pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How do I check an EPS file version (to be 10)  (Read 23772 times)

« on: October 10, 2011, 07:21 »
Anyone knows how do I check the actual version of an EPS file?

I'm saving eps's from CS5, but after 20 files I'm getting really tired saving as eps v10 (I have to pull down the combo box to select v10) and after some time happens that I forgot to pull down the combo.
Is there a way to check the version without installing AI 10? In the metadata there is written CS5 (since this is the software from where is saved).

At agencies how they check the file version?

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 19:10 »
Interesting question. I don't know how the agencies do it, but here is one way.

-Open Notepad (or other plain text editor)
-Drag the .eps file into it.
-If it is an eps 8 file, you will see a line like this in the top few lines of the file (probably the second line):
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 8.0
-If it is an eps 10 file you will see a line something like this (maybe the third line):
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 13.0

AI files are more complicated.
Maybe other people know of better ways to do this.

Noodles

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 22:07 »
I'm saving eps's from CS5, but after 20 files I'm getting really tired saving as eps v10 (I have to pull down the combo box to select v10) and after some time happens that I forgot to pull down the combo.

If you create an Action you can let Illustrator do all that work for you. Even better, you can include in the Action other functions such as, deleting all unused colours, brushes, symbols and styles. Another option would be to get the Action to check for Open paths and such things but that might require some scripting.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09 »
@Noodles
I tried the action thing but for the Save As... command remembers the whole path and filename, and it doesn's save the EPS save dialog parameters. Too bad, this is the most important thing I want...
I'm checking the open paths inside the "Document Info" panel, bitmaps at the "Links" panel... Is there an one-click solution or this is the way?

@michaeldb
Viewing works fine with Total Cmd... It seems to me that %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 8.0 is written only for the v8, above v8 the actual version is written. So I guess you have CS3, this is why you posted %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 13.0. I analyzed an EPS coming from CS5, there is %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 15.0. This EPS is supposed to be V10-compatible.

Noodles

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56 »
that's a shame - must admit I haven't tried it myself, I just figured it was possible

I use Vector Inspector for open paths and such. Its free I think, don't have a link handy but google will find it. It installs as an Extension in your Window Menu.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 20:41 »
So I guess you have CS3, this is why you posted %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 13.0. I analyzed an EPS coming from CS5, there is %%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 15.0. This EPS is supposed to be V10-compatible.
You are right, I do have CS3. You know more about this than I do. It is an interesting subject. As you said, agencies have software to read the files and determine what version the file is compatible with. I wonder what that software is and where they get it. If you find out, please let me know.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28 »

-If it is an eps 8 file, you will see a line like this in the top few lines of the file (probably the second line):
-If it is an eps 10 file you will see a line something like this (maybe the third line):

Thank you very very much.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48 »

Thank you very very much.

That's the only way that I know how to do it ...

I've actually wondered for quite a while if there were a way to set eps10 and the other requirements for submitting to Microstock. Maybe I'll bug someone, I've got a couple friends that might be able to help ...

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:40 »

You can also check for the following (should also be at top), which is independent of the AI version used to make the EPS:

EPS8:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

EPS10:
%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0

Theoretically, you could also search the EPS for specific PostScript commands to determine which, if any, EPS10-only features are being used - i.e. could the EPS10 be converted to EPS8/SVG/etc. without losing anything - but I haven't dug too deeply into that.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:48 »

You can also check for the following (should also be at top), which is independent of the AI version used to make the EPS:

EPS8:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

EPS10:
%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0

Theoretically, you could also search the EPS for specific PostScript commands to determine which, if any, EPS10-only features are being used - i.e. could the EPS10 be converted to EPS8/SVG/etc. without losing anything - but I haven't dug too deeply into that.

That would probably let rasterized effects and images pass though :/ I launched a message to someone last night to see if there were a way to automate the process ... If there is I'll definitely share it.

fujiko

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15 »

EPS8:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

EPS10:
%!PS-Adobe-3.1 EPSF-3.0

That would probably let rasterized effects and images pass though :/ I launched a message to someone last night to see if there were a way to automate the process ... If there is I'll definitely share it.

For embedded images and rasterized effects, look for this text on the eps file:
%%BeginBinary

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 15:07 »
that's a shame - must admit I haven't tried it myself, I just figured it was possible

I use Vector Inspector for open paths and such. Its free I think, don't have a link handy but google will find it. It installs as an Extension in your Window Menu.

Unfortunately Vector Inspector does not work in the new Adobe Illustrator CC 2017. They are making a new plugin now - Vector Inspector Pro http://roman-volkov.blogspot.com/2017/07/vector-inspector-donate.html
You can free download the demo version. Development is not over yet.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22 »
+3
Is this thread going to be resurrected every couple of years? Even my vintage wine is younger than this thread.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 15:18 »
Is this thread going to be resurrected every couple of years? Even my vintage wine is younger than this thread.

It would not have been resurrected without this joke. Thanks  ;D
Now a dialogue can begin here.