pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is it not just a tad ironic....  (Read 16554 times)

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 05:58 »
I wonder if this was what was behind the new ASA making it compulsory to opt our files into promotions. (I opted mine out last September - on principle, not under any delusion that they'd use my files). There had to be some reason for that, as presumably they had enough very good people (the top people who kept their %age rate) still opted in to cover their ad needs. I was curious at the time.

My theory is that they did that to try and simplify the site. Every check box to be opted in or out of whatever never seems to work and randomly toggles to a whatever state you didn't want.  Easiest way to solve a problem is remove it not fix it.

lisafx

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 09:40 »
From what I can tell it seems to be a sharing and learning community to attract newbie buyers. If it actually works and draws buyers to Istock then great.

LOL!  You mean after they priced all the multitudes of small buyers they already had out of the site?  While at the same time suggesting they were targeting corporate buyers and big design firms instead? 

Now they are finding they need to put together some big new initiative to scrape together some completely inexperienced "newbie buyers". 

You couldn't make this stuff up.... ::)

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56 »
It seems to be set up more like a school. IS picks an "Artist of the Month". That Artist hosts a conference call with all the "proteges" to tell them the assignment and answer questions. The proteges have a week to get their first draft in and then the resulting images are posted online so "everyone can benefit". The protege's will be given $500 or 500 IS credits at the end of the month. Anyone can apply to be a protege but only 2 to 4 applicants will be selected.

- Feast website.

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 13:34 »
After reading this thread I'm glad I deleted the email without reading it, I've got better things to waste my time with....

Druid

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 19:26 »
After reading this thread I'm glad I deleted the email without reading it, I've got better things to waste my time with....

Druid

^^ I did the same thing and I would also go as far as saying that the commission cuts are funding this crap.

lisafx

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 19:30 »

^^ I did the same thing and I would also go as far as saying that the commission cuts are funding this crap.

I agree. 

I can't understand why we are being asked to fund a scheme that actually pulls designers AWAY from Istock, to another site.  Surely this could have been done on Istock itself, like designer spotlight and the steel cage. 

First they redirected buyers to Thinkstock for purchases, now redirecting them to Feast for social interaction.  Is Istock being made irrelevant? 

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 02:31 »
Feast - what a creepy name. Reminds me of a 1970s zombie movie. Having red as the primary color on the site doesn't help much.

But I get what this is, starving artists and creatives, feeding off of each other. Sort of like the Donner party...

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 08:20 »

Does anyone actually understand this Feast thing? I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I'm obviously not "down with the kids" enough.

Thanks for saying it.  I thought I was the only one.  I have no idea what this is about either.  I skimmed over the announcement, but the point of it and the details completely elude me. 

Glad i'm not alone. No clue about this Feast means.

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2011, 17:57 »
I like this at the end of the Feast promo:

And we hope to bring you some kick-ass offline events in the future because sometimes it's nice to hang out with people in real life, away from the internets.

There always seems to be enough money for kick-ass events and istockalypses.  >:(

WOW, they have taken up Bush-speak :)

And Obama spend :o

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2011, 20:50 »
From what I can tell it seems to be a sharing and learning community to attract newbie buyers. If it actually works and draws buyers to Istock then great.

LOL!  You mean after they priced all the multitudes of small buyers they already had out of the site?  While at the same time suggesting they were targeting corporate buyers and big design firms instead? 

Now they are finding they need to put together some big new initiative to scrape together some completely inexperienced "newbie buyers". 

You couldn't make this stuff up.... ::)

Who really knows what the intent of Feast is, but, new buyer doesn't necessarily mean small buyer. They could be a recent college grad who just landed at a large ad agency and can influence purchasing.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2011, 21:05 »
Feast - what a creepy name. Reminds me of a 1970s zombie movie. Having red as the primary color on the site doesn't help much.

But I get what this is, starving artists and creatives, feeding off of each other. Sort of like the Donner party...

Yep, kind of like the Donner party but even better. In the sequel some people in the group keep bringing more and more new people thinking that they're going to help but they just eat the food and deplete it more quickly.

Now that;s irony.  ;D

vonkara

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2011, 21:26 »
In the meanwhile, Bigstock try to attract Istock buyers  :)

I was on a designer forum and saw this.

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2011, 21:33 »
In the meanwhile, Bigstock try to attract Istock buyers  :)

I remember this, there is a black version too, not that long ago :)

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45 »

They should leave out the 't'. :D

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2011, 10:19 »

I'll bet they sure wanted to!

RacePhoto

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2011, 21:14 »

That would be one of my sites for my pictures?  ;D

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 19:44 »
Ok guys I think I'm a few days (weeks) late, but I HAVE to say something.

People were singing the song 'ironic' earlier.  If you've every sung or heard that song around anyone even remotely snobbish or smug, you have undoubtedly been told "not a single thing in that song is ironic, it's so stupid."  While this may be true, isn't that fact.... ironic?  So doesn't she win, after all? Alanis Morissette: the world's first meta hipster troll.  I love it.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 20:15 »
So what's happened? Big launch then ...
Or was that just the pre-hype?

Pixel-Pizzazz

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 22:30 »
ha ha ha ha ha ha  :D

hmmmm.... I wonder what it would be like to have a free place where creatives get together to share for free...until the community becomes a doable size and the site provider appoints all their unqualified, but hip, buddies and beaus to dicktate (sp) the masses and then decides to impliment user fees and only gives a pittance to the actual providers and becomes increasingly more incompetent, untrustworthy and greedy...

hmmmm...that seems more than vaguely familiar  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:18 by Pixel-Pizzazz »

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2011, 03:10 »
Feast wouldn't be an embryonic replacement for the iStock forums, would it? If it's full of touchy-feely goodness and devoid of nasty, touchy, feeling grumpy contributors it would be an ideal interface to let customers see.

Maybe the forums will become contributor access only and simply deal with the endless site problems and announcements. Any negative posts on Feast could be transferred to the semi-private forums and naughty people who insisted on spoiling the community atmosphere could have Feast access cancelled.

Possibly an initiative from the new CEO, who maybe noticed that the public image has taken a bit of a dive in the last year or two?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2011, 08:15 »
Woo-way!