pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Change in Commission Structure for *ALL* 123RF.com Contributors  (Read 114619 times)

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 21:08 »
Yep, totally agree with the last two posts.

Also - it is the 6th of December.  With inspections running at two weeks plus you will have to upload today to be in with any sort of chance of getting your images inspected and accepted before 1st Jan, given that the holiday period lies in between.

There should be a pop up when you log in to tell you this, as a lot of people who don't come in here will have no idea.

My concern as well.  I have just under 100 images up on 123RF and they've been selling well.  But if I upload another 70 or so (gotta make allowances for rejections) what's the odds of them all being reviewed in the time left?  Particularly given the holidays that will pretty well wipe out the end of the month.

And the only place I heard about this was on the MSG forum.  No e-mail or pop-up on site.   >:(

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 06:46 »
Anyone getting this?

Earnings
You are not authorized to view this page

My pending files, portfolio, everything else is accessible.

yep for a while now but if you check a few minutes later it will work :)

Or logout and log back in - that normally works

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 09:19 »
Hi All,

1. Paid downloads = creds + subs
2. If you have a good portfolio and are having good downloads, you can appeal ...
3. As long as you make the cut, your commission share will still be 50%

Hope everyone is clearer with the explanation above.

Alex.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Why didn't we get to hear this via a site e-mail or a frontpage announcement? Not every contributor reads the MSG forums.
2. Why didn't you announce it 3 months prior?
3. Why punish contributors with a commission cut anyway? Contributors should be rewarded for being at 123RF, not penalized.

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19 »

Please answer the following questions:

1. Why didn't we get to hear this via a site e-mail or a frontpage announcement? Not every contributor reads the MSG forums. +1
2. Why didn't you announce it 3 months prior?
3. Why punish contributors with a commission cut anyway? Contributors should be rewarded for being at 123RF, not penalized. +1

4. Why are files pending review for 2 weeks or more? it has something to do with new commission structure?
5. How can we know that this commission cut won't turn into another cut for ALL users in a few months??  ???

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48 »
Hmmmm...   All the big 4, however badly folks believe they are treated, have level structures based on performance and / or exclusivity so new contributors can aspire to better things.  This development is making "2nd class citizens" on something as arbitrary as a date and is fundamentally unfair. 

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 15:09 »
A little word of a newbie.

I have a fulltime job in IT but photography was a "serious" hobby the last year. After some messing around I discovered stock photography and decided to give it a try. I joined DT and FT and discovered this was quiet a serious business and I was forced to improve my photo's. So I forgot it for a while, learned a lot and invested in some new material. Then I was ready to give it a new shot.

I discovered this site that pointed me to some new agencies like 123rf and Canstockphoto. Around May I joined both sites and started to send in my modest work. I was very happy form the start, 123rf made me sales immediately and canstockphoto accepts nearly everything. . For me as hobbyist this was the ideal setup. I could earn some money from my "best" stockphoto's  at 123rf and my other work could have some extra exposure through canstock  and since they offered the one time download (no credit or subscription needed) maybe a "fan" could buy it .
Now I hope my new agency, 123rf, will not shoot me in the back. I really don't understand their motivation. A picture that sells...sells whatever the source is. For newbies like me who have 11 downloads it makes no big difference if they have to pay 5$ or4$.  If they don't want startups like me, please  tell it now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 15:14 by 7Horses »

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 15:53 »
If they don't want startups like me, please  tell it now.

It's probably not that they don't want newbies. They just want to pay them less while not angering good performing existing contributors.

Wow, so even the lower tier sites are starting the process of wringing contributors dry.

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 19:13 »
It's not yet clear - given the absence of anything detailed about what exactly they are planning to implement - that it is a pure cash grab, although that's certainly what recent experience has led many of us to fear.

It would be good to have a date by which we'll see the details on this. Why drop bombshell and then go silent?

If this is just a tiered earnings system - similar to SS's - where the cash you've earned the agency gets you a higher rate over time, I don't think there'll be much fuss. If it's an arbitrary two-tier rate with no opportunity for newcomers to earn the 50% we're now getting, I think it won't be long before the rest of us see a rate cut. Growth in profits coming from squeezing contributors is not a long term strategy.

If we won't get any news until the new year, let us know now when the details will be forthcoming.

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 17:01 »
I understand the annoyance for people who have not reached the levels, and it is never good to see rate cuts, but I am thankful to finally see an agency grandfather rates for the majority of people rather than slash for everyone.

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 21:15 »
Now I hope my new agency, 123rf, will not shoot me in the back.
People longer active in microstock have their back full of shotgun scars. Would you like to be shot in the front instead?

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 23:27 »
Woohoo, I made it.

When I first found out about the change in commissions, I had 92 files accepted at 123RF. I got to work and submitted several files that I hadn't already sent to 123 and created many many more new images/vectors.

As of earlier today I had 75 files pending review. I just logged in and found that 72 of those files were accepted.

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2011, 02:14 »
well I guess I will not be joining in the NEW Year. Another thing I don't have to do. I was thinking I should join as they seem to be getting better sales than a year or ago.

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2011, 04:37 »
*!

149 approved!

I have sent support an email about one rejected image but I am not hopeful, a shame as 123 is doing ok for me with my small port.

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2011, 19:43 »
!

149 approved!

I have sent support an email about one rejected image but I am not hopeful, a shame as 123 is doing ok for me with my small port.

Good thing you can appeal!   :)

w7lwi

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2011, 16:19 »
Well I uploaded 108 images, all selling elsewhere.  Only need 66.  Let's see how long it takes to review.  Don't hold out that much hope, but all I can do is try.

For some reason I have never received an e-mail from 123 letting me know the status of submitted images (accepted, rejected or whatever).  Is there some setting I need to review in my profile or elsewhere to get this?  Same problem with Veer ... no e-mail status updates.  Suggestions?

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2011, 04:11 »
Well I uploaded 108 images, all selling elsewhere.  Only need 66.  Let's see how long it takes to review.  Don't hold out that much hope, but all I can do is try.

For some reason I have never received an e-mail from 123 letting me know the status of submitted images (accepted, rejected or whatever).  Is there some setting I need to review in my profile or elsewhere to get this?  Same problem with Veer ... no e-mail status updates.  Suggestions?

No, 123 do not send out status emails. You just need to check into your account (under "For Photographers " -History, on the bottom right of the home page) to check the status. Veer used to send status emails but mine stopped coming about a year ago so I guess they stopped as well. Again, just check into your account "Dashboard" and click on the Approved/Rejected tabs ( no need to be in a hurry to do this at Veer ;)). Good luck with your submissions. Regards, David.

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2011, 18:31 »
I uploaded a bunch and 1 was rejected because of a problem with the preview, so I now I've got 149 images. So close but now it's too late :-\

lisafx

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2011, 12:17 »
Hey there,

For those of you who are still at the gates waiting to make the cut by about 50 images or so, we're creating a last minute VIP line only for MSGers.

PM me with your 123RF userID, I'll get people to review it for you quickly ;)

Happy New Year!

Alex.

Wow!  This is really thoughtful!  I am already over the line, but this is a very nice perk for MSG.  Thanks Alex, and Happy New Year to you and the gang at 123RF too :)

w7lwi

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2011, 16:10 »
Great.  E-mail just sent.

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2011, 16:40 »
That is pretty cool!  Nice job Alex.

Hey there,

For those of you who are still at the gates waiting to make the cut by about 50 images or so, we're creating a last minute VIP line only for MSGers.

PM me with your 123RF userID, I'll get people to review it for you quickly ;)

Happy New Year!

Alex.

w7lwi

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2011, 13:01 »
Images reviewed and made the grade.  Many thanks to Alex and all the crew at 123.

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2011, 13:14 »
And my images are waiting since 13/12 for a review.  ??? FY

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2011, 14:10 »
Just got a bunch of photos approved, so I'm at 155 now!
The only thing I worry about is that it takes them a couple of days until they appear in my portfolio. Do they have to appear in my port by January 1st or is it enough that I already got them accepted before that day?

Regards