MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: PhotoDune Non-ex Rate Increase from 25% to 33%  (Read 41939 times)

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 23:16 »
This is great news, but I am still conflicted.

Did I miss it or has the extended license pricing still not been addressed?

Also, everyone take note that an XXL is only $7 on Photodune.  Their prices are way too low and WILL affect your earnings at other agencies.    Photodune will become a significant agency, they are very successful in other segments.  Now is the time to discuss it.

You can opt of Els. El prices are way too low. If someone really wants an EL of your image they'll have to buy it elsewhere.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 23:34 »
Non-exclusive rates up from 25% to 33%. This will be the fourth rate increase in our five year history!

That's good news collis. Do you honestly think 33% is a fair rate? Where does the other 67% of profits go? Can non-exclusive contributors expect to get 50% of every sale in about 5 more years?

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 00:52 »
Thank you Collis

This was a smart move. I am sure Envato will soon realize that they will gain as much, if not more, from this decision as the contributors. Now the next thing that we (or some of us at least) will constantly remind you is the prices that is still too low - but lets leave that for a moment ;) 

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 01:14 »
I am happy to see your announcement. I tried to upload my portfolio samples after passing your author quiz. I used FTP, saw the uploaded zip in the portfolio submission page, selected it, wrote a note, checked the box and when I submitted it got a 405 "not allowed" error.

Your portfolio approval process is more cumbersome than any site out there. I don't really know why it doesn't work, but if you can fix it, I'll happily go back and try again.

If I'm going to get 2,000 files uploaded the system needs to work. If now isn't a good time because you're working on the site, I'll hold off until that's done.

ETA: In fairly short order I received an e-mail that my samples had been received - so perhaps the error message was harmless. then I just received a note that I've been approved. I'll try a batch via FTP and see how things are working. If someone went in to fix this, many thanks.

I also got the same 405 error message and hope that's just 'by design'..  ;)

ayzek

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 02:48 »
Good news.
Between XL to XXL size is to much why dont you make your XXL size to 20MP.
My portfolio rendered for istock XXL size which is 20MP if i send them to PD they all will be XL which is 7$.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53 »
I'm trying to submit and there is a note on the bottom right of the page saying do not use Winzip to make zip file. Maybe you should say what programs work. Any hints ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:11 by qwerty »

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 03:24 »
I'm trying to submit and there is a note on the bottom right of the page saying do not use Winzip to make zip file. Maybe you should say what programs work. Any hints ?
I used Winzip and it worked. Got my submission reviewed and got accepted within minutes.

wut

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 05:18 »
This raise is a step in the right direction, but 33% is still too low to bring in contributors on a larger scale, myself included. I don't want to be rude, but I really can't imagine how it's possible you have 95% of exclusive photographers, when other, a lot bigger sites that sell a lot more and have higher prices have 95% of non-exclusive (I just read yesterday IS has only 5k exclusives)

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40 »
This raise is a step in the right direction, but 33% is still too low to bring in contributors on a larger scale, myself included. I don't want to be rude, but I really can't imagine how it's possible you have 95% of exclusive photographers, when other, a lot bigger sites that sell a lot more and have higher prices have 95% of non-exclusive (I just read yesterday IS has only 5k exclusives)

No, not 95% of photographers are exclusive. He's said in his blog "Here on our marketplaces, the vast majority of sales are on exclusive content. In fact more than 95% of our sales are generated by exclusive authors."

PhotoDune, is just one of the market places of Evanto. The Microstock market place is different as most people will be non-exclusives, including on PD.

wut

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 05:55 »

No, not 95% of photographers are exclusive. He's said in his blog "Here on our marketplaces, the vast majority of sales are on exclusive content. In fact more than 95% of our sales are generated by exclusive authors."

PhotoDune, is just one of the market places of Evanto. The Microstock market place is different as most people will be non-exclusives, including on PD.

Indeed, my bad. But still the percentage seems oddly high, it looks like they are pushing exclusive content much harder than IS etc (which of course is bad for non-exclusives). OTOH I find that stat weird, since all of the top contributors on their ranking board are non-exclusive (Yuri, andresr etc)

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13 »

Indeed, my bad. But still the percentage seems oddly high, it looks like they are pushing exclusive content much harder than IS etc (which of course is bad for non-exclusives). OTOH I find that stat weird, since all of the top contributors on their ranking board are non-exclusive (Yuri, andresr etc)

The stat 95% is not referring to PD, but referring to all of the market places collectively. Although having said that, now that they have their microstock market place, which deals with the largest volumes of any of their market places (almost all will be non-exclusives), that 95% stat that they have will go into free fall.

rubyroo

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:32 »
Thanks very much PD for paying attention to the voice of contributors.  I'm still not sure about the low pricing and EL issues, but I'm watching with greater interest due to this positive move on your part.

ETA:  Also, all these complaints about the uploading process are off-putting.  Surely there are enough negative comments in this for PD to sort out these issues.  An easy and happy uploading experience is pretty critical to the biz ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:39 by rubyroo »

eggshell

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36 »
I started uploading my port but was very quickly put off by the needlessly complicated uploading process . Why every new player is struggling to reinvent the wheel when there are so many well working examples ? Also the watermark needs to be brighter , I see many files where it's almost invisible

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10 »
Thanks for the good news Collis and also for taking the time to keep us informed.  It is much appreciated.  I would also like to see 50% royalties, but am prepared to wait a little while for that if you are going to use the 'extra' income for marketing to build the site in the meantime.

I uploaded to photodune late last week and have just had my first batch of images inspected.  It was a bit painful I have to say!  I have acceptance rates in the upper 80s/low 90s% with these same images elsewhere, so to only have about half accepted at photodune was a bit of a blow.

That said, I was very pleased to get a sale straight away.

I also got the 405 message, which threw me off briefly - it doesn't mean anything though, the submission has gone through, it just seems as though it hasn't.  I uploaded through http as I have never managed to get ftp to work and was (as others have said previously) a bit miffed at having to re-enter the title of the image, even though it was in the metadata.  If you could find a way to trim that out then it would speed things up a lot.

Thanks again, I wish you every success and please carry on communicating with us, it is much appreciated.

Bridget (StockCube)

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00 »
Just to echo what's already been said.

Thanks for the increase in commissions, it's always a welcomed changed and really great to see a site IMPROVING photographers deal as apposed to milking the contributers for whatever is possible (as seems to often be the case with many sites)

Also, thanks for all the news and info about how the site is going, the updates are really great.

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07 »
Definitely a step in the right direction.  It's great to see an agency being actively involved here and listening to contributors.  I'm still not ready to make the jump until the prices are raised. 

fotorob

• Professional stock content producer
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 08:27 »
Definitely a step in the right direction.  It's great to see an agency being actively involved here and listening to contributors.  I'm still not ready to make the jump until the prices are raised. 

Same here. Sounds interesting, but XXL prices are still too low for me...

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52 »
Thank you Collis!

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 12:38 »
Slightly off topic, but I was trying to help out a fellow newbie in the PhotoDune forums and post a reply explaining where to find something he couldn't find and when I went to submit my reply I received this error message and my reply was just wiped out!

"Please wait 10 mins between commenting/posting"

What on earth is that about? I had just replied in a different thread to someone who was kindly trying to help me out and then in trying to return the favor I get my knuckles rapped that I have to wait (and retype everything I just typed).

I'm going to be patient, but PhotoDune really needs to fix a variety of things about the upload process, documenting what new users are to do and whatever this "don't be useful for 10 more minutes" rule is on the forums or they'll be overwhelmed by the attempts of new users to start contributing.

The admins won't be around for a few more hours yet (assuming they're all in Melbourne).

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 12:40 »

They don't have 95% exclusive photographers, but I can see it with their tempates etc.  The website template designers provide all customer support for their buyers.  I can't imagine providing customer support over 15 sites.  They deserve a tremendous royalty because it must be a staggering amount of work that continues long after the product is uploaded.  Not that we don't deserve a higher royalty, but I don't think Photodune will be providing a whole lot of customer service to their photo buyers so I don't think they need to be greedy on their end either.

I don't think PhotoDune fully comprehend their potential with stock photos.  They could feasibly get 10 million photo uploads this weekend if they do it right.  I too am turned off by the upload from what others have reported and I haven't checked out the process on their site.  Who has time to zip files?  90% of my photos have one or more releases.  Maybe between Christmas and New Year I'll have time to look into - or maybe they will have a release manager by then.

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45 »
Adding- someone mentioned that you can opt-out of extended licenses.

Yes, that is an option, but my personal expectation is that buyers will just use the file illegally then.  These licenses need to be in line with other agencies.  They need to recognize that PhotoDune as a royalty free stock photo distributor, and not another site just like the ones that they already have.   

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 13:07 »
Can some one point me to their pricing structure? I am having trouble to find in on their website.
Thanks.

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 13:09 »
JSNover - I had that too when I tried to reply to my post asking for help with the 405 submission problem.  I started a thread, then went to my email inbox and found that my submission had gone through ok.  When I tried to go back to my photodune forum thread to say that all was well, it wouldn't let me for 10 minutes.  A bit annoying, but not a bug.

joshsprague

• I work at Envato! How can I help?
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 13:28 »
Can some one point me to their pricing structure? I am having trouble to find in on their website.
Thanks.

Hi flashon!  Here is the link you are looking for :)
http://photodune.net/wiki/account/money-account/payment-rates/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 20:32 by joshsprague »

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 13:30 »
... but not a bug.

It's not a bug, it's a feature...

I guess I'd say that if it's intentional, it's a really idiotic feature. Especially the part about wiping out what you wrote instead of leaving it on the page so you can submit it once you've done your 10 minutes of jail time.

Does it have to do with being new to the system and once they know you're not some lunatic spammer you can post as and when you see fit? The issue is that when forums are used for support, it's most often the newbies who have problems and are helping out other newbies - so the time you need it most you can use it least. Not cool.