MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: August best match shift?  (Read 58338 times)

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 15:06 »
sales may be sales, but I'm not happy when the best match favours old files. it means new files are being indexed and basically pushed to the back, potentially never to be seen. I stop uploading when this happens for the most part. best match right now is messed....I don't like it even though sales numbers are up and down, generally average for August.

With so many images, both old and new, there has to be a balance struck in the best match. Right now I think they have it about right. For example I've just searched on a subject (omelet) which had over 1400 results. Out of the first 100 images, when sorted by best match, 13 of them had zero downloads. New images are getting their time in the sun but not excessively so.

Don't forget every unproven new image is, at least for a time, displacing older proven work which may be far better. In the past Istock has rewarded artists who continually uploaded tons of mediocre images to the cost of artists who were more selective and uploaded fewer but much better images. In those days images were effectively being killed off once they were 6 months old. That's not the way to build a high-quality library.

^^^^
This.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 16:28 »
sales may be sales, but I'm not happy when the best match favours old files. it means new files are being indexed and basically pushed to the back, potentially never to be seen. I stop uploading when this happens for the most part. best match right now is messed....I don't like it even though sales numbers are up and down, generally average for August.

With so many images, both old and new, there has to be a balance struck in the best match. Right now I think they have it about right. For example I've just searched on a subject (omelet) which had over 1400 results. Out of the first 100 images, when sorted by best match, 13 of them had zero downloads. New images are getting their time in the sun but not excessively so.

Don't forget every unproven new image is, at least for a time, displacing older proven work which may be far better. In the past Istock has rewarded artists who continually uploaded tons of mediocre images to the cost of artists who were more selective and uploaded fewer but much better images. In those days images were effectively being killed off once they were 6 months old. That's not the way to build a high-quality library.

I guess I disagree that the best match is optimal right now. I completely agree about striking a balance. and that old (and not necessarily better images) should not displace proven sellers permanently. but, every new file is potentially a best seller and should get some visibility (I don't care if that happens initially or at a later point). the problem is that I believe some files, depending on best match conditions when they are uploaded, never see the light of day.

theoretically these mass uploaders adding poor-quality work should find their files dropping back in the best match due to lack of performance anyways, so I don't believe the best match is designed to reward 'quality' uploaders, which is a highly subjective judgment anyways. conversely, I'm sure there are as many mass uploaders who upload quality work as there are minimalist uploaders who add poor quality images.

just do a search on files that get downloaded versus some of the most amazing but never-downloaded content on sites.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 16:48 by SNP »

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 16:59 »
I guess I disagree that the best match is optimal right now. I completely agree about striking a balance. and that old (and not necessarily better images) should not displace proven sellers permanently. every new file is potentially a best seller and should get some initial visibility. theoretically these mass uploaders adding poor-quality work should find their files dropping back in the best match due to lack of performance anyways, so I don't believe the best match is designed to reward 'quality' uploaders, which is a highly subjective judgment anyways. conversely, I'm sure there are as many mass uploaders who upload quality work as there are minimalist uploaders who add poor quality images.

just do a search on files that get downloaded versus some of the most amazing but never-downloaded content on sites.

Generally speaking the cream does actually rise to the top and the dirt drops to the bottom. It doesn't always happen quickly but it will eventually. I think you need to think in time-scales of two years or more before you can assess whether an image has achieved it's 'rightful' position in the best match sort order and in earnings.

Just because you describe an image as 'most amazing' does not mean it is actually useful. It sounds like you are judging images on artistic merit or technical difficulty which of course have little or nothing to do with stock photography. I know plenty of photographers whose portfolios are full of 'most amazing' images but who have very few sales. It's not because the best match was nasty to them but because their work was not commercially oriented.

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2011, 17:18 »
we are discussing about best match or regional searches ?

Lobo said
The folks who operate the levers say best match hasn't been adjusted since July. Period. Sorry to disappoint but that's directly from the hooded coven of warlocks responsible.

someone can believe or not

lisafx

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 17:34 »

Lobo said
The folks who operate the levers say best match hasn't been adjusted since July. Period. Sorry to disappoint but that's directly from the hooded coven of warlocks responsible.

Interesting.  My steady (but fairly lackluster) sales would suggest that is true.  But there are so many people reporting drops in August I just assumed there had been some tinkering going on... 

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 17:44 »
My recent xtra small sales of stale, moldy and frankly not my best images suggests to me that the price slider is being used by buyers.
Old cheap non Vetta, non-"Plus" files are getting attention.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 18:23 »

Lobo said

Interesting.  My steady (but fairly lackluster) sales would suggest that is true.  But there are so many people reporting drops in August I just assumed there had been some tinkering going on... 

yeah, I don't think I believe that comment. though I don't believe Lobo would lie, my regular 'check' searches are all returning different and wacky results. so perhaps it isn't a best match shift, but that doesn't mean they haven't flipped some regional switch or some other switch to on or off--that was already technically an inactive or dormant aspect of the July best match.

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 19:11 »
I thought we were informed that the best match is always changing. Perhaps the best match continually changing is indeed the best match not changing because the best match changing is the status quo for the best match?...  LOL! I made a much sense as Lobo!

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 19:28 »
Lobo probably meant that best match had been on auto-pilot since July.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09 »
Just because you describe an image as 'most amazing' does not mean it is actually useful. It sounds like you are judging images on artistic merit or technical difficulty which of course have little or nothing to do with stock photography. I know plenty of photographers whose portfolios are full of 'most amazing' images but who have very few sales. It's not because the best match was nasty to them but because their work was not commercially oriented.

I'm referring to what I would consider commercially-oriented files. not Vetta-style stuff. there are a lot of great stock files that also go ignored and it can probably be attributed to their best match placement when indexed. it's a crapshoot. personally I think it's important to apply some strategy to uploading these days with a collection of over 10 million files.

in any case, if there hasn't been a best match change than something else is going on. today has not started off any better than last week. in fact it's even worse. no idea what is going on in terms of dls the last few weeks. up and down, up and down. last few days down down down....sigh

lagereek

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48 »
Funny reading all this :)  anybody ever stopped to consider that micro on the whole, is slipping?  might just have had its glory days,  or is that too scary a thought.

Slovenian

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 11:00 »
Funny reading all this :)  anybody ever stopped to consider that micro on the whole, is slipping?  might just have had its glory days,  or is that too scary a thought.

Yeah I really think you should stop bothering uploading to new agencies, furthermore I think you should pull all your MS ports and focus on macro/your own sales channel ;) . That being said i just realized it would make any difference, any impact on my sales, since I don't have nothing even remotely industrial in my ports  ::)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 11:06 »
there is something going on today or my sales are just dried up and that's that. seriously, my sales literally stopped last night. I'm doing my best not to freak out. I'm down by 60% for this time of day and number of dls...unbelievable.

Slovenian

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20 »
there is something going on today or my sales are just dried up and that's that. seriously, my sales literally stopped last night. I'm doing my best not to freak out. I'm down by 60% for this time of day and number of dls...unbelievable.

This makes no sense. How could you be 60% down for this time of day if your DLs stopped yesterday?

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 11:31 »
you're right. sorry, should have reread my comment before posting. I meant that I should have 60% of my normal average for daily dls by now and I have not had a single sale since last night, which is unprecedented for me on a weekday.

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35 »
C'mon, it's August, 15th!
In a normal year - before the whole Istock issue - we'd have simply called this summer slump.
I think I'll stop looking for reasons, and wait for September before worrying too much.

All these discussions are keeping me away from shooting new pictures. Not good: in the end - whatever will happen to micro or macro or any future declination of stock photography - our port is our only asset.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:42 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

Slovenian

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39 »
you're right. sorry, should have reread my comment before posting. I meant that I should have 60% of my normal average for daily dls by now and I have not had a single sale since last night, which is unprecedented for me on a weekday.

Just to let you know it's a big Catholic holiday today, that could be the reason for not getting anything so far (from the larger part of Europe), sales in North America have really just started a few hours ago...

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2011, 11:52 »

Just to let you know it's a big Catholic holiday today, that could be the reason for not getting anything so far (from the larger part of Europe), sales in North America have really just started a few hours ago...

well, thank you, hope it's that though I doubt a holiday like that would cause a total shutdown. I even get dls on Christmas

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17 »
there is something going on today or my sales are just dried up and that's that. seriously ...

It's been a fairly slow day so far at all agencies that I'm on. Mid-August plus apparently this religious holiday thing.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2011, 12:23 »

well, thank you, hope it's that though I doubt a holiday like that would cause a total shutdown. I even get dls on Christmas
JFI, no holiday in the UK. But yes, sales are grim.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:45 by ShadySue »

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51 »
Sales are terrible for me too. Last Saturday was the first day for the month when I got no DL.

lagereek

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53 »

Stacey!  dont worry. I cant see any best match change either. I am actually having a good day at IS but it might be my down turn tomorrow,  seems to go in circles.

Slovenian

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2011, 13:05 »

Let us know if you get any by the end of the day;). If you don't, than something weird is really going on (I got an XL DL in the morning and another XS just an hour ago and I'm just an indie bronze)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2011, 13:09 »
I've just had two dls, one agency....so that helps. but my numbers are way below where they would normally be and I'm getting very similar reports from contributors who I tend to keep tabs with. they're not just down, they are in a dl desert today like me....I'm sure it isn't true for everyone, it never is. and I don't wish it on anyone! thanks for the feedback all...

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2011, 13:11 »
I've just had two dls, one agency....so that helps. but my numbers are way below where they would normally be and I'm getting very similar reports from contributors who I tend to keep tabs with. they're not just down, they are in a dl desert today like me....I'm sure it isn't true for everyone, it never is. and I don't wish it on anyone! thanks for the feedback all...
I got only my third dl of the day but it was an EL  ;D