MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: re-thinking the whole thing  (Read 6190 times)

« on: August 01, 2011, 18:21 »
Not long ago I retired, and had wanted to ge more active in microstock.  My tiny portfolio (about 150) has actually done pretty well over the last 2 years, considering that it's mostly oddball shots of objects.  

But during that time, IS only got weirder.  The difficulty of getting photos accepted there, the tedious keyword process,  the sinking commissions,  deteriorating search placement - there's no future.

That left DT, SS GL and CC.

At GL I made a bunch of nice sales at the start, but it went dead months ago.  In 2 years at CC I've made 20 cents.  

My acceptance at SS was always very high. Until now.  But I've just had a bunch of rejections that have left me completely baffled.  (I won't bore you with the details).   My feelings are hurt.  I don't like SS any more.

Meanwhile DT has consistently accepted all my stuff, and my sales have been steadily increasing.  After their recent search changes and the 'level 0' thing, photos that had been stone cold for months started making an occasional sale.

I'm burned out on fighting with IS, SS has changed for the worse; CC and GL are just not going to happen.   So now I'm thinking - maybe I should just go exclusive at DT.  

Holy smoke.  A year ago, I would have ridiculed this idea...

lisafx

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 18:31 »
If you are retired, and don't need this as an important part of your income, then you might be happier going exclusive.  Less hassle, and DT is a great company.

OTOH, you have seen for yourself how volatile the microstock industry is.  The way things are can, and probably will, change drastically at any moment.  The best way to weather the ups and downs of the different sites is to have your portfolio spread around. 

But as I said, you may not really need the income, and for you perhaps the simplicity of one site would be appealing.

Noodles

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 18:32 »
The same will only happen to you at DT - why not analysis your work and compare it with those who do succeed - and then adapt!

traveler1116

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 19:32 »
If you are retired, and don't need this as an important part of your income, then you might be happier going exclusive.  Less hassle, and DT is a great company.

OTOH, you have seen for yourself how volatile the microstock industry is.  The way things are can, and probably will, change drastically at any moment.  The best way to weather the ups and downs of the different sites is to have your portfolio spread around. 

But as I said, you may not really need the income, and for you perhaps the simplicity of one site would be appealing.

I would say if you don't need the income so much go to Alamy.

Ed

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 21:01 »
I was exclusive with DT for about a year and a half (2006 to 2007 I think).  I will say that I have corresponded with Serban personally in the past and believe it or not, he cares about the contributors at the agency.  If you ever meet him personally, or correspond with him, you will know what I mean.  I've found the same from image reviewers that were there at the time - especially Ioana.

I busted exclusivity because I wanted to dabble in RM and at traditional agencies.

The reason I chose exclusivity in the first place was because DT has always (and continues to be) my best selling microstock agency.  The buyers and editors prefer my style there.  I don't do as well at other places.  This is consistent.

It's a very personal decision and you have to decide for yourself whats best for your business.

lthn

This user is banned.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 21:10 »
doesn't matter, the whole world's social and market system is collapsing, and when the goods stop going across the borders, the soldiers start to... you'll probably be nuked soon.: )

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 21:47 »
I had hoped that by this time, some new site like GL or CC would be getting some traction, but at least for me, nothing has happened at those sites.   I suppose that being small, they find niches, and my stuff just isn't the right thing.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 22:00 »
Remember that being exclusive at DT means totally exclusing, not even RM is allowed. A very big commitment, and personally one I would not take.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23 »
Remember that being exclusive at DT means totally exclusing, not even RM is allowed. A very big commitment, and personally one I would not take.

Yeah, easy to get into harder to get out of although, as images climb the levels, the RPD starts to get relatively good and more so if exclusive.  On the downside, if you have stuff already on IS, SS these are presumably earning and this would be gone, some sites won't let you back if you quit (and you might change your mind), DT's technical standards are broadly similar to SS and FT but sometimes one site will reject but the other 2 accept so you might have homeless marketable files.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01 »
I would say if you don't need the income so much go to Alamy.
I laughed out loud at that one, but it was a rueful laugh. :-\

lthn

This user is banned.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21 »
I had hoped that by this time, some new site like GL or CC would be getting some traction, but at least for me, nothing has happened at those sites.   I suppose that being small, they find niches, and my stuff just isn't the right thing.

so what is your stuff? can you show us?

Noodles

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39 »
If you really want to see some sale then you have to do something about it. What about current news topics?  I saw something a little worrying on CNN today. They had a segment showing the Chinese building a bridge in San Francisco and then an American company exporting Chopsticks to China - there's plenty of material in that story if you use your imagination  :)

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17 »
Looks like there's another new thread about DT exclusivity.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 13:23 »
I am not sure if exclusivity makes sense after you have had some portfolios on several sites and some sales there.  For one, if you quit the other sites, it is difficult to change your mind later, and also, you are losing actual income for some future earning potential. Maybe, if the math is right