pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The "witness" section really needs "Date signed" field?  (Read 8686 times)

« on: September 15, 2011, 10:02 »
I made my own property release, see the attachment. I'm using it since the beginning of the year, every agency was accepting, even iStock, when suddenly an editor at IS "discovered" that the "witness" section has no "date signed" field and therefore rejected the PR. (Note that other ~50 images were accepted by IS before the "discovery").

I started to download the property releases from agencies and saw that they all have "Date signed" field for "witness".

For me is completely illogical to use this field (even in model release forms).
When a witness "witnesses" the completion and signing of a model/property release, he/she must be there and watching, at the end he/she also signs the document, so the whole witnessing procedure MUST happen on the same day/hour and place.

What's the logic behind "Date signed"?

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19 »
Must be to prove that it was witnessed at the same time as it was written.  GUILTY - I've had my husband sign releases and then I run across the street in the morning to have a neighbor witness them. 

I've been busted with this field as well so I feel your pain.  Make sure witness date is exactly the same as model's date, been busted for that too.  Now, I try to fill the forms on my computer, with as many fields completed as possible so they can't screw up.  Make sure you get a street address too, not a postal box or RR #.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:24 »
My advice is to just go with it instead of trying to apply logic.  I remember when iStock started rejecting releases because they didn't have my signature.  What was the point of that?  The release is giving me rights; what purpose does my signature serve?  But arguing got me nowhere, so I added my signature somewhere on the release and the crisis was averted.  Same thing with a date on the witness's signature.  Just add it before you submit the release and you'll be fine.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 16:12 »
Thanks for your responses.
I've also got a reply from IS, flat and simple, they need that field.
So I've lost this match. I updated the form and re-made the PR.
It's attached, if somebody may need.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 17:55 »
I'm reasonably sure every legal document needs a signature and date. At least in the UK.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 22:33 »
I've had rejections where I wasn't accurate enough in the description of the shoot. I put in "lifestyle" and the person was using a telephone which according to the reviewer didn't depict a lifestyle activity. Imagine doing an average shoot with dozens of props and scenarios and trying to fill in everything in detail? My advice is fill in the date for the witness. I usually get the same person to sign the witness section once a month. How many here actually bring a witness to shoot? Everyone must have model/photographer only shoots once in a while.