pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Deleting Soft Rejected Images  (Read 5669 times)

« on: December 07, 2011, 03:54 »
A suggestion.

Is there a way to have multiple delete boxes in "Hidden" without having to open each Soft Rejected file and delete it and go back to "Hidden" to delete another file again?

joshsprague

• I work at Envato! How can I help?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 18:49 »
A suggestion.

Is there a way to have multiple delete boxes in "Hidden" without having to open each Soft Rejected file and delete it and go back to "Hidden" to delete another file again?

This is a good question.  I don't believe this is an option at the moment but I will suggest it as a feature as I can definitely see the value.  Great suggestion!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 20:39 »
I'd love a feature that just let you have the files automatically deleted after a week or two. Optional of course. I am not going to make changes to files except in the rarest of cases - and all the current soft rejections I'm just deleting. So I just want the files to go away like hard rejections do without any action on my part.

The reality of life as a new site is that when you say in a soft rejection that, for example,  you want a series of four season views split up into individual images, that just isn't going to happen. Obviously each site has its own set of criteria, but the further you stray from the typical requirements, the less likely you are to get contributors making modifications.

In another case you soft rejected an isolated holiday garland shot straight down but on a diagonal suggesting it should be straightened like a crooked horizon (but somehow the others in that series, all shot the same way, were approved). All the shots should have been approved or rejected as there were only different colored baubles.

I guess the second suggestion here is that you need some sort of spot check on the reviewers as the current situation is highly inconsistent - all sites have a little of that, but yours seems to be more so than usual.  I'd expect that there be an audit of the review process to make sure it's working consistently. In the future, some sort of formal appeal (rather than contributors asking in the forums) might also make sense.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:54 »
....and all the current soft rejections I'm just deleting. So I just want the files to go away like hard rejections do without any action on my part.

Deleting soft rejections is a slow and tedious process at this stage. I don't think I have the time to go through them. They are just piling up.

Let's have all rejections be hard one.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 14:10 »
another problem with soft rejects is that if we do re-submit, there's no response to any comments to the reviewer - they just end up as another soft reject with the same rejection reason -- as others have mentioned, some soft rejects ask that groups of 3 or 4 images be broken up into single images, but this isnt always practical

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 17:55 »
I'd love a feature that just let you have the files automatically deleted after a week or two. Optional of course. I am not going to make changes to files except in the rarest of cases - and all the current soft rejections I'm just deleting. So I just want the files to go away like hard rejections do without any action on my part.

The reality of life as a new site is that when you say in a soft rejection that, for example,  you want a series of four season views split up into individual images, that just isn't going to happen. Obviously each site has its own set of criteria, but the further you stray from the typical requirements, the less likely you are to get contributors making modifications.

In another case you soft rejected an isolated holiday garland shot straight down but on a diagonal suggesting it should be straightened like a crooked horizon (but somehow the others in that series, all shot the same way, were approved). All the shots should have been approved or rejected as there were only different colored baubles.

I guess the second suggestion here is that you need some sort of spot check on the reviewers as the current situation is highly inconsistent - all sites have a little of that, but yours seems to be more so than usual.  I'd expect that there be an audit of the review process to make sure it's working consistently. In the future, some sort of formal appeal (rather than contributors asking in the forums) might also make sense.

This is some interesting feedback as it's quite different from the way our other marketplaces work. Interesting!

With regards to your series photo, this is a point of confusion for our review team at the moment that I'm working towards clarifying. We don't currently want to accept photo collages or combined photos (where you might include four photos in one) unless they provide enough utility and value. However, the image you provided as an example is along those lines, but clearly has purpose, utility and value so we want to accept those types of submissions.

Clarifying for the review team exactly what we do/don't want (which also involves documenting it) is sometimes harder than it seems though so it can sometimes be a bit of a process. You're welcome to email me when you have concerns like these though and I'd be happy to look into them. jarel[at]envato.com

With regards to your other points; those are great ideas and ones that I'm actively working towards implementing. Admittedly our system for checking reviewer consistency is quite lacking; it is one of the top issues I'm working on and working with our developers to build better tools and features to make this process easier and more consistent. I'm not sure how, exactly, it will work just yet but some sort of formal appeal feature is something we're looking at as well. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 18:07 »
With regards to your series photo, this is a point of confusion for our review team at the moment that I'm working towards clarifying. We don't currently want to accept photo collages or combined photos (where you might include four photos in one) unless they provide enough utility and value. However, the image you provided as an example is along those lines, but clearly has purpose, utility and value so we want to accept those types of submissions.

Clarifying for the review team exactly what we do/don't want (which also involves documenting it) is sometimes harder than it seems though so it can sometimes be a bit of a process. You're welcome to email me when you have concerns like these though and I'd be happy to look into them. jarel[at]envato.com

I really appreciate the offer to get in touch, but I'm just ignoring all PhotoDune rejects at this point. I can't really think of a polite way to say this (sorry), but given that the team doing the reviewing is some third party company, why would I want to invest any of my time helping them do a decent job? They aren't part of PhotoDune or committed to it, they're just hired guns.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 14:35 »
I really appreciate the offer to get in touch, but I'm just ignoring all PhotoDune rejects at this point. I can't really think of a polite way to say this (sorry), but given that the team doing the reviewing is some third party company, why would I want to invest any of my time helping them do a decent job? They aren't part of PhotoDune or committed to it, they're just hired guns.

A couple points of clarification here:

1) Yes, the PhotoDune review team is technically a third party company, but we have nonetheless "adopted" them into the Envato family and have a very hands on approach in working with them including visiting and working with them in person, taking them out to eat and other team building activities. We've made it clear for them that they are part of the team and we care about them as people, not just robots clicking away at photos all day. I believe this has established a higher level of commitment and interest from this team. :)

2) I certainly don't expect that you would help them do a decent job; that's not an author's responsibility and not something I would ask of our authors. I only ask for patience while we work at further developing the team and ironing out review process "bugs."

Thanks! :)