pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: WOW - new site design, let's test drive this baby...  (Read 16609 times)

« on: July 05, 2011, 16:19 »
Check it out.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 16:26 »
Looks very good.

Their new logo isn't all that amazing, but way better than it was.

helix7

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 16:41 »

That orange logo is hard to look at on the blue background.

CD123

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 17:15 »
Great job - definite improvement Duncan and crew. Congratulations.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 17:26 »
BIG improvement over the last design. The orange logo does make me eyes feel a bit weird if I look at it to long. Not sure if it needs to be brightened or darkened but the orange search button looks really good against the blue.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 17:46 »
Hi Ducan, BIG improvement.

The only thing i would say is make the fact that you sell video a bit more prominent to help your sales and us contributors!

Regards,

stocker2011.

lisafx

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 18:16 »
Looks really great Duncan!  Very visually appealing and easy to navigate. 

Agree with Helix on the orange logo on the blue background though. 

Overall really nice job.  And all done without any of the hiccups and glitches that seem to accompany these types of changes on other sites :)

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 18:31 »

That orange logo is hard to look at on the blue background.

i like the light headed feeling it gives me after i stare at it. =)

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 18:32 »
just drop in a drop shadow behind the orange logo and we good to go

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 18:46 »
Kickass!!

I even like the logo on the blue.  Great stuff!

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 19:19 »

a drop shadow might work, or it can be changed to white.. The simpler the better. I agree that it does not look good on blue. Apart from that, great work!

Congrats!

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 20:29 »

a drop shadow might work, or it can be changed to white.. The simpler the better. I agree that it does not look good on blue. Apart from that, great work!

Congrats!

No a drop shadow wouldn't work.  It needs a drop "glow".  Like this....

Duncan, if you want me to send you the orange icon, it's yours!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 20:33 by pseudonymous »

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 20:45 »
For me colors of interface icons and elements on site is to much vibrant and saturated.
Its OK for cartoon or child sites not for stock.
Thumb of photos and illustrations must be vibrant but if other interface elements are vibrant too you dont have point in what you are looking for, just in to colorful cartoon site what CanStockPhoto is not.
Also name CanStockPhoto in top left corner will be better to be white on blue than black...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 21:01 by Suljo »

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 20:48 »

Congrats!

drop shadow works great on the orange search button.. but I personally believe the icon should be a plain white..

also, I guess they have the designers to do it?  ;D

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 20:53 »
For me colors of interface icons and elements on site is to much vibrant and saturated.
Thumb of photos and illustrations must be vibrant but if other interface elements are vibrant too you dont have point in what you are looking for, just in to colorful cartoon site what CanStockPhoto is not.
Also name CanStockPhoto in top left corner will be better to be white on blue than black...

What's so vibrant about it?  the only vibrant colours they've used is the orange on the search.  The logo isn't too bright.  The background is subtle.  They've used colours that make the images look more vibrant and that is what you want.  The images now pop.

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 20:54 »

Congrats!

drop shadow works great on the orange search button.. but I personally believe the icon should be a plain white..

also, I guess they have the designers to do it?  ;D

One would think so but I'm guessing they would have executed it better if they used a designer :D

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 21:13 »

What's so vibrant about it?  the only vibrant colours they've used is the orange on the search.  The logo isn't too bright.  The background is subtle.  They've used colours that make the images look more vibrant and that is what you want.  The images now pop.

Ok
Maybe "vibrant" is not what I mean. Maybee poping menus with odd icons feals me like childish style?!
Try to cover gray footer from screen or just cover it with hand and see that something is not eye friendly.
Generally site looks to me like old template from Rapid weaver with added gray footer like on 123rf.
Maybee I am wrong but I think there is too much room for improvement.

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 21:29 »

Ok
Maybe "vibrant" is not what I mean. Maybee poping menus with odd icons feals me like childish style?!
Try to cover gray footer from screen or just cover it with hand and see that something is not eye friendly.
Generally site looks to me like old template from Rapid weaver with added gray footer like on 123rf.
Maybee I am wrong but I think there is too much room for improvement.

Yeah, sorry, I just don't see "popping menus" but you're right, there's room for improvement.  If it was me, I would make it look more vibrant.  The boxes around the images, I would make them a clean crisp white and make the grey much lighter.  

I just noticed they put a shadow behind the logo... much better but I still think a glow would improve it, along with a slightly more saturated orange.

Overall though, the site is a huge improvement to what it was.  Not just visually, but the speed is fantastic.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 23:30 »
Lots of opinions from people..eheheh

In any case, I'm most interested in these things they mentioned ----usability, navgation, easy of use, speed, comission payout that has not been lowered, larger watermark...it seems they are going to expand to foreign markets? updated payout schedule...
and I'm just happy if that helps bring in more sales.
I think the cosmetic part can be easily tweaked later

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 23:43 »
I never thought they would change it. This is far more impressive. The old site functioned pretty well, but well past its sell by date on the design. I love the way on the homepage if you click "Search our library" not "Search", the search box moves to the centre of the screen. Nice touch. Don't like the logo, although the one that pseudonymous has done is much better. In fact I've gone from not liking the logo to liking it. It's amazing what a difference small changes can do.

Amazing growth on CanStockPhoto, almost 5 million image files now. I think when I signed up in late 2008 they had less than 1 million. Duncan, remind ur buyers that they need to buy images of Asia  ;) I don't sell much with CanStockPhoto, but I know others that sell pretty well. Keep up the good work and thanks for having good contributor support.

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 00:34 »
Great job and I like it :)

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 02:23 »
Above the design changes I think it's worth to mention that they have raised commissions a bit - if only for XL-subs, but hey, that's certainly a step in the right direction (yes, I would have liked seeing the $0,25 subs rate rising as well, but that's only the logical next step, right Duncan ? ;D).

Give them some praise for that, we need more sites raising commissions!

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 02:46 »
This is much better than the bland look that some of the other sites have changed to.  I hope the buyers like it though, it really doesn't matter what I think, as long as sales keep growing.

I like the subs increase for larger sizes and vectors but I would still like to see the $0.25 go.  It feels horrible selling for that low commission when I get $0.38 for any size with SS.  Raising it to $0.30 would make a big psychological difference and I'm sure CanStockPhoto would benefit.  There aren't a lot of $0.25 subs but I'm sure it puts people off uploading their portfolios and that will cost CanStockPhoto a lot of money.