pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Dream software  (Read 6743 times)

microstockphoto.co.uk

« on: October 20, 2011, 02:07 »
I need a software that:

1. compares my local picture database with all pictures on the 20+ sites I am submitting to, regardless of different sizes and file names;

2. automatically uploads pictures that I never uploaded to any specific site;

3. lists rejected pictures, with rejection reason (if still available on site) and puts them in a special folder for correction, and automatically reuploads after correction; even better, it should automatically apply easy corrections such as noise reduction, curve adjustments, keywords and reupload with a note to reviewers;

4. automatically uploads pictures to every new site that pops up, not before presenting me an analysis of their tos, prices, percentages and asking for approval;

5. automatically keywords my new pictures using visual analysis and geo-tagging;

It's nothing impossible: it only requires combining visual search and cloud computing with existing microstock services.

PS: I forgot to mention, it should be free ;D but a reasonable fee will do

Am I asking too much? If I am, please note that I am asking for a noble reason: so that we can return to being photographers, not IT clerks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:30 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54 »
You are asking for a software what will take many months of hard work and what will be free. :D
You know, a programmers are just human beings, they unfortunately need to live somewhere, pay bills, eat something, etc.
May be, when there will be some kind of superhumans, they will make such software and make it free.
But in a real world, such software will cost alot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:55 by Niakris »

fujiko

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:26 »
Yes, you are asking too much.

Maybe if you offered the programmer a free non-exclusive worldwide license to sub-license your images it may cover the costs.

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:38 »
On the "free" part I was joking of course.

I have some basic programming skills in simpler languages such as VB, JS, TurboPascal and know perfectly that this will require a REAL programmer with much more advanced skills, and months of work

But I will gladly buy such software if it existed.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:01 »
Do you understand what you require a programmer to spend months of his work time without getting anything in return and without any guarantees what he will get enough users for such software to cover all costs?

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19 »
You're absolutely right, but you're taking me too seriously. It was more a long-term wish than an actual request.

I am confident that sooner or later (maybe 30 years from now) things will work like that, with all boring tasks automated.
It doesn't necessary require a single programmer's work, but a slow evolution in computer software. The need for image-related technologies is much wider than just microstock.

I changed title from "I need a software" to "Dream software" now, to put things in perspective.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:32 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

michealo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:29 »
I can imagine the savaging a programmer would get for coming on here looking for a free photo ....

fotorob

• Professional stock content producer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44 »
What comes closest to your wishes might bei picworkflow.com, though it is definitely missing the "compare agencies" part for images not uploaded via their system.

The big problem is that many sites restrict scraping of data for security reasons, some have also CAPTCHAs (like Shutterstock oder 123rf) that prevents machines from gathering your information in the first place.

Best regards,
Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:04 »

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:14 »
It doesn't necessary require a single programmer's work, but a slow evolution in computer software.
Software (in its current form and for the foreseeable future) doesn't evolve, but it is written. Life evolved from the primordial soup (amino acids) into the first self-replicating protocells in about 1 billion (800 million) years by a process of countless trials and errors. Not so with software as we know it. Human effort, time and creativity involved in coding/testing has a price, and if you pay for peanuts you'll get monkeys (unless you buy by subscription)  ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38 »
Well, many of your wishes will be taken into account in development of future major releases of StockSubmitter application.
But you gotta agree what it is a long process and it will take much time to get at least somewhat close to your dreams :)

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:05 »
Thanks! Since mine was more a wishlist than an actual request, I didn't expect any quick solution. The fact that someone involved in an actual product is taking this into account is already more than I expected.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 15:08 »
Or another option, is someone create a site software that all photographers can use to sell their photos directly.  The software would also have an API built in so that sites who are interested in selling those images can automatically get all those images onto their sites. So if a site is interested in selling my images they come to me and we work out a deal or I come to them offering them my images.

In my back end I see which sites are using my API and selling my images.  To get images on a new site it wouldn't require any work for me nor the agency other than saying OK.