... but I definitely want my software to have the capability to remove unwanted items, should the need arise.

Duane

I have to respectfully disagree. It certainly holds more validity than the statement
I am thinking of getting a DSLR.

From someone who has been involved with all aspects of stock for many years including agency, buying, shooter, and illustrator, the Why is the most important question. Is it money? Is it art? Is it seeing your name on a credit line?

And why Canon? Why not Pentax K-5? 

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 17:11 »
"Why do you think "stock photography" is something you want to do?"

It really is the best question. All else follows from it. If you want to just share your hobby/travel pics, you will need a different camera than if you are planning to do professional glamour or lifestyle shots.

More important than the camera would be your lighting skills and lighting equipment. Do you want to shoot people, or food, or still life? Studio shots or on location?

Who will be your models? How much will you pay them? How expensive is the make up artist? And where do you find a good one?

What type of buyers are you targeting? Do you know their budget, their layout and composition requirements?

etc...etc...

I use a Sony Alpha 900, a Leica M9 or a Canon G12 or Sony Nex5. I know a phoographer with over 12 000 downloads on istock who does it all with Sigma SD 1.All these cameras can produce great sellable stock pictures. I use strobes, speedlights  or daylight. I can process with Photoshop Elements 2.0 (still have it on the laptop) or Photoshop CS5.

Do you have a background in graphic design? Have you worked in advertising before?

So the question Sean gave you, was the best one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 17:13 by cobalt »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 17:21 »
Sean definitely gave you the best answer.
Imagine if I went onto a pro tennis forum and, arriving completely out of thin air, I posted, "I want to be a pro tennis player, which raquet and shoes should I get?"

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 17:21 »

I have to respectfully disagree. It certainly holds more validity than the statement

I disagree again.  You are reading way too much into my post.  

Just stick with answering the questions and quit wondering about why they arised, OK??

Also in answer to your other question... "why Canon?"  

Because that is the brand of SLR camera I have used for many years when I was shooting with film.

Duane

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 17:26 »
Duane,

I think you are having the wrong understanding regarding some answers you got here, maybe because indeed they may sound a bit harsh (some people like to act grumpy, even when they have a generous heart  :D ).

The questions about your previous experience with photography are valid. Getting into microstock today is much harder than years ago. With so many contributors, sites are very selective, very picky, rejecting images for the slightest flaws. I know many people who were disappointed with the results they got just because what they produce isn't much "stock". Some because ther photo skills are not as good as they believed, others because they like to shoot waterfalls and birds, which are not very popular in the microstock business (they may however sell well as prints, I know many people who sell prints in fairs).

So just to understand your workflow better. you shoot in .jpg convert to .tiff and work with the tiff files files in PSP before converting them back into .jpg?

Also, what sort of noise software are you using, and what step is that in your processing workflow?

Yes, I convert JPEG to TIFF, then work on it until I am satisfied. I take notes on the steps used, so I can repeat them to other images. Then I save the final image as JPEG for uploading. I don't use noise reduction software, on rare occasions I apply PSP's tools in selected areas only.

In fact most of my microstock stuff was shot with a compact camera. The DSLR images I upload basically as macrostock, mainly RM.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 17:26 »
"Just stick with answering the questions and quit wondering about why they arised, OK??"

I was right, you are funny.

I don't know about anyone else, but my consulting fee is $250/hour.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 17:28 »

I disagree again.  You are reading way too much into my post.  

Just stick with answering the questions and quit wondering about why they arised, OK??

Also in answer to your other question... "why Canon?"  

Because that is the brand of SLR camera I have used for many years when I was shooting with film.

Duane

Being a camera fanboy gets you nowhere.

So let's pose another question? What does your vision offer besides multiple versions of the isolated tomato? Because as mentioned above, what you decide to shoot dictates what type of camera you need, not camera brand.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 17:39 »

Being a camera fanboy gets you nowhere.

So let's pose another question? What does your vision offer besides multiple versions of the isolated tomato? Because as mentioned above, what you decide to shoot dictates what type of camera you need, not camera brand.

Again, I disagree with that.  In the days of film, a 35 mm camera could be used for multiple applications. Same holds true for DSLRs. 

It's the lenses that one uses that limit the image type.

For example, a 28-105 mm F 4.5 lens is not going to be useful for sports, nature, or action photography except under bright light conditions. However this lens would be fine for general landscapes.

So let me ask you again, is a Canon Digital Rebel a decent SLR or not, because that is what I am looking at or an equivalently priced Nikon model.

Duane