pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: WOW - new site design, let's test drive this baby...  (Read 16510 times)

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 03:06 »
I don't think it's terribly inspired but I don't care, at least it's not overcomplicated. The words "faster search" in Duncan's original post are the most impressive thing so far. The things that matter are having a good, effective search, ease of use, a solid framework that doesn't break down and a simple, easy to understand pricing/purchase system. Functionality trumps appearance every time.

Now, if Duncan could just find a way of making that little number on the top right side roll over a lot faster, that would be really good. Last year's earnings surge seems to have gone into reverse in the last few months.

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22 »
For me the use of complementary colors makes the icon hard to read.  This is an old trick in the art world for that exact purpose . . .  blue-orange, red-green,  yellow-purple.  Using a drop shadow makes it even worse when using complementaries, making the border less distinct. Also, the orange favicon on brownish Bookmark dropdown reads poorly . . .  maybe use a white background would help. 

Maybe something like this . . . . . . but who in . am I . . . . . .

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58 »
Wow, I got caught up with the aesthetics and the functionality that I didn't even get to read the part about our commissions being increased.  That took me completely by surprise.

Thanks Duncan, you and your team are a class act!   I wish other agents take note of your fairness.

rubyroo

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 07:24 »
Very refreshing Duncan  ;D

I like the new design - but also like the 'glow' suggested and illustrated by Pseudonymus in this thread.

I notice that there's an option under My Account -> Preferences to change the colours - but I can't get that to work in Firefox.

helix7

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44 »

How's CanStockPhoto working out for you guys? I just signed up. Think I'll give them a try.

Microbius

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48 »
Much better but +1 on the logo not looking good. Both in terms of colour and design.

eggshell

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38 »
It's better than the old design , that's for sure . The thing that worries me at Canstock are the sales though - almost 65% of the my total are subscriptions .

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03 »

How's CanStockPhoto working out for you guys? I just signed up. Think I'll give them a try.

Last few months, it has definitely been much better than Bigstock!

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 09:37 »
are all the other agencies prices as low as canstock? Being exclusive mostly vector artist, i dont really see what other agencies charge. I just noticed the prices of the files and they are so much cheaper than istocks. no wonder buyers are leaving. so much cheaper competition. i wish these agencies would raise prices.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 10:14 »
are all the other agencies prices as low as canstock? Being exclusive mostly vector artist, i dont really see what other agencies charge. I just noticed the prices of the files and they are so much cheaper than istocks. no wonder buyers are leaving. so much cheaper competition. i wish these agencies would raise prices.

I was actually looking at this the other day because I was a little out of touch with it too. I came up with an average of between $15 and $20 for vectors. It's hard to nail down an exact price because of credits, pricing tiers and other factors. I agree with you though. I think CanStockPhoto could raise their top end prices on vectors and largest size rasters.

rubyroo

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 12:05 »
To Duncan:

Is it possible to make our royalty balance a bit larger or more prominent?  I find I really have to squint to see it now that the site colours are brighter.

lisafx

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 12:10 »
Wow, I got caught up with the aesthetics and the functionality that I didn't even get to read the part about our commissions being increased.  That took me completely by surprise.

Thanks Duncan, you and your team are a class act!   I wish other agents take note of your fairness.

Very enthusiastic +1!

I missed the part about the raise too.  Thanks a lot Duncan!  :D

lagereek

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 16:48 »
Its a great improvement!  looks professional indeed. Graphically its interesting because it "hits" your eye, simply because of the colors, very clever.

One thing though, when you search and tick, lets say photos, it keeps flickering too much.

Best thing and congratulation for this:  your search-engine gives very relevant material and thats the heart of the business.

good luck and best.

Christian

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 17:27 »
Neat indeed. I only wanted to see the earnings total change (last image sold was exactly one month ago).  :'(

lagereek

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 00:15 »
Neat indeed. I only wanted to see the earnings total change (last image sold was exactly one month ago).  :'(

Thats because youre an Aussie ;D

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 04:00 »
No, I'm Brazilian. ;D

TheSmilingAssassin

This user is banned.
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 05:20 »
Neat indeed. I only wanted to see the earnings total change (last image sold was exactly one month ago).  :'(

Thats because youre an Aussie ;D

What are you trying to say here lagareek?  Are Aussies meant to be talentless or something?

ETA:  I tapped danced and simultaneously typed the above sentence.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:35 by pseudonymous »

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24 »
Its a very easy to use site now, works well. I look forward to earning lots of money on it.....

helix7

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 13:07 »

$10 for the vector file seems pretty normal. I think that's more on par with what the industry seems to be doing and what buyers support than what istock has been up to.

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 14:10 »
I'd be more concerned w/ what I got for the sale than what the cost was - for example at the lowest level on IS, a 20$ sale will return the artist $3. a 10$ sale at a site with 50% commission gives the artist 5$.  - Note that most of the sales on CanStockPhoto are from members which are half the price listed for non members (so $5 for a vector if I am reading things correctly = $2.50 for the artist).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

In general the new site looks like a big improvement. The search does tend to clump similar images from the same artist, but that is understandable if they all have the same keywords.

lisafx

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 17:41 »
FWIW, the series editor doesn't seem to be working at all.  Every time I try to use it my browser completely freezes up.  I disabled all my java add-ons and it still doesn't work. 

Duncan, can you take a look? 

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 08:19 »
FWIW, the series editor doesn't seem to be working at all.  Every time I try to use it my browser completely freezes up.  I disabled all my java add-ons and it still doesn't work. 

Duncan, can you take a look? 

Hmm, that's strange, it works fine for me. We have not had any other reports of trouble with it that I'm aware of. Could you kindly try another browser? Or try your current browser after restarting it?  If you continue to have trouble with it, could you let us know what browser and version you're using?

Thanks,
Duncan

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 14:11 »
Nice new look, but why still no profile for footage collection?

lisafx

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 15:46 »
It worked for me today - Firefox 3.6.18 - but is still a bit slow.  Tried IE and about the same.  

Thanks for checking it out :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 15:48 by lisafx »

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 09:46 »
Wow - I'm used to virtually no sales at CanStock, perhaps two dollars a month, despite a port of 500 files. But had four sales in one day this week and now a 'Distribution Regular' sale for a mighty $15.59! Very exciting...