MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Photodune, Thoughts?  (Read 75077 times)

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2011, 21:50 »
I use FTP with filezilla. After upload goto their page, click button to process images, after a few minutes click view all, then submit.  Without model releases, its fairly painless.  Make sure you set filezilla (or other FTP program) to upload to bulk_import/photos, otherwise they just disappear.

lee

I often find FTP to be a problem due to issues with my ISP, and I'm not submitting large numbers of images so I'd rather use the web form.  

Why not just "select files" and "upload" like, well, every other microstock?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 00:15 by stockastic »

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52 »
As i'm actually travelling to shoot microstock pictures, I managed to upload some new pictures from internet wifi by using Picworkflow, for all other sites it's working as usual but i really don't understand where to find my uploaded pictures on Photodune!!! I look every pages and don't find my 5 pictures, don't tell me it's gonna be the same painful story again!!!
So where can i find the uploaded pictures???

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06 »
Try go to "dashboard" then "upload" then if i remember right it will start processing or ask you to process your ftp items..

« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46 »
Ok, thank you so much!! The menus on pages are so confuse on this site!!!

joshsprague

• I work at Envato! How can I help?
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2011, 19:45 »
Hello there!  I wanted to take a quick moment to try and answer some recurring questions showing up throughout this thread.

IPTC
As to the question regarding IPTC data for PhotoDune, If you are using the manual upload option found under your PhotoDune Dashboard, then all you will need to do is add a title, upload the image, choose the image from the "main" dropdown then click submit.  Your image will begin to process, then the resulting page will show with all your IPTC data present.

See here for more info -
http://photodune.net/upload/help?type=misc

Now if you are using our FTP upload option, read this page for more info. Basically, all your IPTC data including the title will be pulled in automatically.
http://photodune.net/wiki/selling/upload-instructions/photodune-ftp-upload/

Keywords
As for Keywords, we ask that you provide a minimum of 15 and a max of 50.

Titles
At PhotoDune We ask that your titles have the first letter of major words capitalized.  This is mainly because they look more professional, and is also considered a SEO best practice.  Please note, this is really more of a recomendation rather than a rule. You should not have any problem with rejections due to not following this suggestion.

Hopefully this helps a bit.  We value your feedback and are working hard to improve the user experience at PhotoDune!

If you have any other questions please let me know.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:48 by joshsprague »

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2011, 21:43 »
So to submit via the web form we'd need to upload just one at a time, and type in the title - but if we submit by FTP the titles come from the IPTC?

joshsprague

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2011, 22:50 »
So to submit via the web form we'd need to upload just one at a time, and type in the title - but if we submit by FTP the titles come from the IPTC?

Hi stockastic, that's a great question.  So you can actually upload more than one at a time by simply holding down ctrl/command and select as many as you would like and it will upload them all.  The problem is though that you can still only submit one at a time for processing so this system is not ideal for someone with many photos.  Please note, we are aware that this is not an ideal way of doing things and are working on bettering our system.

So to be clear, ftp is a much better way in in my opinion for sure.  Does that help?

« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2011, 06:41 »
I'm having no problems with PhotoDune for photos but it seems a shame that I can't upload any graphics/illustrations/vectors.  I did the test for GraphicRiver but the really low prices and complicated upload procedure totally put me off.  There's no motivation to spend hours uploading for much less than I make with other sites.

If there were higher prices and images were easy to upload, like with most of the other sites I use, I'm sure GraphicRiver would get millions of extra images from us.  That brings in more buyers and stops them looking elsewhere.  I think this needs to be addressed.  I'm pleased to see the commission increase but this is another big issue that will hinder the growth of both sites.

« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2011, 07:54 »
The 5 pictures have uploaded with pickworkflow need a model release, i've not found the possibility to add it, i've found on the ftp a folder named release, put my release inside, but now i can not attach the release with my pictures, why is it so complicated?? Don't you planing to put an option to upload the release when editing pictures?? What can i do now?? I have to upload the pictures again?? So it's not possible to use pickworkflow for released pictures?? ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:56 by Smithore »

« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10 »
I'm still not clear about commissions.  Previous posts say 25%,  but the Photodune site currently seems to say 33%.  Just about all of my photos would only be "Large" on Photodune, so 33% of $5 would be $1.65,  25% would be $1.25.   Is 33% the right figure.

I guess it's moot because either figure is too low for me, for a site producing only occasional sales.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:31 by stockastic »

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2011, 12:56 »
I'm still not clear about commissions.  Previous posts say 25%,  but the Photodune site currently seems to say 33%.  Just about all of my photos would only be "Large" on Photodune, so 33% of $5 would be $1.65,  25% would be $1.25.   Is 33% the right figure.

I guess it's moot because either figure is too low for me, for a site producing only occasional sales.  

It was 25% when they started, but now it is 33%.

See official announcement here:
http://www.microstockgroup.com/photodune/photodune-non-ex-rate-increase-from-25-to-33/

« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2011, 13:41 »

http://www.microstockgroup.com/photodune/photodune-non-ex-rate-increase-from-25-to-33/

Thanks for the clarification.

So - are we really so eager to undercut new sites like GL,  which pays double that amount? 

joshsprague

« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2011, 13:59 »
The 5 pictures have uploaded with pickworkflow need a model release, i've not found the possibility to add it, i've found on the ftp a folder named release, put my release inside, but now i can not attach the release with my pictures, why is it so complicated?? Don't you planing to put an option to upload the release when editing pictures?? What can i do now?? I have to upload the pictures again?? So it's not possible to use pickworkflow for released pictures?? ::)

Hi Smithore!  Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I am not familiar with pickworkflow so I may not understand completely understand the issue.  If pickworkflow will allow you to add images to the bulk_imports>photos folder and then MRs to the bulk_imports>photos>model_releases folder then you should be fine.  Please note however that these must be added at the same time.  Currently, the process at PhotoDune is that when you process the images, the model releases that are in the model_releases folder will be attached automatically to the any photo in the bulk_imports>photos folder.

Now, as to adding the MR to a soft rejected image, you simply need to select the image then choose edit.  from there you can upload the MR and attach it, then resubmit it for review.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will attempt to explain further :)

« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2011, 16:19 »

So - are we really so eager to undercut new sites like GL,  which pays double that amount? 

true but there is no comparison between them, I am talking about buyers/sales

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2011, 17:19 »

true but there is no comparison between them, I am talking about buyers/sales

It's the amount of money you get in the end, that matters. I'll take the monthly payout and 100+ sales at Photodune over 3 sales / year at GL anytime.

« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2011, 17:32 »
Don't overlook the 20 cents I've made in 2 years at CC.   :-)

I made a payout at GL pretty quickly.  But after a great first couple of months,  it all but ended.  Same thing could happen here - after your photos have made their pass through the "new" page, and too many others have gotten on board.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 18:12 by stockastic »

Microbius

« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2011, 07:21 »
Does photodune only take 30 keywords? I know that Graphic River does and it's a big PITA to have to strip out the keywords up to 50. Again, it would really help with time taken to upload if it was in line with the other sites.

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03 »
Does photodune only take 30 keywords? I know that Graphic River does and it's a big PITA to have to strip out the keywords up to 50. Again, it would really help with time taken to upload if it was in line with the other sites.

hey microbius,

They actually take 50 but state 30 somewhere on their site. When you have to edit an image due to too many keywords, it makes you take out anything over 50.

Microbius

« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2011, 09:06 »
thanks, good to know they've changed it!

joshsprague

« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2011, 16:05 »

Hi Microbius!  Thanks for taking the time to give PhotoDune a chance to sell your photos :)  Any keywords beyond 50 will require your attention before proceeding.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:13 by joshsprague »

RT

« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2011, 18:09 »
@ joshsprague

What's happening with the FTP, I uploaded over 1200 files over the weekend and none of them are showing up in my author dashboard.

joshsprague

« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2011, 18:25 »
@ joshsprague

What's happening with the FTP, I uploaded over 1200 files over the weekend and none of them are showing up in my author dashboard.

Oh man!  Can you give me your PhotoDune username so I can take a look? You are uploading them to the "bulk_import" folder correct?

RT

« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2011, 19:09 »
@ joshsprague

Oh man!  Can you give me your PhotoDune username so I can take a look? You are uploading them to the "bulk_import" folder correct?

Thanks for getting back - Yes uploaded to bulk import as before, sent you a PM.

« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2011, 11:52 »
It would be nice if PhotoDune showed numbers of 'views'.

« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02 »
I only today had my first pics approved, but assumed "clickthroughs" would be views... if its not what is the clickthroughs then?