MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Critics and suggestions please  (Read 4075 times)

« on: September 22, 2011, 08:37 »
I uploaded this pic on fotolia and they declined it as they felt it would not attract many buyers.I have tried again as in the past I was able to get 1-2 pics online by resubmitting them.What do you think of this pic?I have other pics which are similar.But this one had some motion blur near the pigeon's neck and so I decided to give it sketch effect and now the blur isn't visible + it looks really artistic and unique.Atleast that's what I feel.I do feel that this pic has a conceptual appeal.Any critics would be appreciated.Any ideas on how this pic could be presented to get it online?

Lastly, do you know of any websites that would accept it under their creative category or something like that?I mean any agency that accepts such pics with applied filters.

I will get an approval from istock today most probably and my application on alamy is pending approval.I am eyeing inmagine.I am already on fotolia and dreamstime.Just in case if that helps.I am an amateur.

Thank you.

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:04 »
I will get an approval from istock today most probably

Nothing like being confident! Good luck with that.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:14 »
I can hardly tell what that collection of pixels is supposed to represent.  I would stop playing with PS filters if you are serious about submitting.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18 »
I decided to give it sketch effect and now the blur isn't visible + it looks really artistic and unique.Atleast that's what I feel.
Thank you.
Yeah, fun to do for a couple of pics, but it isn't stock. You've no chance of getting into iStock with that. Sorry.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:20 »
Pigeons don't sell. Doves yes (in flight), pigeons no. Swans don't sell either before you reach for your sketch pad. Puffins good, swans bad when it comes to stock.

michealo

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24 »
This is one of those Magic Eye things right?

If I squint and look into the distance I can see a vague outline of a pigeon, is that what I'm supposed to see?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:31 by michealo »

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26 »
Even from a thumbnail, this stands out immediately as a simple filtering - it doesn't look like a real sketch. I wouldn't spend any more time on work of this sort for stock - even if you did a better job with it, as others noted, it probably wouldn't sell.

What made you think this was unique? Either as a composition or technique?

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:12 »
No, there is nothing great about the technique.Its just a combination of color dodge and gaussian blur technique.I just thought that I caught a nice moment in time.. :)

No, I haven't submitted this in 1 of the 3 samples to istock.Can't even think of such a risk in dreams. ;)

I don't use PS filters but this 1 had mild motion blur which was impossible to fix so I thought I could present it this way.It's quite a big learning curve.But photography is my hobby. :)

By the way just in case you want to have an idea about my tiny work, have a look :   
http://us.fotolia.com/p/202345383

Comment if you wish to..

lthn

This user is banned.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22 »
pigeons? exciting! : )

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25 »
pigeons? exciting! : )

*Conditions apply...HaHa! ;)

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:32 »
Comment if you wish to..

The cricket ball could work as a stock shot but it would help if it were larger in the frame (it is the subject), centred one third across frame (rule of thirds and all that) and especially sitting on grass not on dirty concrete. That would place the ball in context as well as providing much better contrast. You probably need to lie down and shoot it from a lower angle too. Buyers scan stock searches rapidly with images at thumbnail size. If you want to sell your images they need to have visual impact.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41 »
Yup, I have shot it with every angle.It is on a cricket pitch where batting and bowling is done.There were many on the grass.I am trying to make a collage out of them so that DT accepts it and doesn't decline it due to similarity issues.DT is very strict about similar images.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:43 »
I don't use PS filters but this 1 had mild motion blur which was impossible to fix so I thought I could present it this way.It's quite a big learning curve.But photography is my hobby. :)
Absolutely, but you'll need to learn to keep your hobby away from your stock work. Well, not totally, but some things aren't stock. Doing these filter things are fun for your own use etc, but stock has strict standards which we all have to climb a steep learning curve to meet.
One thing that might help is to compare your photos with those which are selling well on the agencies. Not that you should copy what's already there, absolutely not; but you can think, "Why would someone buy my photo of X rather than those which are already there?"

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 23:03 »
Thank you so much to you all for taking out time and helping.Points have been noted and it was extremely helpful...