pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Leica M9 and S2 !!  (Read 4264 times)

lagereek

« on: October 13, 2011, 05:14 »
Tried them out in the studio last night and outdoors this whole morning. My God!!  the quality is incredible! Iva had many film-Leicas in the past and ofcourse they are reknowned for quality but these digital marvels,  incredible.

I am getting one of them, just dont know which one, Ive always had a soft spot for the M-series but this S2, is something else.

Anybody else, used these two or one of them?

best.

RT

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:50 »
The S2 is three times the price of the M9 and twice the resolution, and they are both designed for different usages, buy the one that meets the type of camera you want. It's a bit like saying which car should I buy a Range Rover or a Ferrari.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:12 »
I have the M9 and I love it.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:13 »
They both look like great cameras but the price tag puts me off.  There really doesn't seem to be a full frame alternative to the M9 and that would be the one that I would most want.  There's cheaper alternatives to the S2, like the Pentax 645D.  I really don't like investing too much in a digital camera because I think that I would only use it for a few years before something much better comes along.

Noodles

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29 »
The S2 is a superb camera with lens to die for. I can't justify buying one, but if I could, I would.

Luminous Landscape has reviewed it.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:31 »
Hi Christian,

using Leica M9 I'm satisfied, especially camera's simplicity and small body. Unfortunately I have the lowest series M-lens, thats why I get some rejection "Lightning could be improved", when I barrow Higher Series M-lens from my friend I find out there is a huge different!

Regards,

Kalevi

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:34 »
I've never heard of the lens affecting the lighting. I've had pictures accepted that were taken with a 70 year old Cooke Triplet lens - about the crudest lens formula you can get.

grp_photo

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:42 »
They both look like great cameras but the price tag puts me off.  There really doesn't seem to be a full frame alternative to the M9 and that would be the one that I would most want.  There's cheaper alternatives to the S2, like the Pentax 645D.  I really don't like investing too much in a digital camera because I think that I would only use it for a few years before something much better comes along.
The S2 has fully functional central shutters which is great. I also loved their choice of the first three primes in their series. But I have ten lenses of the 645-system and would therefore love to buy a 645D but even with the lower price-tag compared to other medium format cameras is the price still hefty and hard to justify for me. I'm working hard so hopefully I can afford it next year.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:37 by grp_photo »

lagereek

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21 »
Hi Christian,

using Leica M9 I'm satisfied, especially camera's simplicity and small body. Unfortunately I have the lowest series M-lens, thats why I get some rejection "Lightning could be improved", when I barrow Higher Series M-lens from my friend I find out there is a huge different!

Regards,

Kalevi

Yes the M9s simplicity, is attractive, its an easy camera and a great carry around piece, thats why I used some Leicas in the filmdays. Im drawn to the Leica S2s central shutter and the lenses are simply the best, even better then the Zeiss, sharpness and contrast.

best Christian