pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Sales dropping. Istock especially.  (Read 78579 times)

Slovenian

« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2011, 12:03 »

This is today so far at SS....

Wow, impressive ratio of ELs vs subs, I'd sure love to have it :)

« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2011, 12:06 »
Hi All,

Istock keeps dropping and ShutterStock keeps growing. I am glad they are balancing themselves out. As my Istock sales keep dropping the other agencies are picking up the slack and my monthly return is staying the same, within 100 bucks every month. Here is to not losing money over the big picture. :)

Best,
Jonathan

Hey Jonathan! It looks like you have a lot more on SS than on iStock. Did SS approve a lot more, or did you just not submit as many to iStock? I find it hard to believe you got any rejections whatsoever ;)
Steve

« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2011, 12:21 »
Quote from: asiseeit

I used to submit to SS and all the others. Looks like you're having a great day!

This is good...you have an amazing port!! I believe that a selected few, like yourself, probably have their ports bookmarked by some or many agencies so that regardless of what is going on, they will want to go back to your images...hence why your sales are keeping up.....which is ok for now. It remained to be seen if this is  sustainable through this ongoing iStock development.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:28 by cybernesco »

« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2011, 14:57 »
What is TAC at IS? Does it refer to an Agency file?

« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2011, 15:15 »
What is TAC at IS? Does it refer to an Agency file?

Yes, TAC=The Agency Collection. It's now a collection that's distributed outside iStockphoto.com as well (Getty).

« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2011, 16:23 »
First two weeks of the month ok on IS then it turned dead silent  I can't believe it only a few small photo sales a day that's all. I am a videographer there as well haven't sold a single video for over a week. So  oct was the worst month of the year there.However I experienced significant increase of sales  on SS .IS was 5 times better last month but SS caught up due to sweet EL's I had this month ,I wonder what will happen this month.

« Reply #306 on: November 01, 2011, 16:42 »
Yeah, Sean reported what the top 5 exclusives are reporting less downloads but about the same $.  No growth is a concern but how much more is Sean making at IS than his old job.  I know a top 10 exclusive who quit a $50 hour job for IS.  Good work if you can find it.   

« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2011, 17:13 »
Well, lots of admins and inspectors reporting worst month ever, I guess that rumour about admins having best match perks can be laid to rest.

Depressing thread, looks like our customers are all shopping at Shutterstock :-/

Those traffic stats are pretty accurate, it seems.

lisafx

« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2011, 17:16 »
Yeah, Sean reported what the top 5 exclusives are reporting less downloads but about the same $.  No growth is a concern but how much more is Sean making at IS than his old job.  I know a top 10 exclusive who quit a $50 hour job for IS.  Good work if you can find it.   

Sorry to say it, but that was then and this is now.  A couple of years ago it made sense to quit the day job and do stock full time, if you had the right portfolio and skill.  Today it would be insane - especially if one intended to be Istock exclusive.  The momentum and buyers are moving away from Istock.  

Anyone with a $50/hr. day job would be wise to plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2011, 18:10 »

So far today with SS

So far today with IS

$1.61

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2011, 18:24 »

So far today with SS

So far today with IS

$1.61

Hmmm. Interesting.

So is the 25-a-day subscriptions?

And the enhanced is just regular purchases? Or is that extended licenses?

Is that kind of sales volume happening every day or is today just a good day?

« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2011, 18:38 »

So far today with SS

So far today with IS

$1.61

Hmmm. Interesting.

So is the 25-a-day subscriptions?

And the enhanced is just regular purchases? Or is that extended licenses?

Is that kind of sales volume happening every day or is today just a good day?

This is 3 Enhanced X $28.00 + 9 subs X .38

I usually do get 2-3 enhanced per month. Rarely 2 on the same day. 3 on the same day happened twice before.  Overal, lately, SS and other sites are slowly filling the missing IS revenue.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 18:52 by cybernesco »

« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2011, 18:48 »
This October was not my best match (last October was), it was not the worst either.

After learning the depressing new from others, maybe I should not complain. But my income increase has not been in proportion with my portfolio growth. I did expect more.

« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2011, 19:17 »
>Cybernesco:

It seems really weird, with a +1,000 images portfolio to get so few downloads/earnings. I'm just having 15% less earnings from last October (and that without knowing October GI sales, that, in my case, normally count for 1 to three IS weekdays). And, still,  being in the group of old-timers, the more affected, exclusive or not, by the best match changes. Actually a friend of mine, with  one year at IS and about 100 photos, none of them very special, in his portfolio, is matching your numbers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 19:21 by loop »

« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2011, 19:24 »
Interestingly, so far, from the iStock October sales thread, the majority of Bronze members have reported BME or very good October sales while the majority of diamond and above members have reported WME since 2006/07/08 or very bad month.

In other words, the majority of bronze members are making more then what I made today as a gold member.

Maybe this could explain why the earning rating poll on the right is still up for IS...as the lower canister level are making it up for the  higher ones losing.

« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2011, 19:44 »
Interestingly, so far, from the iStock October sales thread, the majority of Bronze members have reported BME or very good October sales while the majority of diamond and above members have reported WME since 2006/07/08 or very bad month.

In other words, the majority of bronze members are making more then what I made today as a gold member.

Maybe this could explain why the earning rating poll on the right is still up for IS...as the lower canister level are making it up for the  higher ones losing.

It's always easy to get a BME as a bronze, when you get 5 dls this month instead of 4 last.

« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2011, 19:52 »

It's always easy to get a BME as a bronze, when you get 5 dls this month instead of 4 last.

Of course, but matching the results of a +1,000 files portfolio with a no-better 100 files portfolio is another matter.

Slovenian

« Reply #317 on: November 01, 2011, 19:57 »
Well, lots of admins and inspectors reporting worst month ever, I guess that rumour about admins having best match perks can be laid to rest.

Or that's just the directive they got lol. I surely won't fall for that ;)

Slovenian

« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2011, 20:02 »

Of course, but matching the results of a +1,000 files portfolio with a no-better 100 files portfolio is another matter.

That's just his assumption, not a fact ;)

« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2011, 20:17 »

This is exacly my point

« Reply #320 on: November 04, 2011, 20:25 »
Hi Steve,

Yes, We got many rejections from Istock where the other sites took about 98%. We are just now redoing the small details that did not meet the QC needs at Istock and re-subitting. They are passing the second time through, most were to do with things like name tags we created to make shots more authentic we have gone in and removed the fake hospital names to meet Istocks requirements.
 Mostly quick fixes but I haven't had the man power to get it done until now, we have been pretty busy these past two years building the agency. They seem to be passing so hopefully I will see sales things stabilize or possibly even grow, we have another 1500 images to add. It also has to do with the limit per week they put on non-exclusives we can only submit 30 a week. The concern I have is that compared to the other top agencies that represent my work Istock is the one that is showing big drops this year, others have actually shown better months than last years.
 We are happy to have an Istock contract and would love to see the sales their grow but just to try every opportunity out there we are investing our shoot time right now towards TAC. I have seen several that have sold for $500 dollars already but it is to early to say what the RPI or the sell through rate is going to look like. Actually, I broke my foot a couple of weeks ago so we aren't shooting anything right now, but once I get back on my feet we will continue to add to our TAC imagery. I'll keep you posted on sales as they start to come in.

Best,
Jonathan
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 20:30 by Jonathan Ross »

« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2011, 06:41 »
Shutterstock has gone up it seems but has the same low "per-item" commission. Fotolia is about equal and DT seems to go a little below (Probably because of the upload limit they have there)
What are your experiences..And explanations...

lol...
I've been start to drop since you started to mass produce the images  ;)

« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2011, 18:41 »
Cheers Tom.  Have u guys noticed sales dropping at iStock?  :D

« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01 »
Hi...if you are a videographer and are looking to increase your sales, please let me introduce myself.  My name is Tom Spota and I am the Director of Video Acquisition at Shutterstock Footage (http://footage.shutterstock.com/).  If you are an existing videographer with a large collection of clips that youre ready to upload for review, we want to simplify that process for you. If you plan to upload 500 or more clips, email us at [email protected] and let us know how many clips you have and what type of content it is (business, lifestyle, animation, etc.). If you have a link to your work online, please provide it.  Based on the nature of your request, we may be able to provide some submission assistance.

We would love to help you increase your sales!   ;)

Hi Tom!

Nice timing :).