pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X announced  (Read 38430 times)

« on: October 18, 2011, 02:51 »
It looks like the rumors were pretty spot on

1D/1Ds line is merged into one 1D X line
    Full Frame
    18mp
    12 fps
    61 AF Points
    New Battery
    Available in March

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101810canoneos1dx.asp
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:04 by leaf »

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:58 »
It says estimated retail price 6800 $

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05 »
It says estimated retail price 6800 $

Whoops, sorry, yeah - forgot to include that.  I just copied the rumor info (which was correct) from the other thread.

Still no built in GPS though :(  You have to buy an add-on

The EOS-1D X also offers an optional Canon GP-E1 GPS Receiver*, which can be easily integrated into the cameras body.  Powered by the camera, this GPS receiver provides the same weatherproof resistance as the EOS-1D X, even at the connector. With an electronic compass on-board, the GP-E1 will log movement latitude, longitude, elevation, and the Universal Time Code and allow viewing of camera movement on a PC after shooting.  The receiver will also record camera direction when shooting, even when shooting vertically.

Slovenian

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44 »
5D2 is a better camera for MS. That being said, it's an awesome PJ machine;). Can't wait to see ISO samples and to try the new AF etc, but I'm sure it's gonna take a while before I get my hands on a demo camera

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:30 »
If the iso performance will be spectacularly good, I will seriously consider buying it.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56 »
okay looks like I was wrong, I didn't think they'd merge the lines with only a 18MP camera.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:58 »
Real shame it doesn't get past the 21MP mark, which isn't really that critical except here...

Still it wouldn't surprise me if the 5D3 ends up getting a different sensor with higher MP.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15 »
Real shame it doesn't get past the 21MP mark, which isn't really that critical except here...

Still it wouldn't surprise me if the 5D3 ends up getting a different sensor with higher MP.

Yeah, it seems like the MP race has come to an end.  The Canon G Series cameras also took a MegaPixel reduction.  the G10 was 14.7MP and the G11 and G12 are both only 10MP

For microstock though, where buyers pay per pixel, it is nice to have lots of pixels to sell.  It sure is nice (perhaps critical) to be able to easily reach the top of the microstock size scale

Here is iStock sizes
Medium 1200x1600 1.9200 MP
Large 1920x2560 4.9152 MP
XLarge 2800x4200 11.760 MP
XXLarge 3300x4900 16.170 MP
XXXLarge 3700x5600 20.720 MP

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:21 »

Speed freaks probably won't care much about the MP.

The 5D3 will probably have a slight increase in FPS with a larger sensor. But most of the rumors are pointing to 28MP which, if true, is way off from the upcoming D800.

Canon seems to be banking on Canon loyalists buying this 1DX. It has some nice features but again, almost $7K? Seems like the majority of photographers, maybe minus the elite, are taking a beating on earnings. Is this a big enough upgrade to get 1D owners to drop $7K? I wonder how many will just stick with what they have. I also wonder how many are starting to eye alternatives like the Sony SLT-A77 that may not be as good but "good enough" for $5K less.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:38 »

The 5D3 will probably have a slight increase in FPS with a larger sensor. But most of the rumors are pointing to 28MP which, if true, is way off from the upcoming D800.

Canon seems to be banking on Canon loyalists buying this 1DX. It has some nice features but again, almost $7K? Seems like the majority of photographers, maybe minus the elite, are taking a beating on earnings. Is this a big enough upgrade to get 1D owners to drop $7K? I wonder how many will just stick with what they have. I also wonder how many are starting to eye alternatives like the Sony SLT-A77 that may not be as good but "good enough" for $5K less.

I think the strategy may well be just as much about video - to push those that are currently using the 5D2 to the 1D-X because its going to give them the best high ISO video. 3 Stops more high ISO is a pretty big difference if you're shooting video at night.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:58 »

I think the strategy may well be just as much about video - to push those that are currently using the 5D2 to the 1D-X because its going to give them the best high ISO video. 3 Stops more high ISO is a pretty big difference if you're shooting video at night.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.  I would seem logical that Canon would want to move their 5D cult following to the 1D series body.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 06:18 »
   I believe that Canon combined the 1D with 1Ds because of the 5D series... the sales for 1Ds have gone down seriously because of the 5Dmk2. In those condition was no longer profitable/justify to have two flagships (1D and 1DS). They combine the two different cameras in one with excellent IQ, shutter speed and video capabilities which can be used in sport and in the studio.
   The new 5D will be the fashion, studio, microstock camera from now on.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:22 by nicku »

Ed

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 07:25 »
Sounds perfect.  I will more than likely be getting at least one in the next year.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:52 »
considering the price and the price of a medium format Pentax 645D

.. I think I might be tempted to go the Pentax route, depsite being a big Canon fan.  I can see applications where the Canon would be better, but for microstock I'm starting to think the Pentax may be a nice fit.

Ed

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18 »
Leaf, I've had my eye on the same Pentax.  If you look around, you'll find reviews aren't that great for that body.  I've decided against it - I don't want to invest in a new system if it's not going to perform.  It would be a very expensive mistake.

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24 »
Leaf, I've had my eye on the same Pentax.  If you look around, you'll find reviews aren't that great for that body.  I've decided against it - I don't want to invest in a new system if it's not going to perform.  It would be a very expensive mistake.

I guess I have more research to do.  I just started considering that camera today after reading a good review for it :)  I'll have to look for some of the bad ones

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46 »

I guess I have more research to do.  I just started considering that camera today after reading a good review for it :)  I'll have to look for some of the bad ones

If you're going to spend around 10k, how about this one? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823183-REG/Mamiya_020_00928A_DM_Series_28Mp_DSLR_Camera.html

28 MP is overkill for microstock anyway, and I'd take Mamiya over Pentax anytime.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31 »
Not for my pocket. I wouldn't get any stable image knowing I have a 7k+ equipment in my hands. :)

Calumet' announcement:
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/pages/3333518.cfm?cal

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 15:45 »
What is it about it that will let you do something better than you are able to do already?

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 17:45 »
For instance, let's say that you have a niche and you often shoot with available light, because you go to places where you can't take your studio strobes, and also you need to "catch the perfect moment". Shooting real people, not models - as an example. Here, very good high iso performance, the latest AF system and the 12 fps will certainly help.
If this camera will have 5d2 iso 800 quality at iso 3200, it's a win.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 17:48 »
Yeah, I get that. I can see the advantage for an event photographer/newshound. It's the rest of us (and Mat in particular, though I know he does some events) I am wondering about. It's a lot of money to justify spending.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29 »
Yeah, I get that. I can see the advantage for an event photographer/newshound. It's the rest of us (and Mat in particular, though I know he does some events) I am wondering about. It's a lot of money to justify spending.

Since I lavished an unthinkable sum on the 1Ds Mk III shortly after its launch I've become accustomed to getting just about every frame in perfect focus in just about any circumstances, including big apertures using peripheral focus points. (The exception is irregularly moving subjects, but try those with a 5D.)

Over three years and well over 100,000 frames, I reckon I have easily enough money shots that would have been missed to justify the cost of the camera.

Thinking along those lines, I was sure I'd buy the new 1Ds. Trouble is, this isn't it. Losing the XXXL size on iStock could be a big deal if the best match has a size factor.

On the other hand, the Mk III's high-ISO performance is not exactly stellar, so if the X is brilliant there it could cancel out any loss of revenue from the smaller maximum size.

Decisions, decisions...

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 02:13 »

I shoot quite a few concerts so this is pretty much my dream camera.  I am spoiled with the 1D Mark III with a 10fps bursts I get shots that I would more than likely miss with a slower camera.  With the even faster X I won't have to sacrifice the speed for the size and quality.  The size of the images will bump me into the XXL range at FT.  The insane ISO range will also help with the many low light scenarios I find myself in.  The new imaging sensor sounds extremely promising to me as I have found most every image I run noise reduction software through gets rejected at SS so hopefully that need will be eliminated as well. 

I love the images produced with 5D cameras.  I love them.  I just shot a wedding with a 5D as my backup and realized there is no way I could shoot with it on a regular basis.  It just feels too fragile to me.  I am so hard on my gear that I would be shocked if a 5D lasted in my arsenal more than a year.  The 1D super strong body is essential for me.  Plus I live in sunny Seattle so weather sealed is essential.  This camera sounds to me like it will exceed the 5D in image quality and have all the essentials I need for my personal shooting style.  I'm well over 100,000 clicks on my Mark III and I am overdue for an upgrade.  Anything besides this new beast for me personally would be a step backwards.

That being said, it is more money that I hoped it would be.  I was expecting a 5K price tag so there was a definite lump in my throat when I called the camera store this morning.

Mat