pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: August best match shift?  (Read 58317 times)

« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2011, 13:12 »
Sales are terrible for me too. Last Saturday was the first day for the month when I got no DL.

Saturday was the first day since October 2008 that I didn't get a download.  ;D

I've had some 1 or 2 dl weekend days during that time but no shut outs.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2011, 13:13 »
I've just had two dls, one agency....so that helps. but my numbers are way below where they would normally be and I'm getting very similar reports from contributors who I tend to keep tabs with. they're not just down, they are in a dl desert today like me....I'm sure it isn't true for everyone, it never is. and I don't wish it on anyone! thanks for the feedback all...
I got only my third dl of the day but it was an EL  ;D

enjoy! should cover a nice bottle of wine....and maybe postage to Canada for another bottle of wine  ;D

Gio

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 14:01 »
there is something going on today or my sales are just dried up and that's that. seriously, my sales literally stopped last night. I'm doing my best not to freak out. I'm down by 60% for this time of day and number of dls...unbelievable.

Welcome on board. I'm on this sinking boat since 8th of August.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 14:12 »
there is something going on today or my sales are just dried up and that's that. seriously, my sales literally stopped last night. I'm doing my best not to freak out. I'm down by 60% for this time of day and number of dls...unbelievable.

Welcome on board. I'm on this sinking boat since 8th of August.

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't wish sales angst on anyone. bizarrely my dls are now popping in regularly like they usually do....so I have no idea what happened between 11pm last night and 2pm today. hoping everyone else is seeing sales coming in again too.

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 15:01 »
@SNP
same here, completely shutdown

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 16:30 »
@SNP

weird sales patterns. who knows. hope yours pick up too. mine are more normal again as of 2pm. maybe a fluke, but it seems too much of a contrast.

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 16:45 »
@SNP
+1.  For me a dismal August so far.

July was already poor, but half way through August neither downloads nor $$ are anywhere near half of July's (low) level.

It's not looking good.

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 16:54 »
Well it was definitely a holiday in continental Europe - in the case of spain it meant the virtually everything was shut down. Strangely though I had DLs durring European day, but they stopped when the US usually starts to come through.

Sales patterns have been very strange in the last few weeks. My concern is that there is a bug in reporting sales, particularly due to the big drop-offs that seem to periodically happen at the moment. Of course there's never a real way of verifying any of these things.

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 17:19 »
Sales patterns have been very strange in the last few weeks. My concern is that there is a bug in reporting sales, particularly due to the big drop-offs that seem to periodically happen at the moment. Of course there's never a real way of verifying any of these things.

You could always organise a group of contributors with similar concerns, pool a few dollars, buy some credits and do some test purchases from each others' portfolios at suspicious times. You'd soon find if there was any bugs in the reporting system.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 17:28 »

You could always organise a group of contributors with similar concerns, pool a few dollars, buy some credits and do some test purchases from each others' portfolios at suspicious times. You'd soon find if there was any bugs in the reporting system.

you may find I'm overly cautious but I wouldn't do this and I'd be careful recommending it. it could be construed as gaming the system, obviously not for malicious purposes, but I wouldn't take the chance. I agree Holger that it's almost as though there was a delay in reporting. to go 15 hours with nothing and then boom, my regular pattern of dls coming in, odd.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 17:41 »
Last week when adding a banner to a file's description, I noticed the file had 2 dls on it's home page, but only 1 reported on the upload page. I probably wouldn't have noticed, except that it had only just been accepted and 2 dls with only 4 views would have been a world record for me.
Anyway, when the second sale didn't report itself in a few days, I contacted Support and they said it was a glitch, there was only one sale, and it would be fixed 'sometime'. (It's still showing as two sales on its 'home page').
Probably nothing to worry about, but whatever causes that kind of glitch could cause others.

Slovenian

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 18:01 »
Well it was definitely a holiday in continental Europe - in the case of spain it meant the virtually everything was shut down. Strangely though I had DLs durring European day, but they stopped when the US usually starts to come through.

I had a file showing 2 DLs, but when I check the earnings, there was only 1 sale. I wrote to CR, asking what happened to the 2nd sale, but they just said the second didn't happen. Now what am I to do...I can't do sheat, but stay calm a not think about possibly being ripped off

ETA just noticed the same thing happened to Liz

Slovenian

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49 »
I've just calculated I'm past 60% of my BME. So far so good, with a EL or 2 and pace like this it could be an awesome month and would more than adequately make up for losses at SS due to insane rejections and fresh content not getting online and selling. It looks like in a few weeks my IS port will outgrow my SS port :o

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02 »
I've just calculated I'm past 60% of my BME. So far so good, with a EL or 2 and pace like this it could be an awesome month and would more than adequately make up for losses at SS due to insane rejections and fresh content not getting online and selling. It looks like in a few weeks my IS port will outgrow my SS port :o

that's good, well done.

to summarize my sales from yesterday; I ended up with my normal amount of dls all coming in after 2pm Toronto time. So I had a fifteen hour zero download stretch, which has never happened to me on a weekday. I still feel something weird was happening, either with reporting or who knows. I did open a CR ticket to let them know something was up. cheers.

« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02 »
I noticed a major best match shake this morning. One i'm not used to seeing. Hope is for the better.

« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33 »
I noticed a major best match shake this morning. One i'm not used to seeing. Hope is for the better.
Interesting that there's been a big shake in your results - with my location & settings there doesn't seem to be a big difference.

I just re-did some of the search terms from yesterday's location test - pregnant, cityscape and food and compared the results.  Using the same locations/machine/browser/cookies and all that, the files returned yesterday and today looked very similar, with little more than a few files swapping position in the best match.

Seems we're gradually moving further away from a monolithic 'Best Match' that's consistent for everyone towards a kind of 'Tailored Match'.  I think that's good in lots of ways - especially if it means no longer having a few files always dominating certain big searches all over the world, all of the time.

Seems to me that a problem with adding more and more complexity to the Best Match is that it becomes even more difficult for HQ to have a clue about the consequences of the changes they make.

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42 »
My sales are at about 50% of where they usually are for this time on a Tuesday.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 08:50 »

that sucks Sean. mine are slow too, compared to yesterday though they seem better. hope it improves, any theories about what's happening?

« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2011, 09:23 »

that sucks Sean. mine are slow too, compared to yesterday though they seem better. hope it improves, any theories about what's happening?

I woke up this morning to very low overnight sales as well. Whatever it is, it looks like it's affecting us all. Must be the holiday in Europe.

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40 »

Trust me it is slow everywhere this week. Yesterday at FT my sales numbers were at weekend levels and today they are not much better. If FT's main market is Europe then they may be hit the most by European holidays.

« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2011, 09:53 »
It's hard to tell. Most People in media and advertising agencies usually take vacation in august.

lisafx

« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10 »

Trust me it is slow everywhere this week. Yesterday at FT my sales numbers were at weekend levels and today they are not much better. If FT's main market is Europe then they may be hit the most by European holidays.

I'll second that.  Sales across the board were very slow yesterday.  They appear to have picked up somewhat today, but still grim summer numbers.

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 10:11 »
It's hard to tell. Most People in media and advertising agencies usually take vacation in august.

I guess it's a combination of factors. though last August I didn't see this kind of sales pattern.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28 »
I just searched Dublin (Ireland - county Dublin) again to see if my fairly recent uploads had risen in the best match. 0 results logged in in Firefox, even after three refreshes and 0 results logged out in IE. I'm sure it's "just a glitch" and that it will be OK in a minute or two, but like the last time (a couple of weeks ago) I wonder how often it happens, and how much it puts off buyers - do they have tactics to deal with it,  'try again in a few minutes' or 'go elsewhere' like you'd do if a shop had a 'back in ten minutes' sign and you were in a hurry.
(The last time, I searched on 'horse', got thousands of hits, then searched on Dublin and the results came up. This time I got the thousands of 'horse' hits, but when I tried Dublin again, 0 results.)
Later: Now working, but that was almost 20 minutes from when I first tried to when I got a result.
Later Still: I SM'd Kelvin to ask him to add it to the bugs list, but as it's unreplicable, I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:43 by ShadySue »

« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38 »
Mine too.  :(