pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: August best match shift?  (Read 58320 times)

« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12 »
im 50% of normal too... god i hope this isnt the new normal.
first sunday in years since no dl...

Slovenian

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32 »
My sales are at about 50% of where they usually are for this time on a Tuesday.

Trust me it is slow everywhere this week. Yesterday at FT my sales numbers were at weekend levels and today they are not much better. If FT's main market is Europe then they may be hit the most by European holidays.

I'll second that.  Sales across the board were very slow yesterday.  They appear to have picked up somewhat today, but still grim summer numbers.

I guess we, low ranking losers, get slightly bigger crumbs than usually. This week is above average, I'd say very good at IS (and the whole month for that matter), sales at the other agencies are average.

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 17:59 »
My sales are at about 50% of where they usually are for this time on a Tuesday.

Trust me it is slow everywhere this week. Yesterday at FT my sales numbers were at weekend levels and today they are not much better. If FT's main market is Europe then they may be hit the most by European holidays.

I'll second that.  Sales across the board were very slow yesterday.  They appear to have picked up somewhat today, but still grim summer numbers.

I guess we, low ranking losers, get slightly bigger crumbs than usually. This week is above average, I'd say very good at IS (and the whole month for that matter), sales at the other agencies are average.

must be one of those "low ranking losers" because I've noticed a slight uptick in sales since last week. today has been pretty good, yesterday was average. I'm also still noticing some of my older files with low downloads getting some "download love" these days as well. 

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14 »
Something is going on.  Once again, my overnight sales are at %25 of what they would be on a Wednesday, even two months ago.

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30 »
my week in dollars is now at 50% less than the previous one .... which was in turn lower than before.

Slovenian

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2011, 07:17 »
I'm going to comfort you big timers by telling you I haven't had a single DL so far today ;) (so we small timers aren't taking anything from you, I guess it's just a bad day, although it's a Wednesday)

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2011, 07:21 »
Something is going on.  Once again, my overnight sales are at %25 of what they would be on a Wednesday, even two months ago.

something is definitely up. since last week my sales pattern is up, down, brutal.

Slovenian

« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2011, 07:23 »

something is definitely up. since last week my sales pattern is up, down, brutal.

It's up and down in my case as well, but still those ups more than compensate for the downs:

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2011, 07:45 »
Sometimes you get used to certain patterns when you expect it but lately the patterns are unexpected, weird, strange and ....  ???

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2011, 07:52 »
could it be about the weird cookie issue exclusives are discussing in the exclusive forum? I find it odd that the search changes drastically to show more independent files over exclusives at different times.

It could be one of the first decisions by the new part time boss of istock to maximise the companies profit at the expense of exclusives. many of which are complaining about weird severe drops.

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05 »
Ok, I'm at work now and what I see on my Best Match images on my PC is totally different than what I see on my ipad and different on my mac at home. So maybe it's the cookie.

Slovenian

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2011, 08:06 »
It could be one of the first decisions by the new part time boss of istock to maximise the companies profit at the expense of exclusives. many of which are complaining about weird severe drops.

I see the new leadership is wise. 90% of exclusives wouldn't leave even if their earnings were sliced in half ;) . Not saying I support cutting earnings, but OTOH, it's time we indies finally get some action ;) . They'll get some new exclusives that way ;D . She indeed is a smart girl;)

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2011, 08:15 »
Ok, I'm at work now and what I see on my Best Match images on my PC is totally different than what I see on my ipad and different on my mac at home. So maybe it's the cookie.

Mac users are used to paying 3x more for stuff so the best match probably promotes all the expensive images for them.

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2011, 08:34 »
weird, severe drop here, too, this month.  absolutely brutal.  :P

SNP

• Canadian Photographer
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35 »

Mac users are used to paying 3x more for stuff so the best match probably promotes all the expensive images for them.

yeah really...lol

« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44 »
in my case seems that the real problem is the US buyer....in july the 70% of my sales were done after 5 pm (london time), now is not like before, more distribuited in the european afternoon

Slovenian

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27 »

yeah really...lol

Indeed!  ;D

Slovenian

« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29 »
in my case seems that the real problem is the US buyer....in july the 70% of my sales were done after 5 pm (london time), now is not like before, more distribuited in the european afternoon

USA is in deep sheat, but so is Europe. So the situatuation should be more or less the same, but I've noticed on SS geo map, that I rarely get more sales from USA than from Europe, I usually get twice as much from Europe. But OTOH I've heard from a big time diamond that 75% of the sales at IS are from US

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42 »

Time to leave exlusivity. For your convenience, I have included a few referral links in my signature.  ;D

(that would make me a lot more money than I could ever hope for from my own port...)

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2011, 10:28 »
I see the new leadership is wise. 90% of exclusives wouldn't leave even if their earnings were sliced in half ;) . Not saying I support cutting earnings, but OTOH, it's time we indies finally get some action ;) . They'll get some new exclusives that way ;D . She indeed is a smart girl;)
You can put me down as one of your 10% of exclusives who would drop exclusivity if their earnings were halved :D

If there has been a shift of sales form exclusive to non-exclusive (and there seems to be building direct evidence to support that) I reckon there's a high chance that it wasn't done on purpose.  Perhaps there was a change in the price mix of files that he best match returns which had a side-effect of a non-exclusive boost.

But with so many people reporting major changes caused by cookies etc, seems most likely that the plummeting sales for exclusives and rising sales for non-exclusives is an unexpected consequence of something else.

Shank_ali

This user is banned.
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19 »
EVERY best match shift that i have been apart of results in older files selling for the first time.That's the reason the company employs the system.Some dunces believe it's to hurt contributors sales rather than refreshing content for the buyers.It has worked well for a number of years and will continue for the foreseeable feature IMO.

lisafx

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2011, 13:37 »
EVERY best match shift that i have been apart of results in older files selling for the first time.That's the reason the company employs the system.Some dunces believe it's to hurt contributors sales rather than refreshing content for the buyers.It has worked well for a number of years and will continue for the foreseeable feature IMO.

I don't believe the best match changes are ever intended to hurt the contributor's sales.  Just to boost one set of content over another.  The hurting contributor's sales is just an added value ;D

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2011, 13:54 »

I don't believe the best match changes are ever intended to hurt the contributor's sales.  Just to boost one set of content over another.  The hurting contributor's sales is just an added value ;D
Much what I think. It's to get the content they want out in front, any benefit or otherwise to the contributors is incidental. If they keep doing it long enough without taking anything else into consideration. . . Well look what seems to be happening there now!

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2011, 14:05 »
August has been really bad. I don't know the reason.

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2011, 18:45 »
well I'm still having some decent sales.  yesterday was a great day for downloads for me although a lot of small and xsmall purchases so the dollar amount wasn't as high as it could have been.  I hope the rest of the week keeps at it.