MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Catalog Manager - New toys for the contributer  (Read 12366 times)

« on: October 06, 2011, 14:59 »
Shutterstock just released a new toy for us, Catalog Manager

In short, it lets you create collections that you can share with buyers (and it automatically includes a referral link), watch your earnings on that set, or lets you easily edit image details from the set.  nice.

and on their blog a little more news
http://buzz.shutterstock.com/new-catalog-manager
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 15:00 by leaf »

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 16:04 »
Finally I can check earnings from vectors and photos separately.
It's great that there are the sites that put their effort into something useful instead of fighting with contributors.

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 16:16 »
It's a great tool, really!

I see a lot of possible uses:
1. to check earnings from a session, a trip;
2. to share earnings with a model (I know most photographers don't do that, but I don't usually do people photography and my only models are my friends, it's nice to share something with them);
3. to check total earnings from a category (e.g. architecture, food, ...)

Wish list:
- automatically add new pictures to a set based on a specific keyword
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 16:18 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 17:01 »
really cool stuff, SS keep on surprising us :)

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 17:12 »
Nice tool. Would be cool if published collections were searchable for buyers (maybe need to add a few keywords to a collection, then it would automatically show in a search for those).

RacePhoto

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 18:02 »
This is so cool.  I can't wait to play with it. 

I find the limit of five a good thing, or I may be caught up making sets until 2AM.  :)

Is this cool? YES = Catalog Manager

I did, best sellers "top ten photos", Illustrations, Cars, Food and Drink. The interesting part was when I did the tracking and looked at where the income was coming from. Unfortunately having some ELs where one image sold once, kind of makes it look better than it is. While something with 100+ downloads doesn't earn as much income. But that's the way "most popular" works. Tracking earnings by sets is a nice idea.

Please SS make an exclusive RF artist agreement so I can give up on all the rest.

lthn

This user is banned.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 18:12 »
A bit buggy for me, a whole page worth of new uploads do not show in the manager. Also would be nice, and probably pretty simple to implement: earnings by model. A little app would easily sort it out from the attached model releases... or just sorting pics by model release, so we can make sets.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 18:15 »
You can track up to 5 sets on your stats page but you can make more sets for your port and can track them from the Catalog Manager.

I find that it works better in Firefox than IE unless you're in Firefox then ignore this sentence :p

Batman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 20:29 »
A bit buggy for me, a whole page worth of new uploads do not show in the manager. Also would be nice, and probably pretty simple to implement: earnings by model. A little app would easily sort it out from the attached model releases... or just sorting pics by model release, so we can make sets.

Do you like anything.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 21:30 »
We can't deny Shutterstock is always one step ahead.

It seems so easy and intuitive to use, eager to start working with this!! :)

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 22:04 »
It's a great start.  I can see a bunch of enhancements, like filtering by model release so I can create per-shoot or per-model sets, and filtering just images that aren't in a set yet.  But it gives me answers that would have taken a lot of work before.  One more reason to like Shutterstock (other than the facts that they make me money and don't tick me off).

Ed

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 22:32 »
I saw this and my initial impression was "cool - I want to make a new catalog for each model I have so I can promote them in every situation that i've photographed them in"...and then I realized I'm limited to 5 options.  I need to figure out how to best optimize the opportunity - I think some thinking is required over the weekend.

rinderart

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 00:22 »
Excellent.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 00:44 »
I saw this and my initial impression was "cool - I want to make a new catalog for each model I have so I can promote them in every situation that i've photographed them in"...and then I realized I'm limited to 5 options.  I need to figure out how to best optimize the opportunity - I think some thinking is required over the weekend.

You can only have 5 on your tracking page, but you can have a lot more defined within the Catalog Manager.  I'm thinking I'll define a whole bunch of sets and then change the five I track periodically based on which ones generate the most income.

ayzek

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01 »
Really like that.
Also needs sets filter. images in sets should be sets color or thicked while you are looking whole catalog.

lthn

This user is banned.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:38 »

Do you like anything.

Why are you so negative? I do like this.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 03:45 »
We can't deny Shutterstock is always one step ahead.

It seems so easy and intuitive to use, eager to start working with this!! :)
+1

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:48 »

Do you like anything.

Why are you so negative? I do like this.

I agree, earnings by model sorting would be really great to have.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 04:55 »
very nice! SS will be the industry leader in no time.

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10 »
I like it a lot. Very useful to see which keywords are used for finding your images.
I actually like it just for the fact it shows what are your strongest selling images put in categories. I always suspected mine were Christmas and seasonal images! Guess that's why I always have a huge jump in sales from Sept to Dec.

Carl

• Carl Stewart, CS Productions
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22 »
This is one sweet piece of programming!  I'm finding it very useful!   :)

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 09:22 »
SS rules, as usual.

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:02 »
Looks neat.  I wish IS would get its act together.

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08 »
Yes, SS contributors get the world map, the catalog manager - I wish istock offered us tools like that.

I also wish istock came up with them first... :-[