MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: changes to "currently processing uploads" on dashboard  (Read 7205 times)

« on: December 12, 2011, 22:05 »
I checked the dashboard to see if there has been progress on reviewing my files and noticed that what used to be a number X out of Y where I assume X related to the position in the queue and Y the total number of items in the queue.

The numbers were interesting in that it showed a number of things.

Reviews weren't being dealt off the "top" of the deck - I had images barely change their number in days while others dropped 10's of thousands and were reviewed in the same time. (another possible interpretation is that these images were dealt out to a slow reviewer who has barely reviewed any images in that time).

The total number of images in the queue gave a relative idea of how long the queue would be.

Now the images have a bar that presumably extends from a short orange bar at first through a yellow section in the middle and green at the right as it gets closer to getting reviewed.

I also see and like the fact that the number of days an image has been waiting are listed. (mine go up to 13 days though) - although plenty have been reviewed in less time.

It would be nice to see the total # of images in the queue though.

Another thing is that the bars do not continue to increase as the time increase but instead some of the older images have some very short bars.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 22:15 »
It remind me of 'Myst' and the challenge of figuring out what things mean, and how they connect :-)

I uploaded a few a couple days ago and now they have short orange bars too.  So I guess I can quit wondering if I actually successfully submitted them and assume orange means 'in reivew queue'.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 22:40 »
The old UI was pretty unpleasant, and while this is a little punchier, it doesn't seem any clearer.

The thing that stands out is the colored part of the bar. That's longer for the files that have been in the queue for less time - and which are at the top of the list - and shorter for the items which have been there longer.

On the longer color bars, they appear to be greener on the right end and redder on the left. To me, green says go and red stop. Or green would mean approve and red reject (perhaps that's Stockfresh 'coloring' my perceptions).

Even though things are apparently handled out of order, not on a first in first out basis, why do things get short and red the longer they're in the queue? And my 6 day items have pretty short bars - how long are your 13 day ones? They must be mere slivers.

I'd like to see a count of things in the queue; I'd prefer an upload date/time to a number of days, but the big things are that I'd like to be able to see a thumbnail and have the ability to edit metadata for any image that isn't yet being inspected. If I were to see a typo or realize a mistake in the title, as it stands right now I can only delete the file and upload it over again which seems pretty daft.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 23:14 »
The color bars are like some sort of Mensa puzzle. :-)

I think the site wasn't designed for microstock, it's just a spinoff variation of the site they created for other content.   That's why, for example, we get a page titled "Upload An Photo File".   

Doesn't matter, I guess.  I submitted a few that are already selling on the big 3 - if they're approved, I'll keep going.  If they're rejected, I'll probably pass on PD.  If a new site doesn't want what I have, that's ok but it's not worth trying to figure out why.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

For those that find this interesting, Mark (an Envato developer) posted on the
PhotoDune forums about the background to the change.

@Stockastic: A Mensa puzzle was not exactly what we aimed for... hopefully it grows on you.  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:41 by vtaeed »

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:21 »
I'd add that their "hidden" files directory needs what I would call simple, common sense fixes.  Let's look at a soft rejection that needs a model release.  I go to the edit file tool within the hidden folder and when I do that it requires me to attach a brand new full resolution file and then create a zip file for a single model release.  That is crazy.  The site should retain the original image and allow you to select from a pool of already uploaded model releases (within their own directory) and let you simply click on a drop down to select the model release, holding the CTL button add multiple releases.  To have to create a zip file for every combination of models within an image is so time consuming and cumbersome to manage that it isn't worth doing, especially if you have lots of combinations to create.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56 »
I really dont see the need of this feature but hey why not :D

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:34 »

For those that find this interesting, Mark (an Envato developer) posted on the PhotoDune forums about the background to the change.

I read the thread in that link, but beyond saying that it looked funky and that files were assigned to individual reviewers, I didn't see anything that explained what are those bars supposed to mean? I have a few files now at 7 days with short bars - all the newer ones with long bars are gone from the queue. What is that bar supposed to be telling me?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:55 by jsnover »

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:54 »
Hey it's a "progress bar" so  I assume  it's supposed to work like every other progress bar:  move rapidly to 95% complete and then sit there until eventually something happens.  :-)

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 16:54 »
the general upload process is easy once you imbibe the terminology used [eg, having to click 'upload' after uploading in order to 'process', then hacving to find 'hidden' to see soft rejects]

the concept of soft rejects is something all agencies should have- saves everyone a lot of time.  but it needs to be streamlined - vthe system response is slow, so just calling up each image to see what the reason is, takes time.  if you actually edit , it then takes you back to the dashboard ratherthan returning to the 'hidden' list

it would much easier if a brief desc of rejection reason was included on the hidden list - eg: lighting, model release, composition, etc, while retaining the existing full desc if an item is click3ed on

for many of my images, i can't change the composition or lighting, so i could just delete them immediately; others - like asking for a release when the image has no recognizable person can be resubmitted

also, when resubmitted there doesnt appear tot be any response [either by resubmitting OR when sent to support]- i've submitted several sets of images, eg human torsos, taken from old anatomy books - the reject said to submit separately, but tthese are already at max size, so i'd just have to add white space to meet filesize req

re the progress bar, i'd suggest eliminating it entirely, since it doesnt really tell us anything - what's the actual time difference between a 30% and a 90% bar?  in an RPG bar graphs give me an instant visual reading on my characters, here they just add more time.  given the way reviewers are assigned, order in line didnt tell us much either.  the current review process has a reasonable processing time, so more detail doesnt add much, and may detract in time spent creating the page. tighter, cleaner, faster rather than funky  or cute - plus more images can appear on a single screen

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 20:06 »
Weird.... I have photos submitted 5 days ago that had a progress bar that was more than half way complete yesterday. Now today the progress bar went backwards and is less than a querter complete. And photos submitted 3 days ago are 3/4's complete.

So my oldest submissions went backwards and now have the longest wait.

Is this happening to everyone?

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 20:14 »
Never pay any attention to a "progress bar".   

How many times does Windows tell you - while you're installing it - that it's almost done...  just a couple more details...